cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arguing on the internet

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Scott Adams (the guy who writes and draws Dilbert) has a blog.  
In that blog he has written all sorts of things that are controversial.  Hell, he predicted Trump's election months and months (a year?) before it happened.  He's also a  published writer and trained hypnotist, among other things.  

His latest post was pretty interesting because it echoes one of my long-held axioms of forum arguments - ad hominem is the last resort of someone who is fresh out of logical responses.  Here it is for those of you who might enjoy reading it.

Scott Adams lists three other ways to tell you've "won" a political argument, but I think these apply equally to the discussions we have here on the board.  I know I've been guilty of a few of these over the years, so I'm going to try to avoid them if possible.
I guess this is fair warning that I'm going to judge others based on a few of his criteria as well.  If you commit any of these four internet argument sins, I'm going to smile and move on to another subject.

I know this may fall on deaf ears so I've prepared a quote from Arnold in his breakout role: 
"And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
115 REPLIES 115

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I like to fluctuate between Analogy and Attack The Messenger.

I've seen these types of breakdowns a lot over the years. This article has some favorite collections:
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/18-types-of-internet-trolls

The Rabid Flamer

This guy likes to make trouble for his own amusement. If nothing particularly nasty is going on, he’ll whip out his flamethrower and burn everyone in his path, especially denizens of parenting or pets chat rooms.

The Never-Give-Up, Never-Surrender Troll

This troll is ALWAYS right and will battle to the death to prove it. There’s no point in trying to fight her. If she can’t back something up with reality, she’ll make something up, just to show you how wrong you are.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I love that @Zenbane was the first to reply.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Not even a little surprised.   😄
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The first time I glanced at the forum, I thought this thread title was actually, "Zenbane on the Internet"

zboson
Superstar
Personally, I wish there were more "Priggish Grammar Troll's" in these forums. Not the kind that try to win an argument by attacking your grammar. But the kind that attack your grammar because the are fed up seeing bad grammar.

But I am one of the last people to lecture others on grammar because I am actually an awful writer and I struggle with language.

kojack
MVP
MVP

zboson said:

attack your grammar because the are fed up

They, not the.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bigmike20vt
Visionary
ahh come on.. who doesn’t love a good analogy!....  I dont think it is fair to assume you have "won" the argument because your "opponent" uses an analogy.  I usually use them to try and lighten the mood and put a bit of humour in there... but in other times, if a person is seemingly being totally blind to what i consider a totally rational and logical view (but then i would think that if it is my view), then sometimes i think an analogy may frame something in a manner they will understand more.

example....
(and its relevant because the link mentions a plumber).

A heart surgeon trying to explain to a plumber about the heart surgery he is about to perform, may infact get his point across more if he was to mention to the plumber its a bit like a leaky non return valve in some pipe work
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

zboson said:

Personally, I wish there were more "Priggish Grammar Troll's" in these forums. Not the kind that try to win an argument by attacking your grammar. But the kind that attack your grammar because the are fed up seeing bad grammar.

But I am one of the last people to lecture others on grammar because I am actually an awful writer and I struggle with language.

u wot m8?

elboffor
Consultant
Pfft
Not read the link (cba)
I win because i am right
Drops mic walks away

(Keeps looking back to see whats said)
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.