New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CAD in Virtual Reality

SadikuASadikuA Posts: 17
NerveGear
Hello Guys,

I'm searching a programm for the oculus rift which I can use to create sculpts like in medium but scale them into right size like a CAD-Program. For example I want to build a cube like in medium but with the lenght 10 mm. this is because i want to 3D print it and for this use i had to be in the right size.

Because every Medium Sculpt i'm exporting is difficult to edit.

So I would like to build some components that i can use in den VR-Realm.

Do anybody know about that kind of VR-Program 

Comments

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,027 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    Make them in an actual CAD program and import them into Medium.  I'm not familiar with Medium but the CAD programs will have the measurement tools (I would assume Medium does as well considering one of it's features is 3d printing and being able to make things in the proper scale would be essential to being able to actually print the objects.)

I use Solidworks.  You could also use Autocad.  Even 3dsmax or Maya would easily be able to make those simplistic geometric objects you describe with almost no effort at all.  I.e.  Cube, sphere, cone etc.

Free options I can think of:

Tinkercad - I don't know if it's still free

There's a package that's very similar to 3dsmax that's free, I think it was called Rhino but it has been so many years I can't remember the name.  It might not even be free anymore.

EDIT:  For some reason I think that program I thought was called Rhino is actually called Blender, that seems to stick out in my head for some reason.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    The unreal engine team were showing off a VR build in a recent livestream that might work for you. Not sure if they've pushed the update yet, tho. They modeled a basic mesh (not bsp) lighthouse, in engine, in VR. Looked pretty trick. 
  • SadikuASadikuA Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    Make them in an actual CAD program and import them into Medium.  I'm not familiar with Medium but the CAD programs will have the measurement tools (I would assume Medium does as well considering one of it's features is 3d printing and being able to make things in the proper scale would be essential to being able to actually print the objects.)

I use Solidworks.  You could also use Autocad.  Even 3dsmax or Maya would easily be able to make those simplistic geometric objects you describe with almost no effort at all.  I.e.  Cube, sphere, cone etc.

There's a package that's very similar to 3dsmax that's free, I think it was called Rhino but it has been so many years I can't remember the name.  It might not even be free anymore.

EDIT:  For some reason I think that program I thought was called Rhino is actually called Blender, that seems to stick out in my head for some reason.
    Yes, medium supports 3D Printing, but everytime i export the model i have an obj.-file. Then i convert it into a stl-file for my 3D-printer.  The 3D Printer has a viewprogram. In this viewer the sculpt is really small.

I have an cad file, put it into medium, than i bild a contruction with this component, put this back for 3D printing but than it has the wrong size

• johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    SadikuA said:
    falken76 said:

Yes, medium supports 3D Printing, but everytime i export the model i have an obj.-file. Then i convert it into a stl-file for my 3D-printer.  The 3D Printer has a viewprogram. In this viewer the sculpt is really small.

I have an cad file, put it into medium, than i bild a contruction with this component, put this back for 3D printing but than it has the wrong size

Any slicer will let you scale the model. And VR is bad for car work. But if all you care about is a cube then use tinkercad it's free
    NerveGear
    johnboyjr said:

Any slicer will let you scale the model. And VR is bad for car work. But if all you care about is a cube then use tinkercad it's free
    the cube was just for example. i have also complex sculpts or components
    NerveGear
    is there a possibilty in oculus medium to create a exactly model built with 3 cubes for example which fits perfect together (edge on edge, area on area)? Because i want to build some components for my 3D printer which had to be acurate straight and not skew or oblique. With the touch its not possible even if i work precisely to built a straigth line of cubes or globes for example.

thanks
  • johnboyjrjohnboyjr Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    SadikuA said:
    is there a possibilty in oculus medium to create a exactly model built with 3 cubes for example which fits perfect together (edge on edge, area on area)? Because i want to build some components for my 3D printer which had to be acurate straight and not skew or oblique. With the touch its not possible even if i work precisely to built a straigth line of cubes or globes for example.

thanks
    Use tinkercad 
    NerveGear
    johnboyjr said:
    SadikuA said:

thanks
    Use tinkercad 
    but can I use thinkercad with the oculus rift?