New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Work-Around for Black Screen Issue on Nvidia GPUs

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
We've heard reports of black screens with some of the latest Nvidia drivers for some users.
Please try reverting to Nvidia driver 381.89 if you're having problems. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,276
    3Jane
    edited May 2017
    Probably not related, but the black screen problems I've had in the past seemed related to the CV1 or USB3 hub powering down when in use...

So maybe the issue with the latest Nvidia drivers is also related to aggressive power saving features kicking in during CV1 use.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I don't know all the technical details, but we are investigating the situation.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RomkslrquszRomkslrqusz Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    No change on my end
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2017
    My rig has been doing random black screen since August 14, 2016 (windows 10 anniversary update). I've tried a LOT of solutions without success, but the last one looks promising. I'll post the solution in a few days if it doesn't black screen again!

Edit: Oh well, back to square one, I got a black screen :(
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • SinusoidDeltaSinusoidDelta Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I've tried rolling back to a few previous drivers using DDU in safe mode. No success.
  • pipeorganpipeorgan Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Worked for me, many thanks.
  • JDriscollJDriscoll Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    This worked for me! Thank you so much!
  • sushichrissushichris Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    This worked for me as well, thanks!
  • Giustinian0Giustinian0 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hello,

I still have the problem, even after setting the drivers to 381.89 on a GTX 1080.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Enrico

NerveGear
    Seems to be a very temporary solution, I have had to redo this several times already. Something triggers the oculus screen to turn black. I think windows is installing the newer drivers automatically. I just used DDU and had to restart the pc, when checking my drivers the latest nvidia drivers were automatically installed. I am not positive but this might be whats happening in my circumstance.
    edited June 2017
    Yes, that is a good point. Windows can try to update drivers if none are installed. I believe if you install the older drivers inside DDU Safe Mode, once you restart it should leave the drivers you choose.
    NerveGear
    Yes, that is a good point. Windows can try to update drivers if none are installed. I believe if you install the older drivers inside DDU Safe Mode, once you restart it should leave the drivers you choose.

after using DDU it does work temporarily, the suggested 381.89 were working but windows would shut down the device and use the default  windows drivers causing the black screen, would try to uninstall device in device manager resulting in infiniate uninstall loop. forcing me to use the DDU and reinstalling the driver. I did  this several times and have given up and just installed the latest nvidia driver and will now wait for a proper fix. (I think i just put my PC through a lot of abuse trying to get this to work my screen turned grey at one point and couldn't do anything but restart) 
    NerveGear
    Could you have a black screen because of USB issues? If so, is there any known incompatibility between the oculus HMD and the AMD X370 chipset?
    The headset gets power from USB, so if the USB connection is flaky it is possible to cause black screens I think.
    NerveGear
    The headset gets power from USB, so if the USB connection is flaky it is possible to cause black screens I think.

Would that appear as a problem when the setup tries to detect sensors and the headset?

Would that appear as a problem when the setup tries to detect sensors and the headset?
    Yes, the installer should detect a problem, but it could say USB connection issue or HDMI connection issue depending.
    NerveGear
    New drivers today! fixed the issue :D 

....(so far) 
    :P
  • GRiMHOLDGRiMHOLD Posts: 21
    NerveGear
    Download "Display Drive Uninstaller".
    Run it and uninstall the drivers for your GPU.
    After you reboot redownload your GPU drivers and it should be fixed.
    Please reply if it works. I want to know if this solution works for others.
  • OctohexOctohex Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Reinstall driver with DDU works for me. Thx!
  • david944s2david944s2 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I bought a PC just to run the Rift.  I have no idea how to "reinstall driver with DDU" or the other technical solutions posted here.  I have same problem, brand new GTX 1080 video card, no display but sound.  Rift Ap sees my HDMI connected and I'm in the graphics card connection as motherboard doesn't support HDMI.  No clue how to fix, nobody I can call either.  Help.
  • Cowboy10ukCowboy10uk Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Sorry I only purchased my CV1 earlier this week,  most of the time I have a full display and no issues, however on one game project cars, my Rift display keeps going to a black screen before coming back on again every 10 seconds while I'm racing. 

I do have a Nvidia 980TI with the latest drivers, can I just ask is this the same black screen issue that is being spoken about here, or something completely separate?

just want to make sure I'm following the right thread and solution.

Cowboy10uk
  • ToddWilson5550ToddWilson5550 Posts: 10
    NerveGear

I got a new 1080 card, setting up the rift everything go ok I get to continue in your head set I hear music but see nothing

• nargornnargorn Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. 
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 792
    3Jane
    People with problems, have you BOTH, the Rift and your monitor connected to your GPU? (Do not use any motherboard connectors). If the GPU doesn't have enough of the correct ports for your monitor and Rift, get an adapter and connect the monitor using the adapter. Leave any motherboard ports alone.
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    I found a fix for my random black screen problems on my rig! I simply closed Corsair Link software and I haven't encountered a single black screen in 4 weeks!

There are 3 confirmed users on the nvidia forums (including me) which has this setup with random black screen issue: Asus Rampage IV motherboard (any edition), Nvidia Geforce GPU (any brand/model) , Windows 10, Corsair Link.
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • vulkana92vulkana92 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i'am with nvidia GTX 850m Windols 10 which driver i need and wich rintime ? i just wanna run demos

Older mobile GPUs are not generally supported (meaning chips ending in "m").
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    I did have some minor black screen issues when this all started and went back to the recommended 388.59 driver. Recently read reports of the 397.93 driver giving very good VR performance so tried that and so far no such issues at all.

So if you're a bit pissed off about not being able to use later drivers for other things, might be worth trying that version.

• dehe25dehe25 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

One try might be to disable GPU Boost.
    Use MSI Afterbruner. Hit Ctrl+F. Select a dot at the base frequency line (about 1000mhz, depending on gpu). hit L. This will lock the frequency.
    I had an error where Windows 10 restarted the gfx driver everytime the frequency was being changed (scrolling, gaming mainly), resulting in a 1-3 sec black screen.Locking the frequency fixed this.

• Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    it did not work for me.

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10