New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Google Earth VR not working in Oculus rift

SanNeoSanNeo Posts: 1
NerveGear
I have installed google earth vr from oculus store.
I have oculus touch also.
When I click on start , nothing happens. What should I go

Comments

• ImpulseFTWImpulseFTW Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine has also done this a couple times, also nothing renders fully, all buildings and areas end up looking morphed the 3d is there but the textures never fully load :(
  • AlexFlingAlexFling Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 2017
    Hi, I can also say I am struggling with Google Earth VR.  I have the touch controllers, and meet the specs. After clicking start it briefly says "now playing" and then returns to the home screen.  Have tried re-installing, rebooting etc, but same result.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,851 Oculus Staff
    Can you check the Oculus app under Settings -> General and look on the bottom and see if the version is either 1.13 or 1.14 (the other numbers don't matter)?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • daddyflodaddyflo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine is 1.14 and it is not loading either.
    Can you make sure that all video cables (Rift and monitors) are connected to the primary dedicated GPU (usually the one on top)? Plugging anything into secondary cards or the motherboard video ports can cause issues.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Also, if you are using a laptop, it's possible the app is running on the integrated GPU and not the dedicated GPU, causing issues. You can go into Nvidia control panel 3D settings and in the profile for Google Earth VR, choose "Use High Powered Graphics Card". 
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 779 Poster of the Week
    edited April 2017
    Can you make sure that all video cables (Rift and monitors) are connected to the primary dedicated GPU (usually the one on top)? Plugging anything into secondary cards or the motherboard video ports can cause issues.
    I just wanted to say. I had temporarily, for technical reasons, kept my Rift connected to the GTX970 as always but made my integrated GPU my "primary GPU" and connected it to the monitor. Earth refused to launch...and SteamVR also requires the HMD and monitor on the SAME GPU. So while "in theory" it seems that it should work to for whatever reasons use the IGP together with a dedicated GPU, but use the IGP as the primary one, this is very flakey. Some VR apps work, but many won't.
    It won't work across the board. For sure OpenGL apps have problems with this, though other apps could have issues too depending on how they were created.
  • NYRainMakerNYRainMaker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2017
    I figured it out I believe... you have to make sure that you Rift Goggles HDMI cable is plugged into the same graphics card as your monitor. For example, it was not working for me at first because my Rift HDMI was plugged into the graphics card HDMI slot, but my external monitor was plugged into a different slot that was attached to the motherboard integrated graphics card. As soon as I changed the external monitor to use up one of the slots of the dedicated graphics card.. it worked immediately thereafter. Good luck folks! 
  • AlexFlingAlexFling Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2017
    Control panel and then 
    nvidia settings, add google earth and ensure default gx card is the high performace one worked for me. Thank you Dev's 
  • infobitsinfobits Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I have an MSI GT73VR Titan Pro-425 laptop with GTX 1080 GPU. It has 1 HDMI port which I have the Oculus Rift headset plugged into. Installed Google Earth VR from Oculus store but it won't run. I have the latest Oculus Rift with touch controllers. I click Google Earth VR, it starts but then exits. No messages, nothing. Just clean exit. I use my same Oculus Rift account on another Desktop PC with Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 480 graphics card and it plays fine plugged into one of the HDMI ports. Why doesn't the software recognize and allow the use of the HDMI port on the laptop(s)! They should fix the software to work with VR ready laptops like this! All the other Oculus Rift games and software work on the laptop HDMI port but not Google Earth VR. I hope they figure out how to fix this!
    NerveGear
    Hello Oculus support, can you please investigate and do something to fix the Oculus version of Google Earth VR so that it will run on laptops with a single HDMI connection? This seems to be a common problem with many laptop users reporting that the Google Earth VR software does not work when plugged into VR ready laptop HDMI port while all other VR software runs just fine on the same single HDMI port.  So there must be something with Google Earth VR that does not recognize the HDMI port as valid and the program just errors out and exits. I would thinnk that you can contact Google developers to figure out what is causing the issue and get it fixed.
  • Pzero68Pzero68 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I installed earth vr recently from scratch and it would never work. After launching it would come back with an error message and a code. However when I installed it through steam VR it worked. Yesterday I found the solution for the oculus installation. When you go to the installation folder for earth vr check if the program is trying to run in administrator mode. I disabled this under properties and voila, now it starts without problems from the oculus home.
    NerveGear
    Pzero68 said:
    I installed earth vr recently from scratch and it would never work. After launching it would come back with an error message and a code. However when I installed it through steam VR it worked. Yesterday I found the solution for the oculus installation. When you go to the installation folder for earth vr check if the program is trying to run in administrator mode. I disabled this under properties and voila, now it starts without problems from the oculus home.
    I tried what you suggested and it did not work for me. I don't see how disabling administrative priviledges would make it work as it would have less chance of executing things.  I tried all sorts of rearranging the permissions settings and compatibilty modes.  Still does not work through the laptop's single HDMI port.  But all the other VR programs work fine through the same HDMI port.  So I think it has something to do with Googles software.  They need to fix it. But they don't seem to care.
    NerveGear
    I finally figured out why Google Earth VR wouldn't start up on Oculus Rift on my laptop PC HDMI port. I had the Rift Headset Audio playback device disabled in my audio playback devices settings in Windows 10 Pro. It has to have the Rift Headset Audio enabled.  For all those with laptops with valid HDMI ports using a qualified discrete GPU, make sure you have the audio enabled for the Oculus Rift headset.  Then Google Earth VR will start up and not exit. It's working on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro 425 laptop now using the single HDMI port. You don't need that separate mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which by the way also requires the audio feed to be enable or it too won't work properly. Problem solved here.
  • The_wondersThe_wonders Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    hi, there,
    still have google earth VR (ver1.4) problem with Oculus Rift (with GTX 1070). I connected the Headset and Monitor to the GTX1070. Google Earth VR just can not launch.  Help please...  
  • wpdaveywpdavey Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I cannot get my new Oculus Rift with Google Earth VR. Unless we can get this working we will take the Rift and PC back for a refund. The computer specifications and the error message are below. Thank you for help setting it up.

• TvVlietTvVliet Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited October 11
    wpdavey said:
    I cannot get my new Oculus Rift with Google Earth VR. Unless we can get this working we will take the Rift and PC back for a refund. The computer specifications and the error message are below. Thank you for help setting it up.

[SOLVED] I've been trying to fix this for WEEKS but I've finally done it:

I went into Nvidia Control Panel -> manage 3d settings -> select earth VR (or other) -> change CUDA to main GPU, OPENGL to main GPU and Power to maximum