New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I have an IPD of 55mm Can anything be done to make the headset useable?

Archilaus278Archilaus278 Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited May 2017 in Support
Hi guys,

So apparently I am screwed here given that I am a near eyes mutant among men but I have an IPD of 55.5mm. This means that while things are mostly clear its definitely still bad when trying to aim down sites or looking at anything close up. Things get blurry when I try to focus in on details. I cant aim down gun sits as I get a a double image ect its really annoying and basically ruins the vr experience. Is there ANY way to hack the CV1 to physically bring the lenses closer to each other by 3 or 4mm from the standard 59mm that is the current lowest setting? I will basically try anything at this point.  I really really want to enjoy VR but this is basically destroying my experience. I am also concerned that in the future I am simply going to be out of luck as I am apparently in the 1 percent of the population that has such a small IPD.  Ive heard the VIVE is even worse with physical  IPD... FML. 

Best,
Desperately trying to experience vr properly. 

Comments

• ThmoasThmoas Posts: 333
    Trinity
    Everyone gets double vision when looking through gun sites, just like in real life. You need to close one eye to aim with single vision, just like in real life.

For me things up close also are hard to impossible to focus on starting about 40cm to 60cm (estimated in vr).

I played with the wrong ipd for 5 months (59mm instead 64mm), the difference is not that huge and its only 4mm for you.

Is your headset properly seated?
  • Archilaus278Archilaus278 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Interesting. Thanks so you are saying within robo recall when you the gun is close to you you also have to use one eye to aim down the site? If thats the case this makes me feel much much better. 
  • uKERuKER Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    You're not supposed to shoot with a gun any closer than arm's length, you know?
    You better keep that in mind if you ever get a grip of a handgun in real life too.
  • Archilaus278Archilaus278 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Its so funny I guess Im just used to first person shooters and didnt even think that in real life you need to close one eye to aim down the sites. 
  • hebulbahebulba Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi guys,

So apparently I am screwed here given that I am a near eyes mutant among men but I have an IPD of 55.5mm. This means that while things are mostly clear its definitely still bad when trying to aim down sites or looking at anything close up. Things get blurry when I try to focus in on details. I cant aim down gun sits as I get a a double image ect its really annoying and basically ruins the vr experience. Is there ANY way to hack the CV1 to physically bring the lenses closer to each other by 3 or 4mm from the standard 59mm that is the current lowest setting? I will basically try anything at this point.  I really really want to enjoy VR but this is basically destroying my experience. I am also concerned that in the future I am simply going to be out of luck as I am apparently in the 1 percent of the population that has such a small IPD.  Ive heard the VIVE is even worse with physical  IPD... FML. 

Best,
    Desperately trying to experience vr properly. 
    I'm in the same boat as you. My IPD is also only about 55mm. I ordered my rift during the sale and have yet to receive it. I would like to hear your opinion about the usability of the rift for people who have IPD smaller than the range in rift now that you have apparently been using it for few months. Is the image mostly clear and has it ever been uncomfortable to use?
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,713 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    Yea I doubt 4 1/2mm off will have a huge impact. If you're not having any issues seeing everything else then that's just the nature of using a gun in VR. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,511 Volunteer Moderator
    The good thing about the Rift lenses is that they have a large "sweet spot", so you should get a clear image even if they aren't perfectly centred to your eyes. My IPD is a few mm above the max setting, and it isn't a problem for me. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • iR3FLEXiiR3FLEXi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is a thread from 3 years ago but go anybody sees this, I have and ipd of about 54mm and I am planning on getting an oculus rift s but it is locked on to 63mm ipd, so should i get it or will the 10mm difference completely ruin the immersion?