New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Install Blocked - Antivirus

Juandissimo1Juandissimo1 Posts: 6
NerveGear
Hello 

Purchased my Rift yesterday but have not even removed it from the box yet as I cant run the setup program. Open up the Oculus Setup, click Lets go, agree to terms and conditions and then I am met with "Install Blocked - Your computer has antivirus software that has blocked Oculus from installing. Please disable this sofware and try again. If this issue persists, contact Oculus support"

So here I am. Disabling/uninstalling antivrus has done nothing to help. Nor has disabling windows firewalls. I tried to find a log as detailed - https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3#latest but this search just comes back with nothing.

Please can you advise. Needless to say, pretty disappointed at the moment.  

Thanks

Comments

• Juandissimo1Juandissimo1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I should add after trawling the forums a bit, I also scanned my system for malware that might be causing an issue and none was found.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,020 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    Silly question but have you tried uninstall of the antivirus or any firewall

Is just i had issues with my zonealarm blocking everything even when it was suppose to be disabled

Only an uninstall fixed this 
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your suggestion. Yes I've tried uninstalling Avast completely but I get the same error. Frustrating message to get when I don't even have antivirus installed! =/
    Yes it is sorry to hear this

More intelligent users will be along later also @cybereality

You can also open a support ticket although this will be longer

I really hope you get this fix soon
    NerveGear
    Yes thank you, so do I! Currently using my Sunday to do a fresh install of Windows to try and get things moving... Will update once this is complete in the hope someone from Oculus reads this..
    Yes the fresh install often clears odd errors

I suffer with this laggy stutter now and again so i have been putting off this myself

You will defo get a fix it sounds purely software related so i am really confident it will
    NerveGear
    So to update, I have now fresh installed windows. Completed all windows updates. NOT installed any anti virus, exact same issue when running oculus setup.

Need someone to help me address this ASAP please or I'll have to return it.. I am out of ideas.
  • sherpa25sherpa25 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    So to update, I have now fresh installed windows. Completed all windows updates. NOT installed any anti virus, exact same issue when running oculus setup.

Need someone to help me address this ASAP please or I'll have to return it.. I am out of ideas.
    Have you resolved it? First time setting up too and get the same message.  On Win10 and disabled AVG, Defender and Malware).
  • AlienMudcakeAlienMudcake Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Try right click setup file and chose install as administrator. Usualy this can be a showstopper for a lot of software installations.
  • sherpa25sherpa25 Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, run as aministrator already.
  • timckchantimckchan Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same issues here.  Having been trying to install in the last two days.  Still have problem.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Feel free to submit a support ticket. Thanks.
    https://tickets.oculus.com
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Thanks for replies all. Finally resolved it after reinstalling windows, updating every windwos update MANUALLY which took 2 bloody days..

Then I used a workaround for the error some others have had claiming updates were missing when they werent and finally it's working..

However I'm thinking about installing Windows 10 soon so I'll have to go through the whole mess again! Speak to ya'll then I'm sure!
  • RodierczRodiercz Posts: 22
    NerveGear
    I have same problem after fresh win 10 installation. 
    Must be something with Creator Update which created that there is one more elevated admin account in Windows. Even if you are admin there is still one more super admin.. im going to turn it on and try it :( 

Workaround
    Go to where you installed Oculus - mine is in c:\program files\  and then go \software\staging\  and there you can find your downloaded game and you can run it directly from there. It will work 100% just you will not see it in Oculus library.

• ThatTechGuyThatTechGuy Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    when doing a fresh install be sure to get the latest ISO from here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    doing this will cut down on how long it takes to download updates and make sure that you do not install with any errors
    AMD Ryzen 1800X | GYGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA GTX980 FTW |120GB SanDisk SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD | EVGA 850 GQ Power supply | Fractal Design Define S
  • KingGelbinKingGelbin Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    It is March 2018!!! I have owned my Oculus since October 2017 and everything has worked fine....UNTIL NOW!!! Now I can't install apps for the same reason as the other people on this thread. There needs to be a fix made available for this problem because it's not a problem with my computer, it's a problem with Oculus.

I can run the apps already installed, this is about NEW apps that are failing to install.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you have MalwareBytes specifically (and also McAfee and maybe others) they can block Oculus installs. They should be temporarily disabled so you can install.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • oculusoliviaoculusolivia Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have had the same problem. I have uninstalled McAfee and disabled all other antivirus software and still cannot load any games. I tried to uninstall/reinstall the Oculus software as directed by Oculus Support now not only can I not download any games but I also lost all of the games I did have.
  • PhoenecroPhoenecro Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Bullguard blocks the app for some reason on my Desktop pc but on the laptop its fine. Had problems when I needed to reinstall the software on windows 10. uninstalled BullGuard and then the software could install. after installing BullGuard again software keeps getting blocked. and can't seem to configure the firewall. adding it to the trusted program list does not work. antivirus is always up to date. and disabling it when installing a game and playing games is no option. this is just great.
  • MeamjustmeMeamjustme Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have the exact same thing. Uninstalling Bullguard enables the home software and installer. But when Bullguard is installed it blocks it completely. I'm gonna contact Bullguard about this. I think an update caused for this since i never had this problem. 
  • BanthanBanthan Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    It's August 2018 and I have just stumbled upon this thread.
    I have the same problem with the Rift and BullGuard.
    I cannot install games or updates, and cannot play online. My Friends list appears empty. 
    Interestingly though, everything works just fine if I play Rift games through Steam.
    Th Rift software works ok only if I disable my Antivirus.
    I opened a ticket with Oculus who told me it's a problem with the anti-virus software.
    I now have an on-going ticket with BullGuard.
    Did you find a resolution to this?

• JoltfoxJoltfox Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I disabled my firewall and antvirus nothing. Anyone know a fix?
  • bincvfxbincvfx Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    why is this a problem and why is there no published fix from Oculus  ... seriously 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    I advise against installing to the C: Drive but if you must then do use a NONE-OS FOLDER for the APP & Games (although both are ideally best suited to a 2nd Drive/Partition) else in future some Games won't Update due to not seeing both C++2013.
    Once an install goes tits up you must totally remove traces of Oculus using Regscanner…(free)
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update
    Once you Create an "Oculus" folder then do Share it in properties to your User Account or better as Everybody in case you need a new User Account in future! You may not get the Oculus Icon as it did before OR it may add it once Shared before installing.

• MeamjustmeMeamjustme Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I commented on this in august 2018. You can read it in this thread. 

I have had several issues with the rift in combination with Bullguard. As for blocking the installer. There is an option somewhere in the catacombs of the Bullguard settings that blocks/checks facebook networks. Oculus being part of that, it blocked the software of all connections. I opened a chat with a Bullguard assistant which was really fast and helpfull. 
  • DrPikaJuDrPikaJu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello there. Its June 30th 2019 and I do still have this issue. My Windows 10 isntallation is relatively fresh, windwos defender and every firewall is turned off. I did a repair through the setup, a reinstall with the setup and a pure completely clean install guided by the oculus support. None if that helped. I have a 400$ brick lying around and I am pretty pissed off because I spent the last complete saturday to fix this mess and nothing helped! I installed Microsoft C++ Rdeistribution packages from 2013 up to 2019, did like 3 installs of this sh*tty oculus software deactivated every stupid thing that could potentially block any connection, updated every driver and so on. If someone knows any help please help me, else i will not consider buying anything from Oculus ever again.
  • kiwithedalkiwithedal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    just shows that zuckerberg turned something into shit again i guess
  • ohGamer65ohGamer65 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    to fix this just go to the oculus files and click on the setup oculus and just repair the files
  • acefailureacefailure Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    ohGamer65 said:
    to fix this just go to the oculus files and click on the setup oculus and just repair the files
    Thanks, now I have redownload the entire oculus software... This is great.