Oculus Rift price slashed again amid concerns over sales - Mainstream Media Spells Oculus DOOM — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift price slashed again amid concerns over sales - Mainstream Media Spells Oculus DOOM

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,668 Valuable Player
edited July 2017 in General

Oculus Rift price slashed again amid concerns over sales - SKY NEWS

I'll just post some quotes from the article and highlight some key points with my opinion on this misleading reporting. It also doesn't sound very impartial if you ask me. Some very misinformed statements. You can take that as you will, but I think SKY News is quite a highly visible news outlet which will be giving the wrong impression to a lot of people.

"Facebook has slashed the price of its Oculus Rift headset and motion controllers again, as the gaming market continues to show signs of hesitation in embracing the VR system."

This is a comment focusing on Oculus Rift but the hesitation is something which isn't unique to Oculus/Facebook but Sony, HTC and everyone else in the market. However, the Oculus designed Gear VR happens to have some healthy market penetration which isn't mentioned here. The use of the word "again" is cleverly used to suggest a company struggling to sell their product. Plus as Zenbane always points out VR isn't just about the gaming market.

"It is the second time this year Oculus' price has been reduced. In March the bundle's price was slashed by £140."
Again, this seems to suggest Oculus struggling to sell the product with another price cut only months earlier. It's not a price cut though it's actually a Summer promotion event. Oculus aren't the first company to offer a SALE.
"Before the discounts, the headset, which offers a 360-degree panoramic view, was described as "obscenely cheap" by its founder, Palmer Luckey."

This comment is a snide dig at Oculus  rather than taking the SALE at face value. Shameful quoting there and ignoring the natural progressive of electronics generally becoming cheaper over time. The Rift does much more than simply "offer a 360-degree panoramic view". Codswallop. Good job in simplifying what VR actually is.

"But unlike consoles, the Rift cannot be used by itself - it requires a powerful gaming computer, which could set consumers back more than £1,000."
Very misleading. It can be read two ways. You will need to spend an additional £1000 on a PC to run the Rift, or the combined £399 on Rift and £600 on PC. It reads more like the former though doesn't it.
"Mr Rubin also attempted to placate fears that the current model of the Rift would be quickly made redundant by the development of a new, potentially lighter and cheaper model."
Speculative nonsense, again undermining the SALE news here. There is no evidence to suggest a revision  is to be released anytime this year.

"The relatively slow speed at which Oculus has managed to ship units will not have delighted its parent company Facebook, which acquired the company for $2bn in 2014."

Conjecture. There is no evidence to support this claim is there? This is a purely speculative comment.

"At the time Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg said that the medium would "become a part of daily life for billions of people".
However that has not happened - and it is unclear if that is because of high prices, something inherent in the technology or another reason.
A naive representation to say the least. Does SKY news expect billions to be sold in a few years. A bit of research would show that this was an end goal of Zuckerberg and not something that will happen in year 1 or 2 of a product launch.

Just adding salt into the wound to discredit Oculus with this unrelated comment. Again, to suggest a troubled company.

So folks this is how mainstream media is reporting a Summer Sale for the Oculus Rift and if you Google other articles there's a lot of negative spin being applied to this news. The SKY article though is not very impartial reporting and reading into the sale with pure speculation as to why Oculus are raising awareness of its product. No mention that it's possible Oculus has reduced the production costs, rather Oculus is struggling to penetrate its product into the market. No mention of its competitors either who are also in the same boat but charging more money. 

"Infamy, Infamy, they have got it in for me." 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    edited July 2017

Well, misleading or not. VR adoption is still small, I think this is a fact.

With mobile VR probably running a bit better as people always tend to buy some funny accesoirs for their beloved smart phones.

I also cannot imagine the HTC Vive selling in great numbers. Basend on my own impressions, I'd say it sells worse than rift but that is a speculation on my side.

But PC gaming in general and PC-VR in particular ist just not a wide spread hobby.

When people are young and active gamers, they're unable to spend 1000+ bucks on a gfx card alone. When they grow up, the money becomes less of a problem, but they lose time and interest.

Also since many games are crossplatform nowadays the advantages of PC gaming diminish:

Back in the old days, were games could be bought, copied and played offline, the PC gamer was guaranteed with the best, greatest and cheapest game library ever. Also much more games and genres were just better or even exclusive on PC.

Thinking about it, weren't it for me being a flightsim enthusiast, I'd probably never invested in a powerful gaming PC and I am not sure the Rift alone would have been enough of a reason for me. Well... maybe yes, but then again I am a fan and a follower of VR since the 90s so not quite the causual Joe from the street :-)

I think those price cuts are important to get people into it to just try the technology without hurting their wallet too much.

Edit:

And I might add - the technology really is in it's childhood. If we are honest, there is still a lot of room for improvement with regards to both quality and comfort of the experiences. Really not easy to get non-nerdy people into it right now. In fact, I know a lot of people generally interested in the tech, some even having tried public demos, but none of them making the step of buying a headset.

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 803
    3Jane

Well, misleading or not. VR adoption is still small, I think this is a fact

Well, whether VR adoption is still small or not, it's misleading and uninformed.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,914 Valuable Player
    yep utter drivel article up there (down there) with some of the crud i have read on Forbes.

I accept we will always have bias but ffs at least attempt to offer some impartiality esp if it is your job. Sadly this clickbait gutter press mentality seems to be everywhere now.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,668 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Yeah this part here:
    "But unlike consoles, the Rift cannot be used by itself - it requires a powerful gaming computer, which could set consumers back more than £1,000."

PlayStation VR doesn't work by itself either... it needs the damn PlayStation Console which starts as low as $300 but can be upwards of $500. 
    Erm on reflection (oh and thanks for pointing that out btw), his clusterfuck of a comment  looks like comparing a VR headset with a games console not with the PSVR like you're suggesting which makes it even more laughable. In fact, the more I read his comment the increasingly baffled I become why he made the comparison. So, consoles (handhelds aside) work now without a TV? Perhaps they are completely autonomous as well.  It's possible he's seen a Nintendo Switch and believes this is what all consoles are like therefore VR headsets need to be like the Switch (Yeh, that must be it). 

But we shouldn't laugh though should we because this ill-informed tripe is damaging to VR as a whole. Spreading lies and misinformation to people who might have shown some interest in VR.  I didn't have the patience or will power to check SKY's tech credentials, but to be fair I didn't need to really. It was blindingly obvious SKY has no clue what they are talking about here. 

So much for mainstream VR adoption then if this is all they have to go by (that was in reference to my other thread).

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,290 Valuable Player
    Shadowmask72 said:

But we shouldn't laugh though should we because this ill-informed tripe is damaging to VR as a whole. Spreading lies and misinformation to people who might have shown some interest in VR. 

Agreed, and that's is why these types of conversations are good to have openly. Right now if we search for the headline of this article, this very thread appears as a top search result.

Our Metadata > Sky News Metadata

<3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    urgggh

i forget,

every time something good happens, we get this kind of article
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    So the artical is complaining about a limited time SALE?
    Thats like me complaining about getting Steam Sales three times a year.
    Bogus journlism at its best.
    WAAAGH!
    Shadowmask72 said:
    But unlike TVs with built in tuners, the Rift as a display device cannot be used by itself - it requires a reasonably competent computer, which could cost consumers up to £1,000 for a high end system or under £400 for a budget system if purchasing a new PC rather than upgrading an existing system.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,927 Valuable Player
    The quality of journalism during the last 20 years or so has gone right down the toilet unfortunately and it wasn't great 20 years ago either lol :open_mouth:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    vannagirl said:
    urgggh

i forget,

Nail on the head vannagirl.  What this shows is an agenda.  

