New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap: dont get it Wet

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,486 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    But at least we'll be walking tether free with the TPcast wireless module hahaha
    I can certainly appreciate the "going out with a bang" approach. If HTC lasts long enough to release yet another VR Hardware product nobody uses, then yeah, at least you'll have that ;)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited August 2017
    Atmos73 said:
    It might be around the same time FB write off that 3 billion.

Which decade Oculus start making a profit is anyone's guess. There's more chance man reaching Mars first!

3 billion? Facebook can recoup that by the 3rd quarter with their consumer advertising revenue alone. The company nets more than 1 billion per quarter with just this single revenue stream. Facebook could buy 1 Oculus-sized company a year using just their spare change :D

But do you know what happens to HTC each Quarter?
    HTC Cards $101M Loss In Q4 2015

You are aware that "losses" can't be written off, right? :p

Also, man is predicted to be on Mars by 2030. How much do you wanna bet that the rest of the world will be using a Facebook HMD to experience that landing together?

I have also guessed that Mars will be declared uninhabitable in the end, but used as a waste station. A perfect spot to dump all those Vive's that aren't being sold anymore.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    I am sorry but I just can not see a downside here.

Oculus lowers the cost of entry into PC-VR substantially.
    They are selling the crap out of new units as is evidenced by all the orders I see folks posting about and backlogs to get stock. PC Gaming forums are becoming more active in VR talk now and many posting they have ordered their first unit.

This is good for the overall VR market and helps boost the adaptation into PC-VR by gaming enthusiasts. It also promotes healthy competition and forces competitors to strive to compete as well. As well as enticing more developers to look into supporting the technology for both their current games and future games to be developed, along with other experiences as well.

The PC-VR industry is not going to survive relying solely on the folks that already had VR up until now, sharing their happy stories on these forums.  It needs to keep growing exponentially in order to justify continued R&D and future generations of the devices.

Whatever reason behind the decision by FB/Oculus, it was a good move for the industry overall, it benefits all of us VR enthusiasts,  and will be good for both customers and developers alike. Hopefully HTC will be taking a hard look at their business model as well, and doing what they can to be more competitive going forward. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited August 2017
    dburne said:
    I am sorry but I just can not see a downside here.

Whatever reason behind the decision by FB/Oculus, it was a good move for the industry overall, it benefits all of us VR enthusiasts,  and will be good for both customers and developers alike. Hopefully HTC will be taking a hard look at their business model as well, and doing what they can to be more competitive going forward. 
    Not even HTC sees the downside, as they try to literally copy everything that Facebook/Oculus does:
    1. Oculus has Oculus Home firmware, so HTC tries to launch Vive Port. Fail.
    2. Oculus has access to Facebook's billions, so HTC gets 30 companies to start a billion dollar capital alliance. Fail.
    3. Oculus launches Touch controllers with Finger Tracking, HTC sticks their banana wands on a frame and calls them Knuckles. Fail.
    4. Oculus is a private company that doesn't have to report earnings, after multiple years of reporting huge losses... HTC launches a private HTC Vive Corp to hide their deficit. Fail.

Everything Atmos tries to call a "failed business model" is really just Facebook successfully accomplishing the things that HTC tries and fails to mimic later.

But that's why we all love Atmos so much. He's like that cute puppy that keeps trying to jump up on a couch, but ends up repeatedly falling down in that adorable way:

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,654 Valuable Player
    Nobody in their right mind will end up forking out $250 on making their Vive or any other VR headset wireless. Only people with more money than sense tbh. The wires on these headsets are a minor inconvenience. If it was $50-100 and the battery lasted more than 5 minutes it would be a different kettle of fish altogether.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited August 2017
    snowdog said:
    Nobody in their right mind will end up forking out $250 on making their Vive or any other VR headset wireless. Only people with more money than sense tbh. The wires on these headsets are a minor inconvenience. If it was $50-100 and the battery lasted more than 5 minutes it would be a different kettle of fish altogether.
    I'm pretty sure that the Number 1 used HTC Vive software is BigScreen (with Onward as a close 2nd).

