Change the Size of a Medium 3D Model — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Change the Size of a Medium 3D Model

SadikuASadikuA Posts: 17
NerveGear
edited May 2017 in Oculus Medium
Hi Guys, 

at first i want to say sorry for my bad english. 
I have a problem with Oculus Medium. I'm searching for a way to export my models from medium and change their seizes like in a CAD program because i want to get a .stl-File with the right seize of my model to print it with the 3D-printer. is there any way i can get the right model ?

i hope you all can help me 

greets

A. 

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,747 Valuable Player
    SadikuA said:
    Hi Guys, 

at first i want to say sorry for my bad english. 
    I have a problem with Oculus Medium. I'm searching for a way to export my models from medium and change their seizes like in a CAD program because i want to get a .stl-File with the right seize of my model to print it with the 3D-printer. is there any way i can get the right model ?

i hope you all can help me 

greets

A. 

I'm not very familiar with Medium, I gave it a try.  It was very cool, but I'm used to traditional 3d modeling not the sculpting modeling like Medium or Zbrush.  You should be designing your models from the beginning with the correct scale.  I'm sure medium has some measurement tools so you can keep the scale correct.  But you CAN scale the size of the model down in your slicer you use to prepare the gcode from the STL.  I would suggest using a program like Simplify3d to do this though.  (This package costs about $150 as opposed to the freebies) Simplify3d has a feature under the "other" tab that is labeled "Horizontal Size Compensation".  When you scale your model to fit on the build plate you will need to adjust the Horizontal Size Compensation if the scale shrinks the girth of any of your walls down below .6mm wide (Assuming that the tip of your nozzle has the standard .4 mm diameter hole to extrude through).  If you just scale without adjusting that parameter your model could be printed with a bunch of holes in it.  The preview window should show them to you though.  I hope this helps.  Scaling the STL in any 3d program prior to slicing would have the same effect on the model itself and would still require the tweaking of the Horizontal Size compensation.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,383 Valuable Player
    There isn't really a set scale in Medium. You're constantly resizing your model as you work on it, and there are no measuring tools.

That said, perhaps if you size the model (drag in/out with both grip buttons held) so it looks like the right scale before exporting, then it might come out close to what you want?

I think the best bet is to just export it and use a third-party program to resize it for 3D printing.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166 Poster of the Week
    I've had a lot of luck using Windows 10's new application 3D Builder. There's a scale tool that allows you to set the size of the model. In this screenshot, the length of the model is chosen (green arrows show selected axis). The length is displayed in the blue box beneath as 76.2mm and can be changed by clicking into the number field and entered manually. Units can also be changed. 

The measure tool can help when figuring out size and scale as well.

The application is super simple to use, can automatically find and correct errors in your model before you attempt to print them and is 100% free.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    What slicing program are you using?

Nearly all of them let you scale models, in Cura for example you can select the 'scale' button to make it whatever size you need :) See image below:

• SadikuASadikuA Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    is there a possibilty in oculus medium to create a exactly model built with 3 cubes for example which fits perfect together (edge on edge, area on area)? Because i want to build some components for my 3D printer which had to be acurate straight and not skew or oblique. With the touch its not possible even if i work precisely to built a straigth line of cubes or globes for example.

thanks

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,383 Valuable Player
    SadikuA said:
    is there a possibilty in oculus medium to create a exactly model built with 3 cubes for example which fits perfect together (edge on edge, area on area)? Because i want to build some components for my 3D printer which had to be acurate straight and not skew or oblique. With the touch its not possible even if i work precisely to built a straigth line of cubes or globes for example.

thanks
    If you need to build something precise, Medium is not the right tool to use. You should be using some sort of a CAD package that lets you define an object dimensionally rather than a free-form sculpting package.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • SadikuASadikuA Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    SadikuA said:

thanks
    If you need to build something precise, Medium is not the right tool to use. You should be using some sort of a CAD package that lets you define an object dimensionally rather than a free-form sculpting package.
    do you know, if i can use tinkercad with the oculus rift
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @SadikuA Not really, it's in-browser only. You could use virtual desktop to view the browser in VR but I wouldn't really see the point :)
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the same problem, I make something in medium and want to export it to Oculus home ... you know, medium and Oculus should know each other right? but there it no way to know what size your model will be in Oculus home i think it's a little odd to say the least that no one thought of a way to give at least an approximate size of what your model will be in Oculus home. I made a human model that should've been normal height in medium and once exported to Oculus home it was 10 feet tall
    Oculus Rift dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory, MSI 1070-TI
     on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard, EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 183 Oculus Staff
    kobs57 said:
    I have the same problem, I make something in medium and want to export it to Oculus home ... you know, medium and Oculus should know each other right? but there it no way to know what size your model will be in Oculus home i think it's a little odd to say the least that no one thought of a way to give at least an approximate size of what your model will be in Oculus home. I made a human model that should've been normal height in medium and once exported to Oculus home it was 10 feet tall
    Hi kobs57, there is a way to fix this! Have you tried using the Scene Origin? Here is a quick tutorial: 
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks Naomi I'm going to try that  ;)
    Oculus Rift dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory, MSI 1070-TI
     on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard, EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD