New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap: dont get it Wet

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    elboffor said:
    Forgot to mention, my headstrap that ive had for about a year still hasn't disolved.

In regards to my playspace, mine is 4m x 4m. Ive seen the pics of yours and its impressive, but is it 4x4?
    You've seen mine so now let's see yours @elboffor.

My light houses are spaced 6.8 meters apart. 
    Im sorry to say my pc isnt even plugged in and all my sensors have been packed away as im decorating ready to sell my house :(

My new playspace (assuming i manage to get the house im after) will be this (minus the fuseball, rocking horse, plants and dining table)

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • sultanmrsultanmr Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Very late to the party here, not sure what the policy is on necroing threads but I wanted to weigh-in.

I own both the Vive (with DAS) and the Rift (with Touch). Early adopter for both, I have a PC in a room that can take advantage of large scale roomscale with the Vive, and the Rift is in my bedroom, with about half the space to move around (since the Touch wasnt released till later and I primarily used it for car/space sim games with the corresponding wheel/flight sticks). 

Humbly speaking, with as little bias as possible; A year in, I still use my Vive more as I feel the Vive is more intune with what the VR experience is supposed to be. The Rift IS built better, and their platform is great but it came a little too late for me to feel the experience to be worthwile. At that point I had already gotten my fix with the Vive. And now with the DAS I can say from a comfort level they're on par. 

For a consumer looking to pick up one of the two today, I'd advise them to purchase a Rift because of its build quality and because you can get a bundle for $600 with everything you'd need to get started.

That being said, I personally choose the Vive over the Rift as I feel in the years ahead they'll maintain the lead in releasing even more immersive VR experiences and I like Steams policy of open VR far more than Facebook's closed "console" mentality to VR titles.

My 2 cents. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    sultanmr said:

For a consumer looking to pick up one of the two today, I'd advise them to purchase a Rift because of its build quality and because you can get a bundle for $600 with everything you'd need to get started.

It's a little more than that - current sale which was just extended a few more weeks is $ 399.00 for the bundle.
    Retail price after sale ends has been stated to be $499.00

Unless one really needs that very large room scale experience, and worth the extra dollars to them, I think it is definitely the Rift hands down.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    sultanmr said:
    Very late to the party here, not sure what the policy is on necroing threads but I wanted to weigh-in.

I own both the Vive (with DAS) and the Rift (with Touch). Early adopter for both, I have a PC in a room that can take advantage of large scale roomscale with the Vive, and the Rift is in my bedroom, with about half the space to move around (since the Touch wasnt released till later and I primarily used it for car/space sim games with the corresponding wheel/flight sticks). 

Humbly speaking, with as little bias as possible; A year in, I still use my Vive more as I feel the Vive is more intune with what the VR experience is supposed to be. The Rift IS built better, and their platform is great but it came a little too late for me to feel the experience to be worthwile. At that point I had already gotten my fix with the Vive. And now with the DAS I can say from a comfort level they're on par. 

That being said, I personally choose the Vive over the Rift as I feel in the years ahead they'll maintain the lead in releasing even more immersive VR experiences and I like Steams policy of open VR far more than Facebook's closed "console" mentality to VR titles.

My 2 cents. 
    Let me ask you something. Because I have a suspicion. Do you even HAVE Touch?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,717 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    sultanmr said:
    since the Touch wasnt released till later and I primarily used it for car/space sim games with the corresponding wheel/flight sticks

Humbly speaking, with as little bias as possible; A year in, I still use my Vive more as I feel the Vive is more intune with what the VR experience is supposed to be. The Rift IS built better, and their platform is great but it came a little too late for me to feel the experience to be worthwile.

I personally choose the Vive over the Rift as I feel in the years ahead they'll maintain the lead in releasing even more immersive VR experiences and I like Steams policy of open VR far more than Facebook's closed "console" mentality to VR titles.

