New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Black screen, please help! [SOLVED!] - Thanks Techy111!!

AlertRobotdudeAlertRobotdude Posts: 20
Brain Burst
edited June 2017 in Support
I just got a brand new Oculus Rift and touch. When I first used it, I just got a black screen, and pressing some buttons seemed to open up a tutorial. After "First Contact" and the tutorial, I again received a black screen, which worried me as I believed there was supposed to be your Oculus account and games library accessible through the touch and rift. Opening "Robo Recall" Works fine, although I do have to open it from my desktop. It runs smoothly and perfectly. When attempting to open "Dead and Buried", however, all I received was the audio and a black screen. Completely black with no picture what so ever. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated, I've been REALLY looking forward to the rift and would love to play some of these games!!

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,009 Volunteer Moderator
    What's your pc specs and windows version mate ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • AlertRobotdudeAlertRobotdude Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Techy111 said:
    What's your pc specs and windows version mate ?
    Graphics Chipset
    AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
    CPU Type
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Windows Version
    Windows 10 (64 bit)

Thanks for the help
    Brain Burst
    Ok, I can hear the sounds and music from Oculus home when the headset is on. Same problem with the free game "Rec Room", intro started playing and I could hear the audio, but recieved nothing other than a black screen. When I have it ON, I CAN SEE THE BARRIERS WHEN I WALK UP TO THEM. I can walk up and see the barriers in game, but it's not part of the game!! Really need help thanks!
    edited June 2017
    Just a thought, is the graphics chipset an onboard version ? If thats a yes try disabling onboard graphics mate. And isn't an I3 below min specs ??? Is the rift plugged directly into your graphics card ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    Brain Burst
    It's a top end I3, so it is powerful enough to run games and play VR. The rift it plugged directly in, yes, and how do I know if it's an onboard version, and disable it? I'm a noob with PCs, I got my brother to build mine. Thank you so much for any responce! Again, I can see the barrier and music with the black screen when trying to play any game other than robo recall. At least I can play Robo Recall.
    Brain Burst
    *First contact also works.
    When you start up your PC you'll see the Bios option screen, usually by pressing delete. If I could have your motherboard model and or Bios then we can check/ Or phone your brother and ask?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited June 2017
    Make sure graphics drivers are full up to date and also Windows Update. Also be sure Rift is connected to the primary dedicated GPU and not on the motherboard integrated graphics. Try disabling anti-virus or any GPU overlay apps like MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, F.lux, etc. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Ok, will look into it. Will report back with info for both of you once done, thank you SO MUCH for the help, I was really worried I'd be stranded by myself with no one to help me
    Brain Burst
    Motherboard is MSI Z170A, according to my brother.
    You're gonna kill me lol is it the M3 M5 or Pro or gaming Pro mobo :)
    Brain Burst
    Techy111 said:
    You're gonna kill me lol is it the M3 M5 or Pro or gaming Pro mobo :)

Really sorry, I know I'm not being helpful. This is the worst situation for me to be in  :/ It's the Gaming Pro. Thank you so much again, sorry for the stress
    Can you tell if the rift USB's are plugged into the USB3 slots ? Should be blue and same goes for the sensor. If they are try putting then both into USB2 slots (black)
    Brain Burst
    Alright, will try putting them in the USB 2 as are in USB 3 currently.
    (UPDATE)
    No such luck. Good idea though, worth a shot.
    Have you done all the bits and bobs cyber said in his post, latest AMD driver and so on ? Should be 17.4.4 I believe ?
    Brain Burst
    Yes, it is completely updated
    Can you see Oculus Home OK?

Brain Burst
    No, I can't. I can hear what I assume is the oculus home music, and when I get close to an edge I can see the border and barrier, but all I see when I get to the middle is black. Before, I see a time glass at the bottom right for a few seconds before the music starts, but I get no visual effects
    Brain Burst
    Once again, I can't thank you enough for the help
    Can you even try the repair option? Do you see the oculus home on your monitor ? If yes look in settings, also make sure you have allow unknown sources ticked.
    Brain Burst
    I am currently purchasing a DVI cable so that I can connect my monitor aswell, but I am streaming my PC to my laptop so I can see the screen, allowing me to unplug the monitor and use it for the Oculus Rift. I am able to see the Oculus home on the monitor, but the PC version just for mouse it seems. It is not a VR home screen or anything, but it is oculus home. I don't know about a repair option or where to find, but have uninstalled and re-installed all of the Oculus software and that hasn't worked
    Brain Burst
    Allowing unknown sources has not worked either

Brain Burst
    I have no idea what to do. I'd appreciate if anyone had any idea at what to attempt, I'm willing to give it a shot thanks
    OK in Oculus home, go to settings then devices then configure rift and run full setup again. Give that a go :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The software needs a monitor to work, and streaming or desktop sharing apps typically cause problems. If you connect Rift and a monitor to your computer directly, and don't use streaming, it will likely work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Yup as cyber says, wait for your DVI :)
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2017
    Ok. Thank you all so much for the help, will report back once DVI has been tested. I can already see that I'll love the Oculus expeerience because it has such a great community, thank you :)
    Brain Burst
    Ok, not sure whether this is a problem or not yet, but it very well might be. I decided to disable the screen desktop sharing app and I hovered my mouse over "Dead and Buried". I then unplugged the HDMI cable, and inserted the Oculus HDMI cable. I clicked the mouse to start the game, but the same issue occurred, even without the screen sharing app. I think this may be a problem, because seeing my monitor wouldn't really make a difference, would it? Thanks for all the help so far, I hope to have this problem resolved in the end. :s
    Brain Burst
    Please help, is this an issue or should I just wait for the DVI and see how that works?
    Try the dvi cable first before anything else.