Vivarians needs a tetherless HMD badly, because their main VR activity involves... talking angrily online about VR. I can't imagine how many Vive users have almost destroyed their HMD cable while reacting to every great piece of Facebook/Oculus news:

A standalone Vive HMD will greatly aid Vivarians in their "scream and run" routines <3

Jim Henson was amazing. I cried like a baby when I heard that he died. He and my Nan were responsible for my early childhood not being an unbearable nightmare. I used to love The Muppet Show and when I was 5 I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and my Nan bought me a Kermit the Frog puppet. It wasn't official merchandise or anything because my family have never had a great deal of money but when you're 5 years old you don't care about these things. To me it was Kermit :D

I've had to have 2 injections every day for most of my life and when I was a kid I used to give Kermit his injection before I did mine. It sounds stupid but it really helped me cope with things back then.

I still have Kermit to this day, he's sitting on top of my wardrobe B)<3

Mind you, he hasn't had an injection for donkey's years so I've probably killed him through neglect :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I'm going to have to stop with these serious posts! :o:D:D:D

edited August 2017
    snowdog said:
    I'm going to have to stop with these serious posts! :o:D:D:D
    It's okay buddy. Any thread authored by me automatically gets the trait: Topic Derail Boost x50
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,722 Valuable Player
    Zen, Atmos can you two just agree to disagree.

Oculus is not going away Atmos.
    The Vive hopefully isnt going away Zen.

We need the HMD market to stay open so development gets pushed faster.
    An example would be akin to the Processor market with Intel and Amd dukeing it out. 
    Amd being the little guy in that fight.

Now honestly with the price difference as it is right now the smart thing for any consumer to do is to buy a Rift since its half the Frackin price!

Look back in the day when Neo Geo tried to bring a Arcade console machine to the market.
    It was amazing but the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo killed it with sales because of the huge price difference.

Vive needs to drop their price to remain competitive period thetre is no other answer.

Sure each Rift is now being sold at cost or damn near at cost now but after the sale it goes back to 500$ A profit will be made per headset and its still 300$ less then a Vive.

Atmos Oculus is making money on their software sales same as Valve does.
    I have purchased just one game off of Steam and 12 on OH.
    Most Rifters are the same hell when you start your Rift the sales are presented to you and the games are not hard to find on the store.

WAAAGH!
    Steam is a bit of a mess and has been for quite some time unfortunately. Since that Greenlight bollocks started and things haven't got any better since their Steam Direct thing started a couple of months ago. Before the Greenlight nonsense Valve actually CURATED their store. It was difficult to get any old crap on there, but nowadays you don't even need to have a game that boots up to get on there. Which is fucking ridiculous.

It's one reason why I'm going for the Oculus Store for my game, as I'm going to have it on sale for charity I don't want it lost in the sea of steaming shite that Steam has. Plus I'm hopefully going to get funding from Oculus with a bit of luck. If I don't get funding then I'll be forced to give it away for free because I'm using a lot of trial/student version software to make this happen and it isn't able to be used for commercial use. If I get around 3 grand or so then I'll be good to go. B)

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,529 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    vannagirl said:
    Have missed you both fighting gently discussing  VR

Now just need @nalex66 with a over the top cute kitty meme and the forums are back!!!
    Sorry @vannagirl, the cat memes are currently busy serving a higher purpose.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,008 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    vannagirl said:
    Have missed you both fighting gently discussing  VR

Now just need @nalex66 with a over the top cute kitty meme and the forums are back!!!
    Sorry @vannagirl, the cat memes are currently busy serving as higher purpose.
    Fond memories of Barcelona i hope to all caught up in this evil they come through stronger.

I salute you @nalex66
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,731 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    Zenbane said:
    And on the plus side...

After HTC declares bankruptcy, Vive Users will get to spend at least 6 more months walking around in a fanstic new Steam VR Skin that is a Vive Exclusive:

But at least we'll be walking tether free with the TPcast wireless module hahaha
    It was confirmed a couple of months ago that TPcast wireless module will be released on Oculus too. Came from TPcast themselves.

http://www.revvrstudios.com/rev-vr-podcast-ep-146-evening-tpcast   8:35 on the audio. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,245 Valuable Player
    This was post last month:

We really need to be careful rushing out with the definitive claims like that.

TPCast have only commented in a July interview with RevK that they hope to have a working CV1 in "a few months*" - and that would be "having their system working with*" - rather than a sellable platform. They also made it clear this was not an official statement.

