cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensor connected to USB 3.0 says it's connected to USB 2.0 in Rift set-up

soopytwist
Protege
I've got two sensors connected to USB 3.0 ports. One of them says it's in a USB 3.0 port which is correct but the other says it's in USB 2.0 which is a lie. No matter what port I put it in it says USB 2.0 whereas the headset and other sensore all say USB 3.0 no matter what port I put them in (all USB 3.0). I've also got USB 3.1 ports but haven't tried them. What's going on?

I also constantly get a pop up alert in Windows bottom corner to say a USB 3.0 device would run better if it were connected to USB 3.0... no shit.
28 REPLIES 28

YoLolo69
Trustee
That's indeed weird... You need to try the USB 3.1 to see what happen, and to try with only the faulty sensor plugged (not with the working second one) to see what happen. Sorry for the stupid and basic question : I guess you tried this faulty sensor without any extension cable, right?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

cybereality
Grand Champion
USB 2.0 should work fine. I wouldn't worry about the warning if tracking functions.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege
It is on an extension, a short one. It's the one that came with the headset but I'm using it with the sensor - no choice as it won't reach the back of my PC otherwise. If it is only USB 2.0 speeds and it is not a problem is there anyway to stop the constant nagging about it from Windows?

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you got a USB 2.0 hub and plugged the sensor into that, I think it may stop the message.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

soopytwist
Protege

If you got a USB 2.0 hub and plugged the sensor into that, I think it may stop the message.

Would there be in any issues with one sensor connected to USB 2.0 when the other is USB 3.0 - tracking problems that sort of thing?

soopytwist
Protege
Just added a third sensor. Only the headset and one sensor say USB 3.0. The other two say they're in USB 2.0 ports when they are in fact also in USB 3.0 ports. Granted they are both using extensions but that shouldn't make a difference. The third one HAS to have an extension as it's behind me at the other end of the damn room! And the extension came WITH the sensor from Oculus themselves.

cybereality
Grand Champion
There is no problem with having some on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. In fact, there are more problems if you have everything on USB 3.0. You should make sure at least one sensor is connected via USB 2.0.

soopytwist
Protege
Okay. This image shows everything is USB 3.0 apart from two sensors. My front sensor on the left and my rear sensor (both of which use USB extension leads -  a short one that came with the Rift HMD and a 5-meter one that came with the third sensor I bought from Oculus). These are both connected to USB 3.0 ports on my brand new Asus X99 Deluxe II. I've "repair" re-installed the ASMedia USB 3.0 drivers (Asus don't have any newer ones than the ones I have). I also made the mistake of installing some Intel USB 3.0 drivers and that broke my PC (all my USB devices died, keyboard and mouse too). Luckily my system seemed to realise this and replaced the bad drivers with generic ones. Then I uninstalled the ASMedia ones and reinstalled them.

I also updated my BIOS, the only thing I could update.

After this when I started Oculus it said it couldn't find any devices, restarted a few times then it tells me everything is USB 2.0 including the headset!!!

Reboot followed by re-running Oculus set-up from scratch - yes from the start, AGAIN! Although to be fair I think I drew a better guardian box this time. Anyway, Rift now working....except for this...?

So this shows all my devices, apart from the touch controllers have a warning.

And this is what it says for each device. "USB driver update recommended".

Well I tried that and IT DIDN'T BLOODY WORK!!

I give up.

At least VR is actually working. It's only when I try to make it see sense that I'm using ONLY USB 3.0 ports that things turn to shit.

Christ, I haven't even had the balls to try the USB 3.1 ports. That'll be a whole new dimension of pain right there.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I believe the USB driver you need is on this page:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-7.html#down-driver