New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

1.16 Rift Release Notes

1235»

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    edited July 2017
    GibStorm said:
    Seriously, what is going on with Oculus Home? The software doesn't seem to have any meaningful development going on. It's been almost a month without a new update, even for the public test channel. During the year I've had my Rift, I haven't seen much change in the form of new functionality that the average user can actually find useful. SteamVR on the other hand, has changed drastically. You guys need to step up your game.

I have no voice control, no refund options, no way to install games on multiple drives, no built-in settings for controlling supersampling, no user downloadable environments, can't walk around in the Home environment, and a friends list I can't use for anything anyway.

SteamVR has most, if not all of these things. In addition to all that, we have all the stupid USB problems and limitations. I'm starting to feel like I got on the wrong boat.
    it's important to remember that Stem have had over 15 years to develop and improve on the Steam client, interface and associated backend infrastructure.. the amount of complaints, issues, questions, rants and other such things that I saw about Steam in the early days were massive. Home has been here for a year.

as for the USB issues, I fell your pain on that one, but it's not an Oculus specific issue - Microsoft have been playing with the USB functionality in Windows 10 for a while now and they've been screwing with things. Microsoft have decided that the latest version of the USB hub driver for one of my USB controllers is no longer compatible with one of the whatever latest updates I got and I had a fun 3 hours of downgrading my drivers, et al.

Microsoft's latest patching framework is annoying as hell - not only is it pissing off just about every IT prof I know, they've introduced a number of issues with a swage of USB peripherals in the past 18 months mainly coz they seem unable to leave the USB power management alone - they killed almost every USB camera on the market a while ago coz they didn't want to support a "non-MS codec" [yes I know, I'm simplifying here].

Our boat has a few issues, but so does the other boat - I know a few people who had both headsets and then sold the vive, and two guys who had a vive, then tried a rift and sold the vive... I don't know of anyone who had a rift, then tried the vive and switched.

the above is based on empirical evidence, but I work in a company that has 400+ IT Engineers of various stripes - everything from linux nuts to REALLY hardcore networking guys (you know, the ones who laugh as subnet mask jokes) - not to mention another ~3000 geeks of varying levels working in it too, and to my knowledge non of them that own a headset have moved from Rift to Vive.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,152 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    GibStorm said:
    Seriously, what is going on with Oculus Home? The software doesn't seem to have any meaningful development going on. It's been almost a month without a new update, even for the public test channel. During the year I've had my Rift, I haven't seen much change in the form of new functionality that the average user can actually find useful. SteamVR on the other hand, has changed drastically. You guys need to step up your game.

I have no voice control, no refund options, no way to install games on multiple drives, no built-in settings for controlling supersampling, no user downloadable environments, can't walk around in the Home environment, and a friends list I can't use for anything anyway.

SteamVR has most, if not all of these things. In addition to all that, we have all the stupid USB problems and limitations. I'm starting to feel like I got on the wrong boat.
    Um, voice control was added a couple releases ago. See that mic icon at the bottom of the interface (in VR)? click it to activate the voice control feature, and you can say "Hey Oculus" followed by "launch X" or "find Y". I'm not sure how much functionality it has (after trying, I don't really use it), but it's there.

Also, an automated refund function has been added in Europe, so we'll hopefully see that soon for everyone else. I agree, multiple drive/library locations would be nice, and will become more and more necessary moving forward, but I'm sure we'll get there eventually. It took Steam YEARS to get some of the features that we now take for granted and expect from other platforms.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • flashpirateflashpirate Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I've been unable to do a three sensor setup since this 1.16 launched, and I've had three sensors since March with no problems.

I've literally tried over fifty different positions and it's always asking for a minor adjustment (frequently to places that are literally impossible). When I make the minor adjustment it complains to move it back. It's never happy.

Also, the move to the centroid of all the sensors message... If it wants me to do that, it should TELL ME where to move. I am in the centroid of all the sensors within 1-2 feet and it gives me no guidance as to where the center might be. I end up going nowhere near the centroid to make it happy, but then it asks me to move a sensor outside of my house.

Or it'll ask to move a sensor over 10 feet away, which would be nice if I could do it without removing a wall. It needs to give you a few drastically different options of sensor positions, or a way to map the room and help you plan it. It assumes everyone lives in a featureless empty cuboid with 15 feet of USB to each sensor and perfect sightlines.

Sorry for the angst. Really I am. But I feel like an idiot for buying this in January for $800, to see slowly marked down with huge store credits over time, now to $400 today, and totally unable to use it. I feel somewhat justifiably pissed off that this update broke calibration so badly.
    @flashpirate you can click Proceed even if it doesn't like the position of a sensor. I switched my 2 sensor setup from front to diagonal, and it didn't like that my sensors were more than 6 feet apart. I carried on and set up my Guardian boundaries, and tracking works perfectly. Sometimes what the program recommends doesn't make sense, or doesn't work for your space.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    I've been unable to do a three sensor setup since this 1.16 launched,

I've literally tried over fifty different positions and it's always asking for a minor adjustment (frequently to places that are literally impossible).

Also, the move to the centroid of all the sensors message...

I just did the 3 sensor setup a couple of times literally minutes ago to test out different configurations. Worked every time. The adjustments being asked for were always understandable and it went to "happy" if done.

