New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No sound in my Rift

SeascapeVRSeascapeVR Posts: 1
NerveGear
I am not able to get any sound from my RIFT. I have contacted support and opened a case but now that my unit is two days past one year old I am not getting ANYWHERE not ANY RETURN EMAILS... It is like they just stopped after I gave them my information on my unit...???

Anyway before anyone regurgitates the obvious... Yes I have checked the settings and I can get sound from the PC speakers just not the goggles... I have second Rift unit and I have swapped the main cable and speakers to the newer on and they work just fine... So my question is what else is there I can do???
Also Why won"t OCULUS SUPPORT return an email?
How can I get this replace under warranty???

Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm terribly sorry about this. I don't know why it has taken so long to get a response but I will put someone on this right away. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ThugThug Posts: 435
    Trinity
    I have the same issue but only with certain games like Blaze Rush (plus a few others).
    Now every time I play with the Rift I go into my PC setting and change the default headphones to Rift from my sound card.
    Its easy to do, just go to the speaker bottom right of screen - right click - playback devices and choose Rift Audio as your default.
    I do this no matter what games I play as it only takes a couple of seconds.
    Don't forget to change it back when you are done though.
    Might be worth a try.
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • ViznutSNViznutSN Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited May 2017
    SeascapeVR, you might skim through this post to see if it give you any clues.  I fixed a Rift Audio problem myself recently:
    Perhaps you'll find something useful in the event log.
  • EraromikEraromik Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    If you are still having sound issues it can be your usb 3 controller getting overloaded. Just put the headset in usb 2 instead, shouldn't affect performance. Leave 2 sensors in usb 3.
    If it works but the sound lacks in quality or something else happens buy an extra pci-e to usb3 card.
  • XxGingerSharkxXXxGingerSharkxX Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited October 2017
    Okay so I seem to be having the same problem, but mine seems to be more hardware related. I have had my rift all the way back in May of last year. It has worked without fail, until last night when I was pulling the straps on the side the tight the headset down.

once I just tugged a little on them. The audio cuts out. Before any one asks. I ran through all the basics (anything unplugged or loss, audio settings) and did all the trouble shooting from oculus and nothing. I’m going to see if the wireing to the headset is busted later when I get home by taking an old digital camera and seeing if the inferred leds are working. If not then I’m sure it the head straps. In the mean time my pc has Bluetooth and I have a Bluetooth headphones, I know those work.

I have even emailed support twice, The first time they responded in 15min but after replaying to that email nothing. I even emailed again today and that was a few hours ago. 

I bought a two year warranty and I’m sure it still is under. I’m trying to see if I can replace it but no response from support. 

Hope CV2 fixes this problem 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I see your ticket, and it is active and in the queue. Please be patient, as it may take some time to get an answer and complete all the troubleshooting steps. Just to give you an idea, potential RMA cases can take several days (or longer) to go through. Your ticket is from yesterday, so there is nothing abnormal about that wait time. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    edited October 2017
    Did you try playing a youtube clip with the Rift set up as default sound? You can play sounds of your computer while you are in Oculus Home
    Does it play?
    That is the way I test it when no sound out of the rift.
    I have found that sometimes games just drop their sound half way through a level. Robo Recall is notorious for it. 
  • PragimusPragimus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thug said:
    I have the same issue but only with certain games like Blaze Rush (plus a few others).
    Now every time I play with the Rift I go into my PC setting and change the default headphones to Rift from my sound card.
    Its easy to do, just go to the speaker bottom right of screen - right click - playback devices and choose Rift Audio as your default.
    I do this no matter what games I play as it only takes a couple of seconds.
    Don't forget to change it back when you are done though.
    Might be worth a try.
    I have the same issue with Subnautica VR.  By default, sound goes through the monitor speakers, not the Headset.  So, quick and dirty, I disable my monitor speakers [all three of em] and suddenly I have surround sound getting piped in through the headset and my situational awareness skyrockets.... for about 5-30 minutes.... then all sound goes away.  As for Robo Recall, I've yet to see the same happen... so I'm thinking it might be because the game is still officially in development, however if it's something on my end, I'd sure like to do all I can to eliminate a problem from my setup, via hardware or software.
  • XxGingerSharkxXXxGingerSharkxX Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I did find out that it is a hardware issue. I took my face cam on my iPhone and found that the Uv leds on the head strap on the back of the head loose power when moves forward on the slide rails. Just a little and boom no power. I even took my voltmeter and tested the contact point to the headphone on the right and left. Same thing. If it moves forward at all, no power. At least the rest of the headset still working and my laptop pc has Bluetooth, so I can use my wireless headphones. Support did get ahold of me and I gave them all the info I could to get a replacement. May not happen, lost the receipt a while ago. Keep the receipt with the box. Tape it in there if you have to.
  • zach.johnson.56481zach.johnson.56481 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am having the same problem, except i can hit the menu and sounds are here and there. i go into beat saber and it only plays out of my freaking computer, i am very angry and nothing helps
  • ArmetralArmetral Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    yes same issue.   after several months no audio.  unplugged one and replace it so, its diffinetly hardware.  very dissappointed
  • graxthalgraxthal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I was getting no sound in VR, but the headphones were working in windows, so it seemed like a software/config issue.  The solution I found (these steps are for Windows 10 users):

Right-click the sound icon in your system tray, click Open Sound Settings, then click the first Device Properties (the one for your Headphones).  Click the Advanced tab, then in the drop-down menu select CD Quality instead of DVD Quality.

For some reason this fixed the headphones not playing any sounds in VR for me.