New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR is Officially Mainstream (??)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,784 Valuable Player
edited October 2017 in General
Moments ago during the NBA playoffs, I just saw this commercial on prime TV:

First of all, that commercial is badass. Second... yeah, I think this confirms the Mainstream nature of the VR Industry.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,772 Valuable Player
    I love that advert, it's awesome. Great choice of music too.  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078 Poster of the Week
    The idea of a flightless bird enjoying the sensation of flight through VR.

Image result for images perfect meme
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,873 Volunteer Moderator
    That commercial was first shown during the Samsung S8 launch live stream. :)

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Saw this add several weeks ago on television.

'do what you can't'
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,243 Valuable Player
    Yeh Gear VR is VeRy much the market leader. How many millions of those things are in the wild now?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Yeah saw that ad awhile ago, awesome sound track as well just makes it! 

@Shadowmask72 latest rumours are it's nearing 10 million  :o
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,873 Volunteer Moderator
    While Rocket Man is a great song (especially the WIlliam Shatner version), it seems a bit too, umm, mornful? They need something more energetic. Imagine it with Queen's Don't Stop Me Now (the lyrics fit the action way better) or Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride. Or for a more modern flying related song Can't Stop Won't Stop's Scrape The Sky.

Anyway... I don't know about ostriches, but emus taste great. I sometimes get emu jerky from Woolworths. So good!
    (Just don't get a cassowary confused with an emu (they're related). Emu: makes good jerky, tastes like beef. Cassowary: can run 31mph, leap 5 feet in the air and has murdered humans with clawed jump kicks to the throat and stomach)

• GaluzGaluz Posts: 492
    Nexus 6
    Come zenbane, everyone has high hopes for you, officially is spelt with 2 Ls not 1.
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,784 Valuable Player
    My grammar has taken a nose dive this year. Big thimes
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    I'm the last person in the world to call anyone out on spelling or grammar. This is due to the volume of typing errors I make.

But I think you will find that you incorrectly used that second comma. It should read: "Come zenbane, everyone has high hopes for you. Officially is spelt with 2 Ls not 1.".

There are several other amendments that could be made, but due to regional differences they may not be incorrect.

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    edited May 2017
    elboffor said:
    "Come Zenbane, everyone has high hopes for you. Officially is spelt with 2 L's not 1."

Yes this would be the grammatically correct version of that statement. A+ hot stuff

(the period was left off the last statement intentionally)
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    That was pretty awesome, good things continue to come!
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    That commercial was great! Also, @kojack , I like how even just the sight of an ostrich immediately made you wonder what it would taste like as jerky. You're truly one of the greats of our time, never let the man hold you down.
    edited May 2017
    kojack said:
    While Rocket Man is a great song (especially the WIlliam Shatner version), it seems a bit too, umm, mornful? They need something more energetic. Imagine it with Queen's Don't Stop Me Now (the lyrics fit the action way better) or Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride. Or for a more modern flying related song Can't Stop Won't Stop's Scrape The Sky.

Anyway... I don't know about ostriches, but emus taste great. I sometimes get emu jerky from Woolworths. So good!
    (Just don't get a cassowary confused with an emu (they're related). Emu: makes good jerky, tastes like beef. Cassowary: can run 31mph, leap 5 feet in the air and has murdered humans with clawed jump kicks to the throat and stomach)

I'm more partial to Kangaroo meat myself. I last used it to make Teriyaki Kangaroo Stir-fry with Mi-Gooreng noodles. I don't know what it is about Roo meat, it's like beef but it has this extra tangy kick to it that is just awesome. Also aparently healthier .. according to..  something I read..  somewhere..  at some point...
    On more than one occasion, I have eaten Ostrich burgers at a Texas Hamburger joint called, Fuddruckers.

There, I said it.
    Maybe they can make a Kangaroo VR Commercial, where the Kangaroo puts on a GearVR and experiences .. walking normal .. or .. not getting hit by cars.
    Or the Kangaroo is boxing the sheit out of Iron Mike Tyson (in his prime)!
    Zenbane said:
    Or the Kangaroo is boxing the sheit out of Iron Mike Tyson (in his prime)!
    I'm sure japanese animal activists will get it banned. We will have to settle with having a bear or a panda.
    edited May 2017
    I love that the Cassowary is (clearly) a huge Horror VR fan.

I think I saw this particular Cassowary in the Seance app that released in the Oculus store last week :o
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    kojack said:
    I've tried kangaroo, but didn't really like it. Crocodile isn't bad. Shark is pretty damn nice. Camel burgers are good too.

Ostrich:

Emu:

Cassowary:

The moral of the story, if an ostrich uses a GearVR, then an emu would be a CV1 fan (just look at the intelligence in it's eyes!).
    And a cassowary is too busy kicking people to death to bother with VR. Although it might enjoy Superhot.

Cassowary's look like a peacock and an emu dropped acid and had a baby, then it was raised by velociraptors.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    The advert is a good start, there needs to be more, a lot more. The trouble is nothing is going to let people know what VR is like until they actually try it for themselves. I remember when the major satellite broadcaster in the UK (Sky) was advertising the fact they were now streaming HD content. This was at a time when the majority of people didn't have a HD TV, so were watching the advert on an SD TV. Over the course of about 18 months you could see Sky struggling with how to get that message across when they couldn't actually show them what it was like. It's the same problem now for VR. The adverts will get people talking, but it's up to us owners to be willing to actively promote to family, friends and neighbours, and open our doors to let them try it out for themselves. I do it as much as I can and I have generated sales from people who have had that 'oh wow' moment, followed by how much and where from. Actually it would be nice if Oculus offered an incentive scheme for owners who generate a referral that leads to a sale.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,417
    Project 2501
    I've seen so many shows reference the Oculus Rift.

Like, any of you guys Mystery Science Theater fans?  Checked out the new season (with the new cast)?   They make an Oculus Rift joke like, once per episode.  Either one of the show's writers is obsessed with VR or somebody at Facebook paid them to do some name-dropping, lol.
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    Good vr add.
    Fat ugly bloke getting it on with some fine piece of ass
    Propper going for it then at the point of climax he takes off the headset
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,400
    Wintermute
    Great commercial!. Commercials on vr are becoming more and more common. I love sony vr commercials on the upcoming triple a game farpoint.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 491
    Trinity
    Sony and capcom sold 200,000 psvr units and res7 getting super close to mainstream !
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,585 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    Zenbane said:
    Moments ago during the NBA playoffs, I just saw this commercial on prime TV:

First of all, that commercial is badass. Second... yeah, I think this confirms the Mainstream nature of the VR Industry.

Rod Hull would be so happy with this advert.

Yes, i know he was an emu!

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,585 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    I've tried kangaroo, but didn't really like it. Crocodile isn't bad. Shark is pretty damn nice. Camel burgers are good too.

The moral of the story, if an ostrich uses a GearVR, then an emu would be a CV1 fan (just look at the intelligence in it's eyes!).
    And a cassowary is too busy kicking people to death to bother with VR. Although it might enjoy Superhot.

But where does that leave Orville?

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,772 Valuable Player
    I used to love Rod Hull and Emu when I was a kid! I was heartbroken when he tragically died :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever