Nothing's worst than an Oculus gone bad when you have friends that you only see a few times a year over to check it out. After months of all the hype of getting together for a weekend of food, drinks, retro gaming and using the Oculus with the Virtuix Omni (I finally received after 4 years), the virtual reality part did not happen.
I was pretty disappointed because this is the first time I have ever encountered an issue that I couldn't solve with the Oculus. Here's what I happened:
- I moved my PC from my office on the second floor to the basement because that's the only place I could put the Omni. I left the 2 sensors I used with that PC in my office to use the Oculus with my other PC when I develop.
- I purchased 2 other sensors and Touch controllers for the basement.
- I went through the process of connecting the sensors and the Touch controllers and they were detected without any issue. I used extension cables for the newly connected sensors and the Oculus.
- When the setup got to the part where you would put on the Oculus, nothing happened. Black screen, amber light.
- I tried a variety of "fixes" from other people having similar issues such as unplugging, restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling, trying different ports, trying it without the extension cables but nothing worked. So far I'm only able to hear the sound from Oculus Home or whatever else I launch but can't see it within the Oculus.
I have yet to try the original sensors or see if I can remove the sensors from the settings to see if having 4 sensors in the settings even if the original 2 are not-in-use/disabled have somehow messed things up. I also haven't looked at the log but I'll try to do that when I get home after work. I just wanted to write this since it was on my mind at work and hope someone can offer any suggestions that worked for them. It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but with different fixes and from what it seems, unknown causes. I had 2 TV's setup and having my friend point out how the older gaming consoles (Nintendo in this case) started with no problem on TV #1 but the future tech is having problems without a quick fix on TV #2 increased my frustration and disappointment.
I hope I'm able to find a fix and hope if it happens again in the future I know EXACTLY what cause it and how to fix it on the spot. PC Specs:
- Processor - Intel - Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Motherboard - Asus - Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
- Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
- Storage - Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
- Storage - Western Digital 1 TB Hybrid Drive
- Video Card - MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
- Case - Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower Case
- OS - Windows 10