cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth VR not working in Oculus rift

SanNeo
Honored Guest
I have installed google earth vr from oculus store.
I have oculus touch also.
When I click on start , nothing happens. What should I go
22 REPLIES 22

ImpulseFTW
Honored Guest
Mine has also done this a couple times, also nothing renders fully, all buildings and areas end up looking morphed the 3d is there but the textures never fully load 😞

AlexFling
Honored Guest
Hi, I can also say I am struggling with Google Earth VR.  I have the touch controllers, and meet the specs. After clicking start it briefly says "now playing" and then returns to the home screen.  Have tried re-installing, rebooting etc, but same result.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you check the Oculus app under Settings -> General and look on the bottom and see if the version is either 1.13 or 1.14 (the other numbers don't matter)?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

daddyflo
Honored Guest
Mine is 1.14 and it is not loading either.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Can you make sure that all video cables (Rift and monitors) are connected to the primary dedicated GPU (usually the one on top)? Plugging anything into secondary cards or the motherboard video ports can cause issues.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cybereality
Grand Champion
Also, if you are using a laptop, it's possible the app is running on the integrated GPU and not the dedicated GPU, causing issues. You can go into Nvidia control panel 3D settings and in the profile for Google Earth VR, choose "Use High Powered Graphics Card". 

flexy123
Superstar

Can you make sure that all video cables (Rift and monitors) are connected to the primary dedicated GPU (usually the one on top)? Plugging anything into secondary cards or the motherboard video ports can cause issues.

I just wanted to say. I had temporarily, for technical reasons, kept my Rift connected to the GTX970 as always but made my integrated GPU my "primary GPU" and connected it to the monitor. Earth refused to launch...and SteamVR also requires the HMD and monitor on the SAME GPU. So while "in theory" it seems that it should work to for whatever reasons use the IGP together with a dedicated GPU, but use the IGP as the primary one, this is very flakey. Some VR apps work, but many won't.

cybereality
Grand Champion
It won't work across the board. For sure OpenGL apps have problems with this, though other apps could have issues too depending on how they were created.

NYRainMaker
Honored Guest
I figured it out I believe... you have to make sure that you Rift Goggles HDMI cable is plugged into the same graphics card as your monitor. For example, it was not working for me at first because my Rift HDMI was plugged into the graphics card HDMI slot, but my external monitor was plugged into a different slot that was attached to the motherboard integrated graphics card. As soon as I changed the external monitor to use up one of the slots of the dedicated graphics card.. it worked immediately thereafter. Good luck folks!