New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Latest driver update now gives me a headset thats no longer recognized

tk0121tk0121 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hey Guys -

Hopefully someone has some fresh ideas.

My Oculus Rift headset had a driver/firmware update the other day, and ever since it is no longer recognized by my PC.  In the Rift setup where I'm asked to connect the HDMI/USB for the headset, there's just two grey wheels that sit and spin forever.  The sensors are recognized as being connected just fine, but the headset refuses to connect.  The orange light on the headset is on, so I know it's getting power obviously.  I have attempted all the troubleshooting steps on the support page, and have verified that all my USB, audio, etc drivers are up to date - heck, I even reflashed my BIOS on my motherboard.  Also, tried removing and reinstalling Oculus app/drivers (and deleted the %localappdata% and %appdata% Oculus folders).

Everything worked fine up until the latest driver update for the headset, and this is REALLY frustrating; had I known this was going to happen, I would have left the drivers alone!

I have literally exhausted just about every suggestion found in google searches.  Is there any other tools or applications I can use to verify or reset the Oculus Driver stack?

Thanks!
Jason

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I would guess most likely it is a USB driver issue. You can try using a different USB port, updating or uninstalling the USB driver for the USB controller in Device Manager, or getting this USB add-on card.
    https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

The other possibility is that the headset has become non-functional and needs replacement. In either case, I would recommend submitting a support ticket here. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DCNovemberDCNovember Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    tk0121 said:
    Hey Guys -

Hopefully someone has some fresh ideas.

My Oculus Rift headset had a driver/firmware update the other day, and ever since it is no longer recognized by my PC.  In the Rift setup where I'm asked to connect the HDMI/USB for the headset, there's just two grey wheels that sit and spin forever.  The sensors are recognized as being connected just fine, but the headset refuses to connect.  The orange light on the headset is on, so I know it's getting power obviously.  I have attempted all the troubleshooting steps on the support page, and have verified that all my USB, audio, etc drivers are up to date - heck, I even reflashed my BIOS on my motherboard.  Also, tried removing and reinstalling Oculus app/drivers (and deleted the %localappdata% and %appdata% Oculus folders).

Everything worked fine up until the latest driver update for the headset, and this is REALLY frustrating; had I known this was going to happen, I would have left the drivers alone!

I have literally exhausted just about every suggestion found in google searches.  Is there any other tools or applications I can use to verify or reset the Oculus Driver stack?

Thanks!
    Jason
    This is EXACTLY the same problem I am having, and the same problem I have seen many many people having across this and other forums, all tied to the most recent updates that were released.  So NO, it's not a non-functioning headset, and it's not the USB drivers, unless they were impacted by the release of the most recent update.  I'll be submitting a support ticket as well, but it is HIGHLY unlikely that anything other than the release of the recent updates caused this.  It would be nice for Oculus to admit this and say they are working the issue, instead of suggesting the equivalent of "Ctrl-Alt-Del."  
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    To be honest, I am not sure what the issue is and I'd need more information before saying for certain it was one thing or the other. I was just making a few guesses based on the limited information in this thread. Of course it's possible there was something in the latest update that causes this behavior, but I don't know that right now. Best to submit a support ticket with your logs and we can investigate further. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DCNovemberDCNovember Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I placed the ticket, and the first thing I was told was to check the HDMI connection - this was AFTER relaying all the things I had already done attempting to get this expensive device working.  Well, that wasn't the issue, so now I have to wait for a response which may or may not offer better direction...

• VampireNZVampireNZ Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    The sooner Oculus looks INWARD for the solution to these problems the better I think. Less finger pointing at the consumers USB connection, HDMI connection, colour of their curtains etc etc... (yes, all of which are irrelevant as they were exactly the same BEFORE Oculus changed the software and broke something!).
    Not directed at you specifically Cyber - just a general observation..
  • jorjordandanjorjordandan Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 2017
    Same issue here, except headset is visible, and sensors have disappeared! Played with my rift for ten minutes, no issues, have never had any usb issues, got the latest update, updated the drivers, suddenly my sensors aren't recognized. Tried moving them to a different hub, to usb 2, etc, made sure all drivers up to date, etc, but my sensors have vanished from the Oculus software. Hope this gets fixed. Also reinstalled all oculus software. HMD is fine, the USB for the HMD is fine.... I can put it on and see rotational tracking and the message that a sensor isn't found.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Why not build a RIFT_OS that completely runs the rift on its own stable config. 
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Sorry but i just have to .. :) 

" UNINSTALL ANTIVIRUS " - like all of it - I have spent 5 days under the hood - and this is what fixed all my myriad of issues - I'm talking every issue over my whole System and Oculus. Now Rift is smooth and SteamVR is running like a Dream.  

• xtremeviperxtremeviper Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I have same problem. Firmware updated and headset never works again..not usb/hdmi detection.
    In my case is not ANY of the solutions found on internet..