New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

SteamVR has a new Home and is just sensational

Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 2,034
Project 2501
edited May 19 in General
Today SteamVR BETA received a huge update. Now you have the ability to change your HOME environments to what ever you've submitted to Destinations folder. Basically Destinations has become your new VR HOME. This means you can set FULL 3D INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS as your HOME. Not only can you walk around these environments but you can also play and interact with them too. After customising your Avatar you can even enter other peoples environments. I've just come out of another persons room - Arcade Toss so we shot a few hoops together.

This is how most people imagined SteamVR to be from the beginning but after a year of owning the Vive Valve finally delivered.

Comments

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 2,034
    Project 2501
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,577 Valuable Player
    Sounds good. But how does it work? My Steam VR is just the empty nothingness like before.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    Project 2501
    Are you in the Steam Beta?
    Atmos73 said:
    Are you in the Steam Beta?
    Ah... found it. Now I have to wait for installation.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,452 Poster of the Week
    edited May 19
    This is good for steamVR

I will try this out and see if it plays better now for me as i am playing il-2 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,597
    3Jane
    why oculus home is not like this always surprised me with how nonchalant they are, its been the same damn room for over a year, no customization options, not shit, just a reminder that they took your money and now they dont give a shit.
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    Vivers are locked out of Oculus Home so can't comment.

VivePort had a live environment which you could walk around in but not the level of interactivity as SteamVR BETA.
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    danknugz said:
    why oculus home is not like this always surprised me with how nonchalant they are, its been the same damn room for over a year, no customization options, not shit, just a reminder that they took your money and now they dont give a shit.
    Oculus Home does change with the seasons. i.e. the leaves on the trees change colour. We also get Christmas Decorations around December. But I agree with you. It would be much nicer if we could customise our Home locations. I'd even be happy having micro-transactions to buy stuff to decorate my space!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,008 Power Poster
    danknugz said:
    The SteamVR room was an empty room for over a year; this update is in Beta and just now happened. Yet your response acts as if it has been there all year and is the full release version lol. Before this moment, Oculus Home was far more sophisticated than Steam VR.

Anyway,

This is great that HTC stepped up their VR Home. Now this will force Oculus to get off their asses and release another update.
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,452 Poster of the Week
    I know right

I once got super expensive shoes from a designer store, everytime i walked past they would wave then run out and hug me.

Home needs to start doing this
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,337 Valuable Player
    This is typical.
    They have followed the same remit as before.
    Copy oculus and add roomscale ;)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,651 Volunteer Moderator
    vannagirl said:
    I know right

I once got super expensive shoes from a designer store, everytime i walked past they would wave then run out and hug me.

Home needs to start doing this
    Home needs to buy shoes so people will hug it?

Project 2501
    edited May 19
    Zenbane said:
    Before this moment, Oculus Home was far more sophisticated than Steam VR.

Anyway,

This is great that HTC stepped up their VR Home. Now this will force Oculus to get off their asses and release another update.
    The SteamVR home backgrounds have always been changable. Mine until today has been the interior of an Elite Dangerous Station. But yeah Steam Home blows that all away.

I've already bumped into one Forum member in there lol.  :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    edited May 19
    Looks really cool! Environments is an amazing idea although Avatars could be improved a lot :P 

I'll give it a go although SteamVR doesn't seem to play well with my rift, I hope they've fixed bugs for rift users with this update.

Oculus needs to step it up, Home needs a nice big update already!
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,597
    3Jane
    Zenbane said:
    danknugz said:
    The SteamVR room was an empty room for over a year; this update is in Beta and just now happened. Yet your response acts as if it has been there all year and is the full release version lol. Before this moment, Oculus Home was far more sophisticated than Steam VR.

Anyway,

*donald trump style* "wrong"

You have been able to customize your background in steamVR, access your desktop, view a clock, browse the web, at least as far back as 6 months. None of these features are present in Oculus. There are probably other features as well which Im not aware of.

But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
    I never thought that a background skin would be good enough to meet the danknugz standards, but I've been wrong before :p

And a clock plus Internet Access? Dunno wtf I was thinking; HTC is kickin ass and taking names apparently.

Does not work for me. Now Steam VR isn't even starting anymore...
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 351
    Trinity
    I only have a Rift but I play games on steam but I don't enter a steam Home or anything to do that, I just launch games off my Games List. So can we use Steam Home with our Rift's? I just wondered so I could check this out.

If not, then hopefully Oculus can make us a new Home screen too with interactive stuff to do. 

If we can try out the Steam Home, how do we launch it?
    Project 2501
    edited May 19
    SteamVR BETA is 100% compatible with the Rift. I've already played Oculus Forum members in there. It's a lot of fun and you can travel to lots of other locations as you're not stuck in just one.

Open Steam on your desktop find SteamVR right click and in the drop down menu select SteamVR Beta. Once Stesm Beta installs activate it and there's a new Steam Home icon on the old Steam overlay. Once you've activated it one it should be there automatically the next time you start your PC. Hope that helps.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,367 Valuable Player
    Looks pretty cool, about time they did something with SteamVR. Hope they've also managed to stop the issues that I and other Rift owners have with the thing. I tend to avoid SteamVR whenever I can but might nip in now that things are looking more interesting.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SadGamerDadSadGamerDad Posts: 310
    Trinity
    Guess I'll check this out over the weekend. Would be cool to visit other folks spaces and say hey and maybe launch a game of Arizona sunshine or something..
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,249 Poster of the Week
    Yeah, I do have to admit that I'd love to be able to customize the Home menu (and then invite friends over to chat or organize groups for multiplayer games)

Especially with like.. game-specific decorations, maybe some unlocked via trophies? Combination of achievement wall and home decorating sim.

But that's mostly because my actual living room is a garbage heap that I barely have room to walk around in, let alone set up a VR play space larger than like.. 7'-by-7' at most?   If I actually had a big ol' empty room I'd probably just furnish it IRL and continue using my Rift for standing / sit-down VR.  :smile:

The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    Now it works. Had a great time in it. I think it is a good starting point. I really like it.
    Project 2501
    Now it works. Had a great time in it. I think it is a good starting point. I really like it.
    Good to hear you got it working. Have you started doing the quests yet?
    It has quests?!

Well damn, I might just have to download and try this out when I sober up tomorrow.