New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Dead Effect 2 VR - DOOM CLONE available Now

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
edited June 2017 in General
I played this originally on Xbox One and thought it was a bit meh but in VR this is pretty good especially for £13.49. You can use teleport or traditional controls or movement and camera. I tried playing this seated and you end up being a midget but it's recommended that you stand up.  Check it out if you're after a DOOM clone. I will post some gameplay of mini me once it has encoded but you can check out the trailer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/646200

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    downloaded *thumbs up*
  • Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nice. I added it to my wishlist. Hopefully it will get discounted for the steam summer sale.
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,170
    Project 2501
    Funny how even the trailer view keeps looking down at her chest.
    Pretty obvious which audience that is aimed at!

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
    Yeh it's one of things you just have to do in VR. At least she doesn't get offended at your bad etiquette.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,510 Power Poster
    Yeh it's one of things you just have to do in VR. At least she doesn't get offended at your bad etiquette.

Yup. Good job it's Virtual Reality and not real reality, otherwise she'd probably punch you on the nose lol 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 515
    Trinity
    Nice. I added it to my wishlist. Hopefully it will get discounted for the steam summer sale.
    Any idea when this is likely?
    edited June 2017
    It's already 10% Off ;£13.49. I would wager it will be unlikely to drop much more than it already is. However, there might be some neat save-mongering you can do with the original game which offers 75% off the VR game according to ParadiseDecay. If this drops from £8.99 you might be able to apply the discount and get the VR version and the original for under a tenner.

• HeVeNyHeVeNy Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Thinking of buying, but it's early access so is this game fully playable from start to finish or what?
    Yeh they even added some new missions since it went live. Remember this is basically the 2D game in VR.

• HeVeNyHeVeNy Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2017
    This game IS helluwa fun! Thanks for the tip! This is the way companies should go, porting their already made 2d shooters that don't generate any more revenue to VR. Even with current user base I think the effort, manpower and hence costs needed for the port, can be made back quite easily with game hungry early adopters buying these.
  • Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    nAV2016 said:
    Any idea when this is likely?
    I heard rumors of the summer sale starting on the 23rd.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,152
    Wintermute
    edited January 10

Danette <3  - she distracted me quite a lot last evening, my Y chromosome makes me anything but immune to her :blush:

BTW, I better move the content of a post to this thread  o:)

How to optimize graphics in Dead Effect 2 VR

I spent an hour testing every graphics setting using the OTT performance hud - but of course it was worth it 

Like Doom VFR this game has many jaggies, unless antialiasing is applied. But to really make this game shine, it needs high levels of super sampling. Like in Lone Echo, Dead Effect 2 VR really shines using super sampling 2.0 (=200% set in SteamVR), but of course something like ss 1.8 may look great too. 

If I force ss 2.0 and max out all video settings, then I get like 45 fps. And that's not working great in-game. Turns out that there's really only 1 truly demanding in-game video setting, and that's Effect Quality. If I set Effect Quality to low, then I can max out all other video settings (FXAA3 antialiasing) and get solid 90 fps, but when I choose Effect Quality = medium, I get mostly 90 fps which occasionally dip to 45 fps. Owners of 2080 Ti may be able to use ss 2.0 + Extreme Effect Quality, the rest of us probably cannot. 
    Effect Quality has great impact on light reflections and light conditions, but ss 2.0 is providing so much more depth and clarity to the game - I'd happily trade some Effect Quality for ss. 

In short - I'd recommend going for ss 2.0 (200%) in this game for owners of GTX 1080 or better, while setting Effect Quality to medium (or low). Even ss 2.0 won't completely get rid of annoying jaggies, so you'll need some additional antialiasing. FXAA2 is ok, but FXAA3 seems the perfect match between antialiasing and sharpness. So I'd recommend FXAA3 antialiasing, ss 2.0 (200%), Effect Quality = medium/low and all other video settings maxed. 

And the game feels amazing - much like Doom VFR, but with more story and RPG elements (slightly System Shock'ish). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Do you use the Oculus Tray tool and if you do when SS what setting do you have it at (that's if it makes any difference when SS via SteamVR).

Wintermute
    edited January 10
    Do you use the Oculus Tray tool and if you do when SS what setting do you have it at (that's if it makes any difference when SS via SteamVR).
    OTT ss doesn't work for normal SteamVR games, but the OTT HUDs seem to correctly register ss levels and performance - and more. 

So I set ss in SteamVR to 200% (= ss 2.0 verified by OTT). And I use OTT Performance HUD to check my fps - and the headroom. Fun thing, advanced shaders, shadows, anisotropic filtrering, bloom etc. all seemed more or less free, but Effect Quality takes a heavy toll. 

Had an error though - after using Options in-game (for changing video settings), my character would be like in crouch position, had to restart the level to fix it (recentering in Dash didn't work). But so far I've detected no serious errors. Effect Quality on Extreme sure is pretty - but so is ss 2.0, annoying that I can't have both, well... 

PS. You did ask about ss in OTT - my global ss in OTT affecting all my rift games is 2.0. I make profiles for games that need lower ss. But if it works, why not enjoy the best ss possible... Home uses adaptive ss though, typically I get ss 1.8 in Home (and 45 fps asw in Home, but I don't mind that). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,521
    Wintermute
    Oh how did I miss this I have Dead Effect 2 :)
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,170
    Project 2501
    Yeah - me too. Never played it yet, though.. :|

Have to make some time. For that and all the others.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,521
    Wintermute
    Yes indeed, last night because of the Fallout thread, I ended up playing on it until 2 am. I am knackered now trying to make it though the work day. :(
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,509 Poster of the Week
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Wintermute
    Wildt said:
    Grabbing the weapons sure takes a lot of practice and may be the main problem in this game. Usually I can grab the handgun, but the machine gun requires a near-perfect grabbing movement, where the Touch controller must touch my hip. Grabbing hand grenades on my chest is very hard too, but it can be done. I recommend to practice grabbing weapons until you can do it almost perfectly, before meeting enemies. 

Again, setting Effect Quality to low will make the game perform at 90 fps on most rigs, even with high levels of ss and all other settings maxed. If fact, just set Effect Quality to low and never check what higher settings look like, then the game will look and play great, and you'll never know what's missing  ;)

Wintermute
    I noticed that you can modify where you want to place your weapons - this may fix the "can't grab the weapons"-issue, but I'm yet to try it. 

Also I just noticed the Dead Effect 2 VR today is the third bestselling SteamVR game: