cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a third sensor necessary?

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
I am pondering over the idea of getting a third sensor. I am reasonably happy with my 2-sensor 360 setup. Except for when I am standing in a corner at certain particular angles, the tracking has been pretty good. I am pretty sure a third sensor can get these angles covered.

But apart from that, does a third sensor add much to VR gameplay?

Please give me your input. Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
A third sensor is pretty neat for 360-setups, indeed, probably giving you that extra coverage that you would want at those particular angles. I found that moving from a 2-sensor 360 setup to a 3-sensor gave me much better positional tracking for the touch controllers as well. But I believe it was bow-and-arrow games like QuiVr that really made me want to do a 3-sensor, because it became very annoying to not be able to shoot accurately to the right of center because of occlusion of my right-hand controller.

Edit: To answer the original question, I don't believe it is absolutely necessary, but I would say it does improve the quality of your VR experience in 360-setups. Maybe it will become necessary when more competitive games come on the market, ones in which you will need all the accuracy you can get.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

darkeclypse
Protege
To get good tracking you need atleast 2 sensors to see your controllers at all times.. so when your body blocks the view of one sensor the 3rd will hopefully see it. Helpfull for large 360 scale use.

Monstaah
Heroic Explorer
I've been feeling the same way about a 3rd sensor, i know i'll get one eventually to eliminate the occasional occlusion i get from time to time but it's just going to be a matter of when i can afford the sensor over eating for a week..
PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
oooh it even has lights!! 😃

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
A 2 sensor 360 setup is rubbish. I tried 2 sensors and it just doesn't work well for 360 setup. I now have 3 and I'm happy.

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer
I think if you the room for 360 coverage it's worth it.  But I only have a moderate play area and not really worth it for myself. 
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
YES

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
I think it's absolutely worth it. Necessary, probably not - but now that I've got one I couldn't imagine going back. 

Javelin396
Adventurer
for peace of mind of not losing tracking i'd say its definitely worth it. even if your some1 who has no interest in using a roomscale setup and just want to do front facing games, the added coverage is nice to have so you dont have to worry about having to turn out of range of your sensors. im not huge into roomscale games myself but i have 4 sensors hooked up and they work great

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for all the input guys! Really helpful .

I finally placed my order for a third sensor. Another set of Touch actually. 

In addition to better tracking, I hope now with a third sensor, I can get the play seat area covered, so that I can resume playing DCSW, and start playing project cars. That makes it even more worth it.

Eagerly waiting for its arrival...