New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

1.16 Rift Release Notes

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
  • Features:
    • Mixed reality capture: We've begun adding support for developers who want to create videos and content that merges live footage of people using Rift and Touch with VR footage from their apps. It may be a little while before you see the end results, since mixed reality requires developers to take several steps including updating their apps and setting up an extra Touch controller as a trackable VR Object before recording the footage, but we're excited about the future.
    • Oculus apps and software updates: We redesigned the interface and the technical process for updates to give you more information and control over each update. You'll have access to release notes to find out what's new in each update, and the interface is now clearer and easier to use.
    • Issue reporting: You can now report an issue directly from within the Oculus software, to help us make future improvements. Note that you should still contact Oculus Support directly if you're having an ongoing issue.
    • Environments: Environments change the look of Oculus Home. The next time you enter Oculus Home after updating the Oculus software, you'll see the new Cityscape environment. If you wish, you can switch back to the Classic Oculus Home, and we'll be adding more environments later.
    • Friends: If your friends choose to let you know, you'll now see whether your Oculus friends and Facebook friends are using Rift or Gear VR.
    • Language support: You'll now be able to choose one of four supported languages when initially setting up Rift and Touch.
    • Oculus Store: We've started supporting 360º-only content. We'll tell which games are 360º-only, and even alert you if you're about to purchase this content and we don't recognize your setup to have 360º tracking configured. Also added full-screen screenshots for apps.
  • Bug fixes:
    • Oculus software on your computer: Fixed an issue with window scaling.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 763 Poster of the Week
    nice - can't wait
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,249 Poster of the Week
    Ooh, will the promotional Star Trek environment be selectable any time we wish?  Or the holiday-specific ones?
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    I cheated and signed onto the test channel. looks awesome.. I found a few easter eggs, but I won't ruin it :smiley:

• dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    Looking forward to some of the new Home environments!
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sounds like a really nice update!

"You'll have access to release notes to find out what's new in each update..." - Excellent! :smiley:
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    CrashFu said:
    Ooh, will the promotional Star Trek environment be selectable any time we wish?  Or the holiday-specific ones?
    Yeah, that would be cool.

Also, an environment set inside the actual Enterprise bridge would be awesome. But, for me personally it would absolutely have to be the Enterprise D bridge; it's the only bridge with a design and aesthetic where I'd actually want to sit in it for hours chilling.
    Art3mis
    edited June 16
    When is this update going to go live? I still have only the normal environment when I go into my headset.
  • VRoaaarVRoaaar Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    When will the "analog TV snow" problem be solved in Dirt Rally?
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,456 Poster of the Week
    This sounds great another step in the right direction
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    When is this update going to go live?
    As always, it is a staged roll out, so people will be getting the update automatically over the next couple days. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nangunangu Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks!! Looking forward to more customization and content on Home.

One question though, Will be possible in the future to use the dev tool on a non admin account? Or better, Do you have any plan to include a pixel density / ASW option in Home?

Thanks!!
  • Adinsx12Adinsx12 Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    yay updates! love the new environment! any plans on adding a messaging system within the next couple updates though?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 997 Poster of the Week
    Anyone else getting a bugged fireplace? Sometimes the square fire cubes can be seen through the chimney, and sometimes they don't rise at all.
  • BadDanMEBadDanME Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    VRoaaar said:
    When will the "analog TV snow" problem be solved in Dirt Rally?
    Had the same problem in Talos Principle too. But it bothers me more in Dirt Rally. ;)
    Elite Dangerous is playing up with the new version - goes to a completely black screen and you have to load <something> to get it to work..

Guess Frontier need to update their client (which'd be nice so I got my arms back in witchspace)
  • flashpirateflashpirate Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Due to a bug, I've been unable to download beta channel updates since 1.15; it just says "An Oculus update has started downloading" for hours every time I open Oculus. I've tried repairing the installation to no avail. Extremely high quality internet connection and modern rig.

Is there a direct download link?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,662 Volunteer Moderator
    Elite Dangerous works fine for me on 1.16. No flaws, been playing it over the week end.

Art3mis
    edited June 18
    I have a few observations and suggestions regarding the updated menu and environment stuff (and these things might seem insignificant to some, but they are extremely stressful for people like me with some level of OCD):

1. The new environments button icon looks a bit over-designed compare to the other four button icons. Maybe you could remove the window details on the little button graphic or make it a simple mountain outline shape or something like that; it just needs a tiny tweak to go perfectly with the rest of the buttons in terms of the amount of detail in the given area.

2. The new skyscraper environment is cool but the weakest part of the image is the part looking out onto the skyscrapers. That section is actually a bit fake looking and also makes the menu stuff look like it's sitting slightly off-center or something because of the asymmetric shape of edge of the infinity pool. Also, there's something about the way that particular view looks behind the menus that doesn't seem quite right, like the two parts don't quite work together visually and the whole scene ends up looking a bit flat or the wrong perspective or something. I actually think it would be much nicer if you just spun the view 180 degrees and had it looking into the lovely house area that's currently behind you. I get why you obviously want to look out in the open view but right now that section just isn't quite right visually.

3. If you're adding more new environments then I think a nice once to consider would be looking out onto some kind of lovely green grass with trees and and ocean view or something like that. A view with nothing but the untouched beauty of nature and the sounds of a gentle breeze and occasional birds chirping in the background could be so peaceful and relaxing. You know, this kind of thing:

So, just a few things I think you could tweak. I've actually uninstalled the update again because those things stress me out being there, and I'd rather have less that's done basically perfectly than more ultimately unessential stuff with some annoying niggles. That's a general rule I apply to everything in life to be honest: More doesn't always equal better.

Cheers. :-)
    kojack said:
    Elite Dangerous works fine for me on 1.16. No flaws, been playing it over the week end.

hmm ok then... might just be me - I've rebooted several times over the weekend and it still goes to a black screen until I manage to blindly open either Training or normal play.. then it's 100% fine. might reinstall and see what happens.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,662 Volunteer Moderator
    kzintzi said:
    kojack said:

hmm ok then... might just be me - I've rebooted several times over the weekend and it still goes to a black screen until I manage to blindly open either Training or normal play.. then it's 100% fine. might reinstall and see what happens.
    I've seen people on reddit with the same problem, so it's not just you.

• korgen63korgen63 Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Still no update for me. I ALWAYS have to wait 4-5 days...

Why the hell don't you set updates for everyone at once like every company? Or at least let us choose by using a button to force update!

Are you afraid to overload the servers? That's not as if the facebook servers were weak or if oculus had sold millions of rifts!!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    No update here either, I thought I was always the last one. Happens to me every update...
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,326 Valuable Player
    Surprised i don't have it yet.  Usually just a day or two behind.
    The roll out happens over a several day period and this is normal.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,326 Valuable Player
    Just tell me where it is and i'll download it cyber, no need to post it to me on a disc mate.   :D
  • wlppaulwlppaul Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    New Oculus Update definitly broke Elite Dangerous. Since this Update just black screen with Rift. Game runs, menu works, you can hear the menu feedback. But black screen.
    If you are having issues with Elite, can you upload your LogGatherer zip?
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    If you are having issues with Elite, can you upload your LogGatherer zip?
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    will do this tonight when I get home.
    During our latest PC software update rollout, we discovered a minor bug impacting some graphics performance. Affected users will be reverted back to 1.15 while we finish testing the fix, and we'll report back on status here. Thanks for your patience!
  • DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    During our latest PC software update rollout, we discovered a minor bug impacting some graphics performance. Affected users will be reverted back to 1.15 while we finish testing the fix, and we'll report back on status here. Thanks for your patience!
    Can you expand on which users have been affected, just for kicks?
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980