A couple things I couldn't help but notice:
    1. While the Vive did release with more features over a year ago, such as room-scale and hand controllers, why does that matter if you only care about seated SIMS?
    2. To-date there is only one "real VR game" to enjoy with all the Vive's features, Onward. And it has bugs/hacks.
    3. An unbiased conclusion in anyone's case would take in to account "present day" features; but you specifically say that you personally prefer the Vive because of how things compared "over a year ago," even though those features don't line up with your seated SIMS preference.
    4. OpenVR vs Platform Exclusives is an "ideological" preference, which is at the heart of most biased views.
    5. All of your arguments in favor of the Vive are exactly the same arguments Atmos73 has made since May of last year; that seems oddly coincidental. Do you know him outside this forum?

Atmos73 said:
    sultanmr said:
    Well said @sultanmr and plenty of people who own both say the same thing on Reddit but its rare you hear it here on the official Oculus Forums for obvious reasons.

Most people on Reddit are advising everyone to buy a Rift instead of a Vive? Because despite sultanmr's preference to use the Vive's superior roomscale for sit-down SIM games.... he did say that people should get the Rift instead "because of its build quality." It is pretty rare for you to admit that most prefer the Rift, Atmos :p
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    I agree with his choice of Vive over Rift.
    Well of course you do - lol, it's been your constant stream of feedback on this forum for at least 15 months now. His arguments copy yours almost verbatim; enough to presume it may be your Alt Account ;)

His final recommendation was Rift over Vive, present day. And it is only present day that matters. All arguments in favor of the Vive, whether made by him or by you, involve things that were only true 15 months ago but are no longer true today.

Atmos73 said:
    If everything was equal and the DAS was included with the Knuckles we'd be back to pre Rift sale 2:1 sales figures in Vives favour. Let's see what happens.
    That "if" scenario is fictitious wishful thinking. And we are already "seeing what happens." You predicted that the Oculus Summer Sale was a last ditch effort for Facebook to cash out before abandoning the Rift. You were not only wrong, but more educated articles are being published predicting HTC's demise:

Is this the Beginning of the End for the HTC Vive?

https://www.vrbeginnersguide.com/is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-the-htc-vive/

B)
    Another good article related to the growing problems for HTC and the Vive.
    https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-price-partner-problem/
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    Another good article related to the growing problems for HTC and the Vive.
    https://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-price-partner-problem/

Good article. I like this blurb regarding Microsoft and Facebook:
    Frankly, this sets up the holiday 2017 PC VR market as being a battle between Facebook and Microsoft. Where Vive sits in this battle is unclear at best. At worst, it might be pushed into a corner of the market reserved for arcades and niche setups.

I think it's great that Microsoft and Facebook can compete while also supporting each other: the Rift runs primarily on the Windows OS, and a Microsoft App streams Xbox-Rift data.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,708 Valuable Player
    HTC are going to be well and truly fucked when the LG headset launches too. I can see them going under sooner rather than later unfortunately. It's a real shame because I've always liked their mobile phones...but that side of their business is failing for the same reason that the VR side of their business will soon fail - their stuff is just too expensive to buy.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:

elboffor said:
    Im sorry to say my pc isnt even plugged in and all my sensors have been packed away as im decorating ready to sell my house :(

My new playspace (assuming i manage to get the house im after) will be this (minus the fuseball, rocking horse, plants and dining table)

@elboffor Did you ever move in to this place in the end?
    We decided against it as it was ridiculously overpriced. Still looking, but my misses has accepted that wherever we move to it has to have a room for me to work at home and a seperate space big enough for some roomscale action.
    In the meantime I've set up my vr again by fixing my my sensors to the top of my doorframes and one on a selfie stick. 

Welcome back btw, its been a while :)

PS vive sux :p
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    @Zenbane
    I never said FB would ditch the Rift.

Well this is what you said:
    Facebooks business model when it comes to VR is more a mess now than it's ever been but people here see there village burning and cheer because their house is creating the highest flame.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/534089/#Comment_534089

The village is "Oculus" and "burning" typically implies destruction. So if you didn't mean to say that Facebook is making choices that will result in Oculus going away (Oculus is the village going up in flames), then what exactly did you mean?

;)
    Atmos73 said:
    @Zenbane

I never said FB would ditch the Rift. Not the way Samsung will ditch GearVR now they support a rival platform. I wonder how long it will be before Samsung stop GearVR production, 12-18 months from now? Two years from now GearVR will be a dead format and analysts agree. Then what for Oculus? Carry on producing Rifts at cost and giving games away to prop up Oculus Home while Rifters buy content on Steam? I don't think it's the business model FB where looking at when they paid 3 billion for Oculus. 