The article was either "VR for the Masses, Hoorah" or "VR is failing" and Sky News (a hugely derided news outlet here in the UK, only a smidgen better than the BBC) chose the latter.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    More like Facebook is finally getting serious about kickstarting VR : I don't know what a good starting price is, but 2016's ~800$ wasn't it. The only reason I purchased it at that price is because I spent ~5 years waiting (and financially preparing) for it.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    Or a Vive owner, who secretly reads the Oculus forum (in between using Revive to play his fave Oculus Home games), winding up the Oculus community - knowing this would get picked up and linked to in this forum.

btw - there is no such thing as journalism these days. Only sensationalism.

• CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    This article is such utter crap.

I get that you feel the need to condescend and misrepresent literally everything, but please just stay the hell away from my favorite hobby, which also happens to be an important technology that is in every way a part of the future of all media.

vannagirl said:
    urgggh

i forget,

Nail on the head vannagirl.  What this shows is an agenda.  

The article was either "VR for the Masses, Hoorah" or "VR is failing" and Sky News (a hugely derided news outlet here in the UK, only a smidgen better than the BBC) chose the latter.
    yes

this hate train became boring in back in 2014

Zenbane said:
    Shadowmask72 said:
    But unlike TVs with built in tuners, the Rift as a display device cannot be used by itself - it requires a reasonably competent computer, which could cost consumers up to £1,000 for a high end system or under £400 for a budget system if purchasing a new PC rather than upgrading an existing system.

my brother recent tv was over 2.5k

what of the other so expensive consumer products

ohh ofc, facebook does not make tvs :/
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    vannagirl said:
    Zenbane said:
    Shadowmask72 said:

my brother recent tv was over 2.5k

what of the other so expensive consumer products

ohh ofc, facebook does not make tvs :/
    Right? Homeowners spend far more on things they would use far less than a VR capable PC... riding lawnmowers, top of the line grills, hot tubs, pools, stereo equipment...the list goes on.

It's not the price, it's people writing articles scaring away consumers and would-be adopters.
  • madamluckmadamluck Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Well I saw some articles putting oculus is bad lighting because why drop the price so low? Must have problems! So they have their own personal opinions on why... and we all know opinions are like a**holes, everyone has them! And they all stink! Lol
    But from other forums I've seen online , this sale is a HUGE hit! People who were on the fence are no longer. Even some people who wanted the vive have caved and got a rift instead. I bought mine a few months ago and while the price drop has me a little salty at the same time I never regretted paying the price I did.. it was worth the amount I spent and with the price drop I think people are crazy if they don't get it now! 
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,578
    Project 2501
    It's all about price point. When you can get full wireless standalone VR for $300, that's when you'll see mass adoption. 

As it is now, Oculus is selling to the high end PC market which is niche. 

I don't care. I got my CV1 and will be playing flight sims and racing sims until the rest of the world catches up. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    edited July 2017
    Oculus Doom == BS. It's long known that high-end VR, like Oculus or the Vive will have a slow start and that the initial wave of VR will happen in the mobile sector. This is nothing new.

Low prices so that people can afford actual VR (and not some mobile gimmicky BS) is the BEST thing that could happen to VR!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,364 Volunteer Moderator
    CrashFu said:
    Oculus Rift not $300 = DOOMED. Needs to cost less, now!

Oculus Rift lowers price to $600 (bundle) = Why does it cost less now!? It must be DOOMED.  But also it still costs too much, so DOUBLE DOOMED.

Oculus Rift goes on sale for $400 (bundle) = OMG SO DOOMED!

There's just no pleasing some people.

Also, some people really shouldn't be working in Tech Journalism.
    Plus we'll get all the people complaining that the price drop isn't fair because they paid more in the past, just like we did when the touch went cheaper.

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    edited July 2017
    >>
    Mark Zuckerberg said that the medium would "become a part of daily life for billions of people".

This is the key here, folks! Zuckerberg KNEW exactly why it was worth $2b+ to him buying Oculus.
    Mind you: facebook <--- THE biggest site on earth with 2b users and soon 3b...and it is this, SOCIAL, among other things, where VR *will* make its greatest impact and where it will become mainstream. NOT SO MUCH GAMES. And Zuck knows this! He knows the potential VR has, not unlike Palmer. The two are, believe it or not, very much the same with their enthusiasm and "vision" for VR.

