New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus rift Blurry Text?

Paddy234Paddy234 Posts: 33
Brain Burst
edited April 2017 in General
I have looked around online and it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people however for me in the home screen and alot of apps text appears kind of blurry especially around the edges of the text, almost like it's slightly smudged. Some apps apps are worse than others and robo recall doesn't seem just as bad. I have adjusted lense spacing to the most clear as possible. I wonder is this an issue or is it just due to the resolution. I notice it real bad when i look down at my controllers with the rift and the A,B,X,Y buttons are very blurry and i fight to focus, this i can see damaging my eyesight? Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,183 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    Yes it's normal but I'm not sure what effect it's going to have on your eyes. I've listened to some crap music in my life and it hasn't affected my hearing. 
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    lovethis said:
    Yes it's normal but I'm not sure what effect it's going to have on your eyes. I've listened to some crap music in my life and it hasn't effected my ears.
    It's just the strain on the eyes of trying to focus that will be the issue which affects them over time but hopefully before long we will have a 4K version that removes this issue 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,183 Valuable Player
    edited April 2017
    I wouldn't worry about it to much. People have said all sorts of things about VR and that it can be bad for your eyes. I get dry eyes because of the heat produced from the screens, but I won't let it bother me. If worst comes to the worst, I'll just visit spec savers and buy some glasses, it won't put me off using VR.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,567 Valuable Player
    It's true that it will improve with CV2 and CV3 but there is very little need to actually read text - you might need to once but then you know what it says - how often will you need to read the letters A,B,X,Y - every time, or do you now know what the letters are?  It sound like you are checking out the text, not reading it - you mention it being blurry around the edges?
  • Paddy234Paddy234 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2017
    It's true that it will improve with CV2 and CV3 but there is very little need to actually read text - you might need to once but then you know what it says - how often will you need to read the letters A,B,X,Y - every time, or do you now know what the letters are?  It sound like you are checking out the text, not reading it - you mention it being blurry around the edges?
    Yea it's just because i'm so immersed that trying to reading quite blurrish text is disorientating. Also in games we will certainly need to read text, think about fallout 4 or other RPG type games where on side quests you pick up journals to read etc, trying to read and focus would be so straining on the eyes 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,567 Valuable Player
    Paddy234 said:
    Yea it's just because i'm so immersed that trying to reading quite blurrish text is disorientating. Also in games we will certainly need to read text, think about fallout 4 or other RPG type games where on side quests you pick up journals to read etc, trying to read and focus would be so straining on the eyes 
    Yes good point on those longer games, Oblivion etc. - haven't played any like that yet but i suppose, thinking about it, the developers will have to come up with something - maybe you open the book and it opens up nice and large in front of you?
  • edmgedmg Posts: 1,086
    Wintermute
    VorpX has a feature that lets you 'zoom out' so the game looks like it's on a big screen in front of you. So  I use that for Skyrim when I have to read a book or something. I only see blurry text around the edges of the frame, and it's much less bad than it was on my Vive.