We've already gone over this. Oculus are going to bring their $200 standalone headset to the market. And Gear VR won't be a dead format because you'll end up having the new Oculus headset using the same Store and being compatible with the Gear VR software.

Can't remember the codename of it now, but it's coming soon. Probably why Samsung are dropping the GearVR because they know that unless they include it with their mobile phone contracts for free nobody will use it after the new Oculus standalone headset has released. $200 and no need for a mobile phone or PC.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    We've already gone over this.
    Every argument with our beloved Atmos involves ground that's been covered many times over. Notice how he didn't answer my question? He'll just wait a few days, weeks, or months, and then again deny ever saying that Facebook was ditching Oculus.

As the VR World turns... <3
    Atmos73 said:
    No Zenbane burning as in dropping prices so low that profits on hardware are wiped out which means any hardware manufacturer needs to compete with zero. So not only does it hurt Oculus who now only make money from software sales a lot of which they give for free but it hurts other manufacturers who want to invest and develop VR headsets.
    How does hurting the competition equate to hurting ones own self? You are arguing that if I set my enemy on fire, that what I really did is set myself on fire? Burning your village means burning my village? Dafuq?

Let's try it this way:
    When the Patriots beat the Falcon's for the Super Bowl, in your mind the Patriots really lost? :D
    @Atmos73,

"Oculus have dropped the price of Touch from £199 to £99 in the space of two months"

"So now were on to game sales which Oculus needs to compete with Steam"

As snowdog stated, we've been down this road before. You refuse to stop scrambling the facts. The Steam software generates revenue for Valve, the Vive hardware sales generate revenue for HTC. When Facebook decides to sacrifice hardware profits in favor of software profits, what that does is force HTC to take market share loss on Hardware without any ability to recover since Steam belongs to Valve.

All of that, along with everything else you just argued, is thoroughly analyzed in the article that adequately spells the demise of the HTC Vive:
    https://www.vrbeginnersguide.com/is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-the-htc-vive/

So you are not counter-arguing any present day facts. You are just repeating the same wishful thinking arguments that you've hung on to for over a year.

You keep calling it "Oculus' broken business model" which doesn't even make sense due to the real world fact that this is entirely Facebook's model. It's not a broken model either, it's a success metric that multi-billion dollar industries like Microsoft have used for decades.

What's funny is that you are the one that keeps pretending that Microsoft abandoned Oculus (even though they didn't), and Facebook is ditching Oculus (even though they are not)... when the truth is that Valve is kicking HTC to the dirt:

LG’s new headset is basically an HTC Vive, with an awesome flip-up screen

LG and Valve introduced a competing headset with many of the Vive’s features
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/2/14769624/lg-valve-vr-headset-development-kit-hands-on-gdc-2017

You can keep denying it, but HTC's doom is on the surface B)
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    You say what matters is the today. Well as of today Oculus is a 3 billion black hole, Oculus makes nothing from hardware sales, HTC still sell at profit. Oculus give away most of its software and spend millions paying for exclusives, Valve make 30% on every VR title sold on Steam.  So as today goes the only one hurting here is Oculus.
    If all of that is true, then that one real world truth that I have brought to your attention at least 50 times by now (and you always ignore 100%) wouldn't be happening. And that truth is that HTC feels the pressure from Facebook/Oculus so desperately bad that they formed a venture capital alliance where they beg for free handouts:

HTC Vive announces $10 billion VR Venture Capital Alliance
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/29/htc-vive-announces-10-billion-vr-venture-capital-alliance/

HTC started this last June, and I first told you this last June. So that's 14 months straight where you keep making these arguments that contradict the thing that you have known to be true for over a year.

If it were true that HTC is making profit and Oculus is a 3 billion dollar deficit that gives away all its software without making money on it... then HTC would never have scrambled to find 30 other companies to help put together the billions it will take for HTC to compete against Facebook.

Yet after a year of HTC begging for that money... it didn't save them. That's a fact.

If the Oculus execs are laughing at HTC finances they need to look st themselves first.

