cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oculus Rift dead?

Mike1304
Explorer
Every new big AAA-announcement (Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout VR, Star Wars Battlefront 2 VR...) will be released for HTC Vive and/or Sony PlayStation VR but NOT for Oculus Rift! 
Even tons of new Indie- and early access games are released daily on Steam as "HTC vive only" whereas there are almost no Rift-exclusives... 
Did I buy the wrong VR-device??? Is the Rift dead?
115 REPLIES 115

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
Yes. It is dead. So we are.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm wait lemme check - puts on headset - whew, nope mine is still breathing. Dang gave me a scare there for a minute...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Every single Vive game on Steam so far can be played on the Rift. And even if Bethesda hardware lock Fallout 4 and Doom VR to the Vive it's only a matter of time before someone hacks it to make it possible.

So no, the Rift isn't anywhere near being dead.

This E3 has been pretty poor for VR tbh, Fallout 4 looks like Bethesda have made VERY little effort in bringing it into VR, Doom doesn't look like it has free locomotion going by the trailer and Skyrim VR is currently PSVR exclusive, although I reckon it's going to be a timed exclusive personally.

Given the lack of new AAA VR games from this E3 (Skyrim for the PSVR is the only one we've seen) I can see Oculus putting in another $250m to fund developers and get some more AAA quality games to the Oculus Store next year.

Big publishers just aren't prepared to invest in AAA VR development yet, Bethesda is the only one so far.

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star

Mike1304 said:

Every new big AAA-announcement (Skyrim VR, Doom VFR, Fallout VR, Star Wars Battlefront 2 VR...) will be released for HTC Vive and/or Sony PlayStation VR but NOT for Oculus Rift! 
Even tons of new Indie- and early access games are released daily on Steam as "HTC vive only" whereas there are almost no Rift-exclusives... 

It's far from dead go check out the new sleeper hit 'Dead Effect 2 VR' (currently on Steam)
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

Mike1304 said:

Do you have any idea how many apps are in Oculus Home?

My Rift is alive and well, thank you for your concern.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Hmmm, depends on your definition of dead.

Hmm um dead is well - dead.
Not much ambiguity there. Oculus Rift is certainly far from dead.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
The simple answer to your question is, no the Rift is not dead. That's a bit drastic to conclude because of a few big games that are related to Zenimax, and I don't know of any half decent game on Steam that doesn't plan to have Rift support.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Atmos73 said:

dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.

So would the Xbox when it came out.  They are obviously going the route of Consumption device Like Amazon does with their fire products.  Vive would also fail without the financial support of Valve....  None of them are sustainable at the moment, fortunately these players are in the game for the long haul...

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

dburne said:

Well Oculus have an unsustainable business model as in it spends more than it makes. Do you think they make profit on the HMD when they slashed the price the way they have? Do you think they make a profit on the Touch at $99.99 once retail takes its 30%? Do you think FB make back each $250,000,000 investment FB indulge on games to boost OH sales?

The bare truth is if FB wasn't paying 'life support' Oculus would very well be dead.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