It is not THIS time yet, however. VR is still "too niche" right now that fb would pump lots of money and work into R&D of a VR facebook. It is still too early for this to do this on a grand scale. This only makes sense once many, many more people have VR. And offering VR as cheap as possible is one way to get there.

I think that Zuckerberg knows that in 5, 7, 10 years....no person on Earth will go on a lame "website" like facebook anymore where their family and friends are. It is a joke compared to the potential VR has. You and I, we have seen it, conferences, meetings, music events, theatre, art galleries etc..in VR. The early adopters can literally "feel" the potential which is there today already..but it's still something "alien" for the average person. Granny is maybe already ordering plane tickets for her next FL vacation "on the internet", but we're still not at the point where Granny "goes into VR" to see her grand children who may be on the other side of the planet. But we're getting there. Zuck knows it will be happening because he's no dummy.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,364 Volunteer Moderator
    Slashdot has a story titled "The Oculus Rift Still Isn't Selling, In a Worrying Sign For VR".

That's based on a story from MIT Technology Review which starts with:
    "Another Price Slash Suggests the Oculus Rift Is Dead in the Water
    Facebook hopes that it can finally sell the thing if it undercuts its cheapest rival."

They also say:
    "Jason Rubin, vice president for content at Oculus, tells Reuters that the reduction isn’t a sign of weak product sales, but rather a decision to give the headset more mass market appeal now that more games are available.
    Don’t believe it: this is the latest in a string of bad news for the firm, which has also shut down its nascent film studio, shuttered in-store demo stations of its hardware, and stumped up $250 million as part of a painful intellectual property lawsuit in the last six months."

Good going Slashdot.

Here are some other interesting reads:

When Was The Exact Day Slashdot Jumped The Shark?
    http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/post/when_was_the_exact_day_slashdo.html

User Backlash to Slashdot.org Beta
    https://www.reddit.com/r/socialmedia/comments/1x77zt/user_backlash_to_slashdotorg_beta/

Slashdot Sucks
    https://everything2.com/title/Slashdot+Sucks

Why Slashdot Sucks
    http://www.xdroop.com/content/1010311095.html
    But if there's one thing I have no tolerance for, it's the geek phenomenon known as slashdot.org, the sorriest case for content on the web I've ever seen pawned off and gleefully accepted by the masses.

When I look at magazines, newspapers, or any other source of information, I judge them on three items: usefulness/uniqueness of content, quality of that content, and the depth of coverage regarding that content.

Slashdot has none of these things. And yet people try to convince me that the people who run that website are working hard at it.

• GizardpukeGizardpuke Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    whats going on with mobiles isnt VR, its AR, they are rather different. 
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,883
    Project 2501
    Facebook knew this was a long term investment. I believe high end vr will be sustainable but struggle along for a time. The breakthrough will probably be with the next generation. I'm going to enjoy being a pioneer. As far as the news, there are plenty of morons spewing misinformation. There are also many competent articles out there. People that don't like vr will report it is bad even if it's the same fov and visuals  of the human eye.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    vannagirl said:
    urgggh

i forget,

the problem is that people are wired to be pessimistic and look for the bad thing all the time... our brains are wired to look for things that may eat us (tigers in the grass)... it's why we see "SNAKE" when we see a rope in the grass - our brains look for the worst possible result of a pattern match, so we can jump out of the way of the pointy/nasty things.

either that or people are just @rsehats and we should throw rocks at them :tongue:
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    kzintzi said:
    vannagirl said:
    urgggh

i forget,

the problem is that people are wired to be pessimistic and look for the bad thing all the time... our brains are wired to look for things that may eat us (tigers in the grass)... it's why we see "SNAKE" when we see a rope in the grass - our brains look for the worst possible result of a pattern match, so we can jump out of the way of the pointy/nasty things.

either that or people are just @rsehats and we should throw rocks at them :tongue:
    Haha

Yes i like idea no2 most but i hear you,

kinda sad the spin that is put on everything nowdays