New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Question on Elite Dangerous Purchase/Installation

dburnedburne Posts: 1,700 Valuable Player
Hey gang,

I have been wanting to pick up Elite, and see Oculus has a pretty good sale on it currently. My question is, if I purchase this through Oculus Home is it going to have to install to the same installation path as my Oculus Home is installed on - like the Oculus games I have bought? Or with it being also offered outside of Oculus like direct through Frontier, will I be able to install it to an installation path of my choosing if I wanted even though purchased through Oculus?

Thanks for any tips,
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|

Comments

• andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    FD has stated if you bought it on OH you can play it anywhere.  Once you have the account you can link them elsewhere.  I can't remember where I bought mine now but it is included in my OH but I haven't got it installed in OH.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,700 Valuable Player
    Ok good to know, as I would prefer to install in another directory/drive than what I have Oculus Home installed on.
    Thanks,

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • FrontierSupportFrontierSupport Posts: 93 Oculus Partner
    Hey dburne!

Sorry if I'm late to the party - as andysonofbob said, you can indeed swap and change what you PC platform you play the game on, as long as you own it once somewhere. As the game came out on Kickstarter we thought this was the best way for everyone to get what they wanted.

If you own the base game through FrontierStore.net then you can get an Oculus Key and a Steam key immediately. If you purchase through Oculus then you'll be prompted to set up your Frontier Account automatically the first time you play - then you can get a Steam key through the normal method - here's some FAQ articles on how to get the keys you might want:

Purchased from FrontierStore.net - how to obtain a Steam key
    Purchased from Steam? - how to create your Frontier Store account
    Purchased from FrontierStore.net? - how to obtain an Oculus activation key

Hope that's useful!

-CMDR Vanguard
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,700 Valuable Player
    It is very helpful, many thanks!
    Don

• JoeManji08JoeManji08 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I have a similar question that I'll ask here -- I already installed it on OH, but if I want to install it on my SSD (OH is not on this drive), is there a way to keep my HOTAS settings and saved game?
  • GardenheimerGardenheimer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Funny story: I purchased the game from the Oculus store (Summer sale)... but no way I would get a key or something (I created an account at Frontier but cannot link to my Oculus account - Steam is the only option)! So for now thats a waste of money - I really would love to play that game a bit... can you help (and maybe also respond in public HOW you were able to help - I couldn't find a solution to this anywhere...).
  • FrontierSupportFrontierSupport Posts: 93 Oculus Partner
    Hello Gardenheimer,

That sounds weird. The Oculus version of the game should bring up a webpage to link your new purchase on the Oculus to your Frontier Account. If this is skipped then it won't link the account and we'll not be able to get you into the game. Here's an FAQ that should help explain a little more about exactly what should be happening for you: 

Oculus Home FAQ: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=314

If you're still having trouble getting into the game then we can have a good dig into this with you if you'd like. Send us a ticket so we can guarantee we don't miss any of your replies!

Create a ticket: https://support.frontier.co.uk/login.php?page=contact

Hope we can fix your problems soon :)

-CMDR Vanguard
  • philipkuffnerphilipkuffner Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I have looked and cant find were to enter the Oculus key for Elite that I purchased from Frontier it says its in the setting but I cant find it
    growing older is mandatory growing up is optional
  • idimmuidimmu Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've got my rift coming at some point, my game is direct from FD, so I need to get the Oculus Store key in order to use it with the Rift, or is it soft coded into settings I can do from my exisiting installed game?
  • realTIMematrixrealTIMematrix Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have looked and cant find were to enter the Oculus key for Elite that I purchased from Frontier it says its in the setting but I cant find it
    Hi Philip,

start the oculus desktop version, then click on settings. after this you see on the left "account, privacy", etc. click on "account" and you have the possibility to "redeem code" from your frontier store. that works for me.
  • THTremereTHTremere Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited February 10
    So...I bought my copy of elite dangerous through oculus rift and while registering I accidently put in a shortened incorrect version of my email.....so now when I try to log in obviously it is sending the verification code to some random email....How do I get this changed?

The email I put in actually does not exist.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 522
    Neo
    edited February 11
    THTremere said:
    So...I bought my copy of elite dangerous through oculus rift and while registering I accidently put in a shortened incorrect version of my email.....so now when I try to log in obviously it is sending the verification code to some random email....How do I get this changed?

The email I put in actually does not exist.

You'll have to raise a ticket on Frontier's website. https://support.frontier.co.uk/login.php?page=contact

Use the: Can't sign in, Please open a new ticket, bit. Then select the game and platform and choose Account Support, Email and Password Issues and then the Open a Ticket button.