cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right... so Batman Arkham VR has a "worse" Teleport System than Wilson's Heart

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Let me begin by saying that I am thoroughly pleased with the VR experience of both games. I beat Wilson's Heart and loved it; I am working on completing Batman VR currently. I actually had to pause on one area because I have a fear of heights and the camera placed me atop a mighty high ledge 😐

Well done, VR. Well done.

Gratitude aside... having played Wilson's Heart first I (naturally) paid more attention to those reviews and discussions. The number of folks complaining about the node-based movement (aka blinking, aka Teleportation) was in high order. But now that I have moved on to Batman VR, I am having a WTF moment.

I remember all the great reviews for Batman VR:
https://www.google.com/#q=batman+virtual+reality+ps4+review

The reviews for Batman VR have terms like "superb" and "must-have" tossed around harder than bacteria ridden food at a budget buffet. Yet now that I'm actually playing it - and while I love the experience - there is no way in hell anyone should prefer the Teleportation implementation in Batman VR over Wilson's Heart. It isn't even creative in Batman VR... it is just a hovering bat-symbol with the letter "A" next to it (in case you forget which button to push).

Wilson's Heart has a very clever and hint-based Teleportation system; and often times it is part of the puzzle solving process (e.g. you will only see a Teleportation option if you are holding the proper item).

Both VR titles are fantastic in their own way, but I am starting to notice the good 'ol "console vs PC" mentality influencing PCVR in the form of: overly forgiving attitudes when reviewing Console-VR titles, while PCVR titles are measured on a scale that is intentionally set far above what the title clearly offers in order to ensure it gets a bad review.

It's a bias that I hope more noteworthy communities and Reviewers are able to overshadow. If not... that's okay, the PC gaming industry has survived and overcome each and every attempt of the console genre to achieve victory. Similar to how Heavy Metal survived Gunge music 😛

3 REPLIES 3

HiThere_
Superstar

Zenbane said:

it is just a hovering bat-symbol with the letter "A" next to it (in case you forget which button to push).
Unforgivable : They should have used the "B" button.

I believe the explanation is simple enough : It takes a few months for a new VR headset owner to switch from "motion sick" to "sick of teleportation motion", and Batman VR was released soon after the PSVR release.

Also you won't see a PSVR exclusive get a bad review for failing to provide a full 360° experience, because PSVR can't even provide a full 360° mode to begin with, so it's not like a PSVR user will be expecting one.

One year ago free locomotion made me motion sick (although only ~2 times before I got over it), but in 2017 I'm flying around with a grappling hook and loving it... and seriously frustrated when I want to move one step forward to grab something and have to teleport one step forward instead.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Cyril said:
Also you won't see a PSVR exclusive get a bad review for failing to provide a full 360° experience, because PSVR can't even provide a full 360° mode to begin with, so it's not like a PSVR user will be expecting one.

You were around back when the Rift first shipped, right? The CV1 didn't provide a full 360 experience to begin with, nor hand tracking... but omg the expectation, thus reviews, certainly demanded it. The number of doomsday predictions against Oculus for not meeting the tech specs provided by the Vive were in full form, with the expectations to match.

What you describe about the more reasonable expectations within the PlayStation VR community is exactly what I meant when I said, "overly forgiving attitudes when reviewing Console-VR titles."

When it came to the Oculus Rift release:
"What?! No hand tracking, 360, or room-scale? pfft. HTC Vive is the clear winner, Oculus has lost the VR war. Everyone better sell their Rifts now while they still can!"

When it comes to the PlayStation VR release:
"Both the Vive and Rift support 360, room-scale, and hand-tracking... yet Sony's PlayStation VR is best for sit-down front-facing experiences? No problem. What do people expect? This is a leading VR kit. Winner!"

I mean, look at how nice this article is when describing how to accomplish the daunting task of... watching 360 vids with PSVR:
https://www.vrheads.com/how-watch-360-degree-and-3d-youtube-playstation-vr

If that were an Oculus Rift article, the first few paragraphs would have been about how Oculus missed the mark terribly and failed to redeem themselves 😄

vannagirl
Consultant
Sony have been on free ride since the infamous E3 Xbox1 launch

i am personally still waiting for that killer exp that psvr has and none of the others, the unit is sitting in a cupboard. I found the tracking to be wanting, even on rifts worst day it was much better some seem to have it easy(just as rift) but wow it took forever trying to make it work

Am still hoping Sony stop trying to shoehorn and bring out a real tracking system instead of trying to stop upset their fans with another thing they need.

everyone seems to be loving Batman though, we have them to thank for that
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.