[Those interested in hearing the interview:
    http://www.revvrstudios.com/rev-vr-podcast-ep-146-evening-tpcast ]

Jumping the gun and claiming "...there will be a CV1 version ready before the end of the year*..." is way ahead of itself. We know that TPCast is in well with HTC, so this will be a factor in the length of the needed negotiations with OVR to allow a version of this platform to be sold for CV1 usage.

There is also an issue of some resentment voiced in previous comments from certain OVR execs to the claims made by TPCast (when the wireless Vive system was revealed last year). So jumping the gun to claim there will be a wireless solution for CV1 before the end of the year looks to be incredibly wishful thinking, on a parr with the claims that the CV1 would be supported by the XboneX!

Note - [*]= Paraphrased
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited August 2017
    Why do you believe that TPCast would have to do any negotiations with Oculus? It's a third-party accessory to wirelessly broadcast an HDMI and a USB signal from the PC to their battery-powered break-out box. It shouldn't require any software accommodation if they're clever. I don't see that they need any approval or permission from Oculus to sell that.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    kevinw729 said:
    This was post last month:

We really need to be careful rushing out with the definitive claims like that.

TPCast have only commented in a July interview with RevK that they hope to have a working CV1 in "a few months*" - and that would be "having their system working with*" - rather than a sellable platform. They also made it clear this was not an official statement.

[Those interested in hearing the interview:
    http://www.revvrstudios.com/rev-vr-podcast-ep-146-evening-tpcast ]

Jumping the gun and claiming "...there will be a CV1 version ready before the end of the year*..." is way ahead of itself. We know that TPCast is in well with HTC, so this will be a factor in the length of the needed negotiations with OVR to allow a version of this platform to be sold for CV1 usage.

There is also an issue of some resentment voiced in previous comments from certain OVR execs to the claims made by TPCast (when the wireless Vive system was revealed last year). So jumping the gun to claim there will be a wireless solution for CV1 before the end of the year looks to be incredibly wishful thinking, on a parr with the claims that the CV1 would be supported by the XboneX!

Note - [*]= Paraphrased
    Yea but it's coming which is all I said. If they take too long to deliver with Oculus strong sales, someone else will follow in quick order now that the FCC has approved one and there's a path forward.
    edited August 2017
    90% of Atmos' post history involves wishful thinking and rushing out with definitive claims that aren't really true. So your proclamation can be taken as concrete with that the baseline @pyroth309
     :D 
    It doesn't matter whether they release it for the Rift or not, it's going to flop because it's WAY too expensive. The wires on these headsets is a minor inconvenience that people soon get used to. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend $250 on it. Half the price then it'll sell decently.

edited August 2017
    snowdog said:
    It doesn't matter whether they release it for the Rift or not, it's going to flop because it's WAY too expensive. The wires on these headsets is a minor inconvenience that people soon get used to. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend $250 on it. Half the price then it'll sell decently.
    Like anything, early adopters will pay and they'll move units at that price. Once that dries up the prices will come down. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't throw 250 down for one lol. I already own over 100 VR titles, what's 250 bucks more to be untethered hah. But I realize I'm in the minority :P

To be honest though I'm not sure how cheap they'll be able to get it down to. A good gaming router is upwards of 300 bucks and this is in that vein.
    nalex66 said:
    Why do you believe that TPCast would have to do any negotiations with Oculus? ...I don't see that they need any approval or permission from Oculus to sell that.
    Ok, some basic information on how the commercial market works, against wishful thinking.

Firstly, even the use of the "Oculus VR" brand comes with the need to retain permission from the "brand holder" to use it. A factor in why so many developers abandoned usage of certain brands and move into independent development rather than association on a certain platform. If the brand owner does not like what your doing they can start legal action for "improper representation or usage of brand" - and those kind of legal actions hurt!

Secondly, the TPCast system for the OVR platform will need to be compatible with certain code and firmware to be able to be deployed on the platform. This will require OVR development support, and for a formal release will need to be compatible with the release versions of the headset in circulation, so that needs access to the revision library retained by OVR - no support from OVR and backward and forward (future) compatibility will not be achieve and lay TPCast open to issues down the road.

These are just the fundamentals, there is a lot more detail regarding the need to have OVR's support in releasing hardware or firmware that supports their consumer electronic product. To think you can just release something that works with another hardware and not have any issue is a naive approach to business. Think on this - if I created a device that worked integrally with a Sony Playstation, I would have to get Sony's permission (as all the joypad manufacturers that create units do).

