New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Too many apps and games under win 10

ksnksn Posts: 38
Brain Burst
Is it some kind of Win 10 promotion to sell apps and games with Win 10 minimum requarements? Do all this stuff really needs Win 10?
For example, Chernobyl VR Project wants Win 10 in Oculus Store. But (what a miracle!) it needs only Win 7 in Steam.
What the point of this? 
Thank you.

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    erm, why would you be using windows 7 still?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    elboffor said:
    There's as many people using Win 7 as are using Win 10. There's 30% more people using 7&8 combined than 10. 
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    elboffor said:
    because windows 10 is a bloated piece of shit? the only reason i use it is on my gaming pc which requires it for forza horizon 3 and most vr crap

even with "admin" rights, you cant turn off all this super annoying shit that you dont necessarily need and runs on the background, like cortana, even if you "disable" it, it still runs as a process and although i havent put much effort in, there didnt seem to be a way to stop it, and there lots of othwr bullshit in there just like that that im not going to bother looking up or writing about because this OS has already wasted too much of my time 
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    ksn said:
    Is it some kind of Win 10 promotion to sell apps and games with Win 10 minimum requarements? Do all this stuff really needs Win 10?
    For example, Chernobyl VR Project wants Win 10 in Oculus Store. But (what a miracle!) it needs only Win 7 in Steam.
    What the point of this? 
    Thank you.

Probably because Windows 7 is an old unsupported (Microsoft no longer supports it)  release of windows at this point.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,989
    Wintermute
    win 7 end of life isnt until 2020
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • ksnksn Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2017
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    What the point of this? 
    Thank you.

Probably because Windows 7 is an old unsupported (Microsoft no longer supports it)  release of windows at this point.
    http://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2017/01/24/eda6ff0f-e9a8-47ef-b9ef-e7dd362bd1f2/3592f072df42c227e4677edf9b9a50ea/analytics-three-sources-h2-2016.jpg
     :|
    As i mentioned above, we have the same game project on Steam and on Oculus Store and it has different OS minimum specifications. Software supports Win 7 supports Win 10 as well, but not vise versa.
    The real reason of it is just Win 10 promotion. Probably Mark have some preference from Microsoft and do this sh1t for that reason  :/.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Sorry for the confusion. We're looking into the situation now. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    edited May 2017
    While there isn't that many games that require Windows 10, it's true that some of them are listed as requiring Windows 10 only because the developer hasn't tested it on Windows 7, and the Oculus Store won't allow anyone to download if it says Windows 10, even if it does work on Windows 7.

Like "Rec Room" was initially listed as Windows 10 in the Oculus Store, so I asked the developer to reduce it's requirement to Windows 7, and in all simplicity you can now download and use it : The developer didn't have a Windows 7 computer and was worried that one of the VR cameras wouldn't work in Windows 7 (which is like 0.1% of the content of "Rec Room"), and turns out that even that camera worked fine under Windows 7, along with the other 99.9% of "Rec Room".

The only worthwhile reason I know of for requiring anything above Windows 7 is applications that duplicate the Windows OS into VR (such as "Virtual Desktop"), which do require Windows 8+ unless you want to program it back yourself...

And even in some of those rare cases, providing Windows 7 support would probably be as simple as disabling Windows OS duplication when running on Windows 7.

Fortunately there's more then enough content on Windows 7, to ignore the low amount of Windows 10 content.

About Windows 10 representing 30% of the Windows 7/8/10 market:
    - Last time I checked Microsoft was including tablet and smartphones to boost the amount of their "Windows 10" installed device numbers, which of course are unable to run the CV1, so it's probably installed on less then 30% of the "desktops".
    - Doesn't matter if Microsoft is buffing their Windows 10 numbers either way, because what really matters is the % of "CV1" running on Windows 10 desktops, which only Oculus VR would know.

Although it wouldn't hurt having Oculus VR performing a Windows 7 compatibility check themselves (or just list them as Windows 10 but let us download it on Windows 7 anyway so we can go check for ourselves really...), because some developers simply don't have any Windows 7 desktops left (after upgrading them all to Windows 10 for free, but losing their Windows 7 license in that process).
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    I completely agree. There is no support for Linux by Oculus anymore. That's really annoying. I don't even have a computer running Windows anymore. Everyone at work uses OSX or Linux. I don't think I have seen anyone using Windows.

Valve is starting to support Linux on the Vive
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Serious-Sam-VR-FE-Linux

New hardware from Valve and Linux support may sway me to the Vive later this year
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/microsofts-new-vr-controllers-will-be-great-until-steamvr-knuckles-arrive/
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    Keep in mind that's the cost for the "entry price" headset, and that it's hand tracking is limited to the line of sight, although it's the headset positional tracking I'm curious about... Does it use inside-out tracking for that ?

Basically it's the right headset (400$ ballpark with hand controllers), but it's technically one year late to the party, depending on how fast the second generation headsets come out.

Next step is achieving higher resolution through eye tracking hardware, and maybe some additional tracking to help solve the locomotion issue (foot/waist tracking ? ).
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    ksn said:
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    What the point of this? 
    Thank you.

http://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2017/01/24/eda6ff0f-e9a8-47ef-b9ef-e7dd362bd1f2/3592f072df42c227e4677edf9b9a50ea/analytics-three-sources-h2-2016.jpg
    As i mentioned above, we have the same game project on Steam and on Oculus Store and it has different OS minimum specifications. Software supports Win 7 supports Win 10 as well, but not vise versa.
    The real reason of it is just Win 10 promotion. Probably Mark have some preference from Microsoft and do this sh1t for that reason  :/.
    I doubt it is that reason, who knows.
    Brain Burst
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    What the point of this? 
    Thank you.

Well i just think the worst. Probably Cyril is right and devs just put Win 10 into minimum requarements to avoid any risks they product gives some bugs under Win 7 it was not tested under.
    But anyway it's strange to see the same game with different minimum OS requarements depending on store you buy it in.
    Brain Burst
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    falken76 said:
    ksn said:
    What the point of this? 
    Thank you.

Well i just think the worst. Probably Cyril is right and devs just put Win 10 into minimum requarements to avoid any risks they product gives some bugs under Win 7 it was not tested under.
    But anyway it's strange to see the same game with different minimum OS requarements depending on store you buy it in.