But it remains to you what works best in your playspace. As mentioned before, just click "proceed" if you think it should be ok. You can confirm coverage during guardian setup and if you feel neccessary you can go back a step from there to make corrections to your sensor positions.

I my case for instance, I dont like to turn the front sensors as much inwards as the setup suggests, but that doesnt seem to be a problem at all.

As for the "centroid"... you are talking about the steps where you're asked to stay in the middle of your playspace? Well, certainly you know best where this is supposed to be? And certainly you're able to stand roughly there?

Maybe your configuration is kind of weird, maybe something else is wrong. Maybe you can post pictures or a diagram of your setup?

I certainly hope someone can talk you though the setup process.

• GibStormGibStorm Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:
    GibStorm said:

Um, voice control was added a couple releases ago. See that mic icon at the bottom of the interface (in VR)? click it to activate the voice control feature, and you can say "Hey Oculus" followed by "launch X" or "find Y". I'm not sure how much functionality it has (after trying, I don't really use it), but it's there.

Also, an automated refund function has been added in Europe, so we'll hopefully see that soon for everyone else. I agree, multiple drive/library locations would be nice, and will become more and more necessary moving forward, but I'm sure we'll get there eventually. It took Steam YEARS to get some of the features that we now take for granted and expect from other platforms.

Yes I know. Problem is, I live in Denmark. Despite being fluid in english, we are not allowed to enable that feature for some stupid reason. Non-english people get screwed over like that a lot.

End result is that Oculus Home is very basic.
  • flashpirateflashpirate Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I've been unable to do a three sensor setup since this 1.16 launched,

I've literally tried over fifty different positions and it's always asking for a minor adjustment (frequently to places that are literally impossible).

Also, the move to the centroid of all the sensors message...

I just did the 3 sensor setup a couple of times literally minutes ago to test out different configurations. Worked every time. The adjustments being asked for were always understandable and it went to "happy" if done.

But it remains to you what works best in your playspace. As mentioned before, just click "proceed" if you think it should be ok. You can confirm coverage during guardian setup and if you feel neccessary you can go back a step from there to make corrections to your sensor positions.

I my case for instance, I dont like to turn the front sensors as much inwards as the setup suggests, but that doesnt seem to be a problem at all.

As for the "centroid"... you are talking about the steps where you're asked to stay in the middle of your playspace? Well, certainly you know best where this is supposed to be? And certainly you're able to stand roughly there?

Maybe your configuration is kind of weird, maybe something else is wrong. Maybe you can post pictures or a diagram of your setup?

I certainly hope someone can talk you though the setup process.

I appreciate your attempt to help. I do! I've been a game developer for a decade and have a reasonable idea of what I'm doing here -- I've done this setup a dozen times before 1.16 -- the software is broken.

My room is a featureless rectangle of 3m x 5m with matte white walls and a tall ceiling. I position the sensors as recommended in the three-sensor PDF. It's practically ideal. The cables all have their own dedicated USB busses and no extensions, everything is to-spec.

The fact that you can proceed past calibration with it still working is a symptom of a serious problem, not a feature. I wanted to see the sensor coverage visualization which you get after a successful calibration, but at no other time. Also, poor calibration leads to floor issues, which are notorious on Rift.

Regarding the centroid -- not the one after calibration. The stepe during calibration where one of the errors is it wants you to move equidistant to all the sensors, i.e. the centroid of the geometry. Problem is, I *am* standing where I believe to be the center, and it asks me to move without any suggestion how far away or in what direction -- so I end up repeating the step a bunch of times as I try random potions in my room until it's happy. Maybe it wants me on my knees or on top of a chair, I don't know.

It's great that it can still work if you skip calibration, but that's beside the point. Someone with a lot less experience and patience would have returned it and bought a Vive. This is a problem and poor experience.
    You don't skip calibration, you just proceed with it despite the system warning that your setup is not optimal. You still get to the Guardian setup after the sensor setup, so you'll see the sensor coverage at that stage. 
  • DTHDTH Posts: 258
    Nexus 6
    I had my steam account for years how do I set it up and use it with my Rift.  Can I buy a Rift ready game then hit play and but my headset on or???
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    DTH said:
    I had my steam account for years how do I set it up and use it with my Rift.  Can I buy a Rift ready game then hit play and but my headset on or???
    Make sure you have Steam VR installed (you should have a prompt to do this). Then when when you have a game from Steam, just make sure Oculus is running, click on the 'Play in VR' button in Steam, it will fire up Steam VR if it's not already running and automatically launch the game. Headset on or off makes no difference.
    You also need to hit the checkbox for "Allow External Apps" in the Oculus app settings menu (General tab). 
  • gamersbubugamersbubu Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2017
    Why is Oculus keep downloading the Compatiblity.json over and over even though I don't touch it?  The tracking just goes wacky out of the blue and I checked and see that I have Compatiblity.json and CompatibilityNew.json for some reason.  If I delete the CompatibilityNew.json the tracking is fixed until it downloads it again.  WTF is going on Oculus? It happens only after a system restart btw.

EDIT: I looked into the device cache and found a device not listed in the usb vid id list.  I added it to the compatibility file and viola, then I blocked write access.  I restarted my computer and now tracking is better than ever.  Thanks oculus for missing something obvious.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731
    3Jane
    No idea what's going on there, I'd be tempted to download and run the setup app and again and choose the repair option.