New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Fistful of Colors Sketchbook

Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
Art3mis
For this one I followed the paint export tutorial from SouthernGFX to get the texture out of Medium and create some render passes.
Really having fun with Medium! I'm thinking of doing a full scene soon - but maybe its better to do some more test sketches first :)

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    Holy crap, dude, you've just dived into Medium at expert level!

For what it's worth Medium gives a pretty good UV unwrap and albedo/normal bake with little or no arsing around, right up to 8k textures. IIRC @southerngfx instructions were prior to the update that allowed this. I've had pretty good results blasting them up to sketchfab at about 40-50kpoly or into blender at a bit higher. 
  • Fistful_of_ColorsFistful_of_Colors Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Oh - great - I'll try that instead :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,006 Power Poster
    That is really awesome. It kind of makes me want to see how the Diablo Necromancer would look sculpted in Medium. I was always a fan of the bone armor set and Bone based magic skills.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 207 Poster of the Week
    Excellent intro sculpt dude , keep'em coming....
    Art3mis
    Thank you guys.. I'm trying out some stamp work and will try to get some hardsurface in the next one :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @Zenbane damn it now I wanna play Diablo 2 again.

@Fistful_of_Colors Looking forward to what you do next, building up a strong stamp library really helps with hardsurface. :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @Fistful_of_Colors woah that looks amazing!
    Yeah I found the same problems with my hard surface stuff, getting an object large enough with high res is pretty hard, not to mention if you have symmetry on. Trying to keep straight lines can be hard too, I find the best way for now is to start a new layer, using the sphere + line tool I draw out straight lines as guidelines. :)
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 486 Poster of the Week
    edited July 2017
    If your making stamps - I have found keeping the edge thickness ample and the scale in meters from whichever app your using. I did some back and forth with maya and Zbrush to medium for the spitfire engines and other assets. I really wish medium had a lockdown to center just like Tiltbrush import. 
    edited July 2017
    Personally I thought the scene was looking killer but just not very well lit but if you're hating it then ditch it and go have fun I'd say. There's no rule saying that you can't pick it back up in a couple of months time and do some more.

The screenshots from Medium have nowhere near the dynamic range of the view ingame. It's pretty much a photoshop job every time for me, with at least a levels adjustment and usually a lot more. Multi-pass lighting as par for the course.

• MartinityMartinity Posts: 139 Poster of the Week
    Awesome stuff in this thread! And a fellow Dane too.. keep up the good work :-)
    Art3mis
    Thanks guys - I'm just insanely stoked right now over the possibilities.. The image above was done in 3 nights after tucking the little one in.. I think with a little more practice - a similar image could be done in a few hours.. it kind of blows my mind.. Also - after the recent update, the saving and exporting times are so quick - that exporting a modelpiece and checking it in the composition is pretty much instant now.. For me personally, thats as big of a game changer as the move tool was!
    Art3mis
    Oh - and yeah: hej Martin - hyggeligt :)
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166 Poster of the Week
    Wow, top notch work! What did you use to do the grey base render?
    Art3mis
    Keyshot with a standard material :)
    Dude killing it! And, yeah, +1 on move shapes. 
    Art3mis
    Hey guys,

I've joined the "Beneath the waves" concept challenge at Artstation in the Character/Creature Design category.
    You can follow my submission as it develops here: 

https://www.artstation.com/contests/beneath-the-waves/challenges/33/submissions/24785?sorting=latest

But I will also post some progress here - as all of the design work apart from initial sketches will be done in Medium :)
    Art3mis
    Here are some of the first quick sketches done in Medium, some of these are based off of quick notepad sketches, but most of them are just brainstorming shapes and ideas directly in Medium. Works great when just working with the sphere shape in new layer at two steps of lowered resolution :)

Wicked. Looking forward to watching this develop! 
    Art3mis
    Took the day off to make sure I get far enough to feel confident about the deadline (I joined rather late)..

Took on characters today.. Have to do 5 humanoid characters and 5 creatures in total. Will also post some video of the sculpting process :)

Also laid the base for one more creature.

Art3mis
    Video of the Whale City creature sketching:

Jesus dude, you don't muck about do you? That's at least a months worth of work for me in two freaking days!
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    This is so rad, love seeing the process start to finish. Good luck!
    Art3mis
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Jesus dude, you don't muck about do you? That's at least a months worth of work for me in two freaking days!
    Quite the opposite I think.. Most of these are no more that low res sketches - and a lot of time is saved by the fact that I'm doingt concepts - so no  painting work in Medium will be required - everything 3d will be used for the finishing overpaint process. You are still the undisputed output king of these forum lands, P3nT ;)