USB 3.1 hub - Which one to buy — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

USB 3.1 hub - Which one to buy

elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
Ok so i built my new system and pit in the 2 inateck cards which work fine (not even tried the on board ports) but ive got very little wiring on display and wpuld rather use a different solution. A powered 3.1 hub would be prefect and would supply enough bandwidth i believe.

I have 4 seonsors all on usb 3.0 and my headset to accommodate.

Any suggestions on brand and amazon links would be appreciated.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Best Answer

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Accepted Answer
    Bump?

Answers

Cmon, not even a trol after a day?

I know theres a couple o folk that do this, camt recall who it was though (bugger).

Thats it. Screw you guys, I'm buying a vive.
  • MadarasMadaras Posts: 572
    Nexus 6
    You trolled your own thread :/
    Nah, that was an inovative way to bump it. It got you looking at it :p
    Nexus 6
    I looked at it before, but like then I still don't have an answer. I too am curious as to what makes one hub better than another. I was looking at 3.0 hubs, the prices varied significantly between them. I'd like to purchase a good quality 3.1 or 3.0 hub.
    @cybereality is there any advice you or the support crew could chip in with on this discussion?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I recall there being issues with USB 3.1. 3.0 is preferred or even 2.0 may be fine. Can you explain what problem you are trying to solve with the hub? Also, you don't want everything on USB 3.0. You have to split the bandwidth on different controllers, so it helps to have half on USB 3.0 and half on USB 2.0.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Well i currently have 2 inatech cards with 2 sensors on one and 2 sensors and a hmd on the other.
    Bandwidth over these isnt an issue.
    All im trying to achieve is to use a hub imstead of these cards because they are dam ugly! (Ive just built my latest pc in a nzxt elite case and would rather have zero cables and or ugly expansion cards on display)
    Nexus 6
    My problem, is for some reason alienware decided to make a gaming laptop with only two usbs....what were they thinking *face palm* They called it "VR ready" but you need a minimum of 3 usb ports to get VR up and running.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You can try a hub if you want. If you limit it to 2 cables per hub that may be OK. I haven't really tried, but it's worth checking and reporting back.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2017
    I currently use a 2.0 hub and connect the Rift USB and one Sensor to it. That works out well for me. Cost $11 at walmart
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    this might not be a viable option for you but I bought some keystone plates, USB and HDMI adaptors and wired the entire thing into my desk.. there are a couple of ports visible in various places but the rest is all one to one cables from the deskports to my PC
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    From what i remember, there is a user on this forum with 4 sensors, all usb 3 in a usb 3.1 hub.
    I believe theu stayed the trick was to have a hub that evenly distribites the bandwidth
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 539
    Trinity

I posted this before I really like the Plugable brand it seems to work flawlessly. I have not really dove into the 3.1 world yet, I am sure in 5 years that is all we will be using but until Plugable comes out with a 3.1 hub I am going to assume there are still issues with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-10-Port-SuperSpeed-Adapter-Charging/dp/B00JEPIOOQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496158626&sr=1-4&keywords=Plugable++3.1