There seems to be an attitude to VR recently that sees people running away with wishful "expectations" without any "real world" parameters. Like those that thought that it was obvious that the MS XboneX would work with Rift, when we already knew that MS' association with FB/OVR was not in good shape. Just because you want something does not mean its obviously going to happen!

Finally, towards the point on the price of the TPCast, making it a high ask for the current consumer VR community - I have to agree it is a high price for this sector... but I don't think the hardware will find its true calling in consumer application ;) 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • w_benjaminw_benjamin Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    snowdog said:
    I can tell you I have no problem shelling out for a wireless rig for my Oculus.

I bring my setup to to people's house a lot, so a cable suspension system for that won't work.

Right now I use it in my living room, and I would rather not have a suspension cabling system there either, but there's no way I can have it on the ground.

I play Space Pirate Trainer a lot, and I have stepped on the cable more than a few times, but having it in the air isn't great either (I've gotten tangled a few times as well.)

What I'm really looking forward to is when I put my rig outside.

I've done that a couple of times, and it is great, as it allows for a very large gaming area. (a solid 16 x 16), which I liked in games like Arizona Sunshine.

The biggest issue with that right now is getting tangled in the cable (unless someone holds it for you), so count me in on the wireless..., woo hoo!!
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea but it's coming which is all I said. If they take too long to deliver with Oculus strong sales, someone else will follow in quick order now that the FCC has approved one and there's a path forward.
    Totally agree - the door has been opened by the TPCast Vive US certification. I was sceptical at first that the FCC would award TPCast their first request - but the company went away and made the requested changes and managed to squeeze through.

I have seen a number of other Asian companies with TPCast-like wireless systems. You just have to look at the work of VRStudios in the States to see applications already in operation - and anyone who went to ChinaJoy will also be familiar with a number of the new start-ups that want to enter this market.

For me the question is will OVR embrace what TPCast wants to achieve (helping their sales), or will they see this as a detriment to their "Standalone" aspirations and block adoption?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited August 2017
    w_benjamin said:
    I can tell you I have no problem shelling out for a wireless rig for my Oculus.

I play Space Pirate Trainer a lot
    I prefer VR Invaders, but both are very well done "arcade style space-themed waver-shooters." I do think that you made a fair point in regards to a general use for a Wireless HMD. However, I don't see a real need for anyone doing competitive gameplay (e.g. the leagues starting up in Echo Arena). When perfection is required for competition, "wired" is the way to go.

Games like Space Pirate Trainer and VR Invaders are more arcade-style; so a wireless HMD is suitable.
    edited August 2017
    kevinw729 said:

There seems to be an attitude to VR recently that sees people running away with wishful "expectations" without any "real world" parameters. Like those that thought that it was obvious that the MS XboneX would work with Rift, when we already knew that MS' association with FB/OVR was not in good shape. Just because you want something does not mean its obviously going to happen!
    The Xbox does work with the Rift:
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1266881563371842/

With the Xbox One Streaming app, you can play your Xbox One games directly on your Oculus Rift. Connect to your console via the app and watch your games come to life on a huge virtual screen in three immersive virtual theaters. Now you can expand your library of VR games with your favorite Xbox One titles, including Xbox 360 games that are playable on Xbox One. Xbox One Streaming requires your Xbox One console to be connected to the same network as your home PC. * Xbox One Backward Compatibility feature works with select Xbox 360 games, see http://www.xbox.com/backcompat. Xbox Live and broadband internet required for initial download of game to console. Stream to one device at a time.

Wishful thinking can be good if kept within the confines of reality (e.g. people who believe VR Arcades can function as an effective business model). Spreading false information though, is almost always bad.
    edited August 2017
    w_benjamin said:
    I play Space Pirate Trainer a lot, and I have stepped on the cable more than a few times, but having it in the air isn't great either (I've gotten tangled a few times as well.)
    It has been a major issue across the VR community - one of those issues that concerned Sony, and was also a factor in the original "seated" stance that OVR took.

In our sector we have alleviated many of the issues of trip and tangle hazard with the use of suspended cable systems - this is working really well alleviating the obvious issue.