And again you ignore the facts: it would not be the Oculus execs laughing at HTC, it would be the Facebook execs. Although now the execs at both Valve and LG are laughing at HTC too :D

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,619 Volunteer Moderator
    HTC just reported a $64 million loss in Q2. They're not making any profits, however many Vives they might be selling. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • OpticKingOpticKing Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    edited August 2017
    Just to chime in, it was oculus's plan to sell at cost hardware (or small loss) from the get-go for the sheer reason of having to bring an entire new industry (vr) to life for the masses. Remember now that vr as a whole has had a bad reputation since what, the 70s?

Time and time again they said they were going to make vr a viable market long before they planned to see any profit. Yet you're using that as a defense to twist it and label it as a black-hole they cannot get out of.

I can only imagine the amount of good people that work hard for the small amounts of income they get that have had their childhood dreams come true thanks to this "broken business model".

nalex66 said:
    HTC just reported a $64 million loss in Q2. They're not making any profits, however many Vives they might be selling. 
    This news deserves its own thread  <3
    Atmos73 said:
    You say what matters is the today. Well as of today Oculus is a 3 billion black hole, Oculus makes nothing from hardware sales, HTC still sell at profit
    Just an observation, you keep stating that as if it were fact. No one but FB/Oculus knows what profits they might or might not be generating from the current sales of the Rift bundle.
    Don

Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:
    Atmos73 said:
    You say what matters is the today. Well as of today Oculus is a 3 billion black hole, Oculus makes nothing from hardware sales, HTC still sell at profit
    Just an observation, you keep stating that as if it were fact. No one but FB/Oculus knows what profits they might or might not be generating from the current sales of the Rift bundle.

So unless some one can deliver a more accurate BOM I'll stand by these figures.

I wouldn't. Again no one knows but FB/Oculus what their true costs today are.

Don

Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:
    Atmos73 said:

Oh sweet Jesus, then no one can say how much the Vive costs or how much money HTC have in the bank or how much HTC will drop the Vive or pretty much anything because unless you work for HTC you don't know.

I have given you the most accurate BOM we have but you're still not happy. Oculus don't make the Rift with fairy dust!

Lol, say what? I am quite happy!! And very excited to see Oculus driving the price point for PC-VR, it is going to be good  for everyone overall as things progress. The more VR units that are out there the better for the industry.

Now maybe some day Oculus will start sharing their P&L statements with the general public, until that happens - if ever - no one can really say what they truly are.

So you say they are losing money on all these Rift sales. Perhaps that is true, perhaps not. That is all I am saying. But there certainly is no question FB/Oculus is throwing a ton of money into the industry to help get it growing. Again, that is good for the overall VR industry!
    Don

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,619 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:
    Atmos73 said:
    dburne said:
    Atmos73 said:

Oh sweet Jesus, then no one can say how much the Vive costs or how much money HTC have in the bank or how much HTC will drop the Vive or pretty much anything because unless you work for HTC you don't know.
    Well, we know that HTC has lost hundreds of millions of dollars over the last nine quarterly financial statements. Even if they make a huge profit on every Vive sold, they're still hemorrhaging money, which suggests that they can't afford to drop the price. They're not in it for the future of VR, they're struggling to survive from one day to the next.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 793
    3Jane
    The idea that Oculus "is hurting" is just outright ridiculous.

You are still twisting things around, just for example your implication that it's hurting Oculus that they spend millions for exclusives.
    It is correct that Oculus spent millions, say for getting RR made and then providing it free - but REST ASSURED they knew exactly why they did this...and rather than "hurting" them in any way (the same as with the price drop for the hardware)..what they planned worked out exactly how they wanted and works BRILLIANTLY.

For example, I think their idea to invest in an AAA title like RR and then provide it free for all Rift users is just absolutely genius, probably the best thing they did. Trust me, they had smart people coming up with these strategies, and none of them is out of despair...as you imply...and none of these strategies is "hurting" them. (Looking at the currently absolutely insane success of the Rift which goes like hot cakes currently, which even draws people into VR who possibly not even planned so just two months ago, merely implying how "bad" Oculus is doing and how things are "hurting them" is just a little insane).

