Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC/ CPU specs for Oculus rift

harsh1088
Honored Guest
Hi All,
I am looking to build a PC for oculus rift with following config
Processor - i5 6600K
Mother board - GA-B150M-D3H LGA 1151 (giga byte)
RAM Kingston 8GB DDR4
Graphics card - Gigabyte/Zotac geforce GTX 1060 - 3GB
HDD - Kingston 500GB
Power source - 450 W (either intel or similar brand)
Cooler - Cooler master 
Windows 10 OS

Before I place the order I want to know will this be sufficient for Oculus rift or not. 

Note: I am looking for PC that can run rift smoothly and is in budget. Expecting its life to be 2 year atleast.

Please help
9 REPLIES 9

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Get a 1070 if you can stretch that far and maybe an I7 ? But that cpu is good enough but for 2 years I'd go higher 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Oooh and a higher psu. 750w should do it.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

DarkTenka
Trustee
Yea I'd say you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It'd probably work but there are some programs which are higher in graphics requirements than others and you might find yourself getting more judder/frame drops in certain games. I would at least push for a 1070 imo. And yea, a higher PSU as well, 450 is just too low I think.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
If you're wanting to overclock you CPU in the future, I'd suggest going with a different brand of motherboard. So far, my Gigabyte Mobo is solid @ stock and with their "built-in overclock" settings (which you should never use, but alas I have to), but the options for overclocking the CPU are limited, and don't work well. (The offset values were completely wrong and not what I input, which caused my SSD's OS data to corrupt, and had to do a clean wipe... twice)
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

harsh1088
Honored Guest
Thanks a lot guys,
Upgrading to GTX 1060 6 GB and 750 power source

cybereality
Grand Champion
That machine will work, aside from the power supply. Going with the 6GB version and a 750W PSU should be fine. Just know it will be entry-level VR, meaning it will work perfectly smooth on default settings but don't expect to turn everything on Ultra, etc. Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
I have a RX 480 and everything is turned up to the max. I turn my head real slow, blink about 40 times a second and it doesn't feel like I'm missing a thing!

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer

I have a RX 480 and everything is turned up to the max. I turn my head real slow, blink about 40 times a second and it doesn't feel like I'm missing a thing!

hcv5uynoa3ru.jpg

Techy111
MVP
MVP
k44ud66u7ilb.gif