Wireless - against tethered is an obvious position for VR developers - of the numerous legal claims we are following for recompense for injuries sustained using VR, the majority are regarding tripping over cables.

If you want true room / arena-scale application, cable management or removal is essential.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:
    Why do you believe that TPCast would have to do any negotiations with Oculus? ...I don't see that they need any approval or permission from Oculus to sell that.
    Ok, some basic information on how the commercial market works, against wishful thinking.

Firstly, even the use of the "Oculus VR" brand comes with the need to retain permission from the "brand holder" to use it. A factor in why so many developers abandoned usage of certain brands and move into independent development rather than association on a certain platform. If the brand owner does not like what your doing they can start legal action for "improper representation or usage of brand" - and those kind of legal actions hurt!

Secondly, the TPCast system for the OVR platform will need to be compatible with certain code and firmware to be able to be deployed on the platform. This will require OVR development support, and for a formal release will need to be compatible with the release versions of the headset in circulation, so that needs access to the revision library retained by OVR - no support from OVR and backward and forward (future) compatibility will not be achieve and lay TPCast open to issues down the road.

These are just the fundamentals, there is a lot more detail regarding the need to have OVR's support in releasing hardware or firmware that supports their consumer electronic product. To think you can just release something that works with another hardware and not have any issue is a naive approach to business. Think on this - if I created a device that worked integrally with a Sony Playstation, I would have to get Sony's permission (as all the joypad manufacturers that create units do).

Finally, towards the point on the price of the TPCast, making it a high ask for the current consumer VR community - I have to agree it is a high price for this sector... but I don't think the hardware will find its true calling in consumer application ;) 
    Perhaps it's wishful thinking that OVR would stop them. All it does is take the HDMI video signal and USB audio signal and transmit them wirelessly over 60ghz wifi. It's basically like buying an HDMI extension cable but instead of a physical wire you're using a transmitter and receiver. The biggest holdup was the FCC signing off that the tech is harmless for long term usage and ditto with the battery pack and they got approval to be sold in the US. Anyone else that wants to use similar tech should have a quick approval path which is why I think TPCast (especially after their statements) will try to beat everyone else to the Oculus and cash in while they have early approval. If they don't, no matter, someone else will.  

pyroth309 said:
    Perhaps it's wishful thinking that OVR would stop them. All it does is take the HDMI video signal and USB audio signal and transmit them wirelessly over 60ghz wifi. It's basically like buying an HDMI extension cable but instead of a physical wire you're using a transmitter and receiver. The biggest holdup was the FCC signing off that the tech is harmless for long term usage and ditto with the battery pack and they got approval to be sold in the US. Anyone else that wants to use similar tech should have a quick approval path which is why I think TPCast (especially after their statements) will try to beat everyone else to the Oculus and cash in while they have early approval. If they don't, no matter, someone else will.  
    No wishful thinking - more based on direct contact.

The representative at ChinaJoy made it clear that though they feel they can get it working on the Rift easily - the main sticking point was "...anyone from Oculus returning their calls!!"

It would seem obvious that while FB/OVR are in sales number mode they would support anyone that could sell more units - but there is still an internal issue of how much they want to "play with others"!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:

Gee Kev, thanks for the condescending lesson on how the commercial market works. I still say you're talking a bunch of bollocks. The product doesn't have to bear the Oculus brand mark to work with the Rift. VR Covers is currently selling Rift-compatible accessories without a brand affiliation. The automotive after-market industry is likewise full of products that can be used with Hondas or Chevrolets without being endorsed by the car manufacturers.

The TPCast device only needs to transmit an HDMI signal and a USB signal without adding so much latency that the Rift fails its PC handshake. It's an extension cable with an air gap. That doesn't have anything to do with Rift firmware or code. "If they're clever", i.e. if they can make it work well enough, then the Rift needn't even know that there is a device between it and the PC. 

There are are plenty of hardware devices that work with the Rift without any involvement or endorsement from Oculus. They didn't have anything to do with my HDMI extension cable, USB add-on card, or active USB extenders for my sensors. I'm not aware of any formal relationship between OVR and VR Covers, yet they're selling a popular Rift aftermarket accessory. 

TPCast may prefer to have a formal arrangement with Oculus, but they certainly don't need it. If they can make a device that works, they can sell it, and I'm sure (some) people will buy it.