Look at sentences like "Oculus gives away most of its software" <-- show us the numbers please. Do they really give away "most of their software"? They make money on EVERY SINGLE NEW VR USER (and its getting more every day), it doesn't matter whether the Rift is possibly sold "at cost" and that they get free AAA titles.

I am not one of these guys, but I have seen people saying that they just got a Rift not long ago and how they already spent many hundreds (one even close to $1000) on VR titles. Where do you think this money goes to? Do you rally believe that Oculus "does stupid things" which hurt them...and do you really believe that HTC with their antiquated HMD, their price and then the LG headset and others around the corner has ANY future?
    edited August 2017
    Unfortunately LG are going to be in a similar (but not anywhere near as bad!) position that HTC are in when they launch their headset. It's going to be more expensive to produce than the Rift so will retail at a higher price. They have the advantage that it'll be using Lighthouse 2.0 technology which is going to be cheaper than HTC's current Lighthouse 1.0 technology to produce, and the advantage of manufacturing their own displays which reduces the manufacturing cost further but it's still going to be more expensive than a Rift.

The Constellation technology is A LOT cheaper to produce. You've got glorified black and white webcams and IR LEDs on the headset and controllers. These things cost peanuts.

And yes, I believe that Oculus are making a loss on each Rift sold for 400 smackeroonies but when they raise the price to 500 they SHOULD be breaking even because Hans Hartmann knows his proverbial onions. By the time of the end of Q1 next year or the start of Q2 we'll see a permanent price cut back down to 400 with Oculous breaking even on each Rift and Touch unit sold.

The clever thing that Oculus have done is with their Constellation system because it keeps production costs down and enables them to cut costs like mad later on down the line. The thing that was the Vive's advantage at the beginning has turned out to be its Achilles Heel. Kind of funny when you think about it lol :D

edited August 2017

Atmos73 said:

What about the $64 million dollars in Q2 losses HTC reported? Do you stand by those figures?

HTC’s Q2 Financial Report Shows a Loss of $64.23 Million, 9th Quarterly Loss in a Row

https://www.xda-developers.com/htc-q2-financial-report-shows-loss/

It seems like your village is burning, and you're just excited because your house is creating the highest flame B)
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    I don't care what their mobile division is doing. If you read my last post I already shown you HTC Vive Corp is a seperate entity.

HTC has been reporting losses since 2015:

HTC Cards $101M Loss In Q4 2015, Its Third Successive Quarter In The Red
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/03/htc-cards-101m-loss-in-q4-2015-its-third-successive-quarter-in-the-red/

You can cherry pick the facts by using the phrase "their mobile division" all you like, but it is the same company that is bad at business. Branching off the Vive to another division under the same failed business model. If that spells "hope" for you then you really don't understand how "failed business models" work; despite the fact that you've been trying so hard to judge Facebook/Oculus on their business model for years :D

Also: HTC Vive Corp is brand new, but the Vive has been under HTC's main division since its release. As of right now, the truth is that HTC made zero profits after launching the Vive. No one can yet predict how HTC Vive Corp will perform since they haven't done anything other than give Vive owners like yourself a false sense of hope that "all is not lost" :D

Atmos73 said:
    It's like say ooh look at Sony they're not selling 3D TV's any more their whole Corp must be burning. 

The only difference is that Sony has not been reporting losses for 9 Quarters in a Row. But HTC has; and this isn't the first time in history HTC has back-to-back quarterly losses.

Atmos73 said:
    I'm glad snowdog agrees with me that Oculus make no profit on the Rift as he's the expert here on the Oculus Forums.
    Everyone knows that Oculus gets their main profit from software; which includes all the licensing fees and store percentages for Gear VR. You remember Gear VR right? That thing that outsells the Vive 2:1 ??

It's hilarious to watch you dance around the fact that HTC's business model has kept them on the verge of Bankruptcy for at least 3 years now. All of your attempts to criticize the Facebook/Oculus business model are pure fantasy and wishful thinking.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,009 Valuable Player
    Have missed you both fighting gently discussing  VR

Now just need @nalex66 with a over the top cute kitty meme and the forums are back!!!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    edited August 2017
    And on the plus side...

After HTC declares bankruptcy, Vive Users will get to spend at least 6 more months walking around in a fanstic new Steam VR Skin that is a Vive Exclusive: