New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

What is the Real Reason Behind the Oculus Summer Promotion Price Cut?

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player
edited July 11 in General
The Oculus Summer promotion came as a surprise for many, but reading between the lines what is a real  reason for this action right now? Is there something else going on behind the scenes? Speculation and conspiracy theories welcome.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

What is the Real Reason Behind the Oculus Summer Promotion Price Cut? 131 votes

Oculus are leveraging ahead of Windows Mixed Reality headsets which launch at $399
3% 4 votes
Oculus are shifting inventory ahead of generation 2 announcements
8% 11 votes
Oculus sales are low, this is a drive to boost sales
20% 27 votes
Oculus are selling at a loss with the hope to gain from increased software sales
10% 14 votes
Oculus are raising awareness of their product to get more people into their VR ecosystem
23% 31 votes
All of the above
26% 35 votes
Facebook will phase out the Oculus brand and rename it Facebook VR
3% 4 votes
Other (please elaborate in the comments)
3% 5 votes

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 3,654 Valuable Player
    To drag more people in I reckon. Makes sense.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player
    There might be a little bit of truth behind all the selections I posted with the exception of Facebook ditching the Oculus brand which seems a bit of a long shot although not entirely impossible.  BTW, the choices are just some of the ideas I've seen banded about from various discussions I've been reading.

It's a bit tough to choose just one though hence why I added the option all of the above. This Fall (Autumn for us Brits) is going to be interesting when Acer, HP, DELL windows mixed reality headsets release starting at around $399+  (including controllers) making it very hard for HTC and to a lesser degree Oculus to maintain their current pricing model even if these cheaper new additions aren't as good. So if I had to choose one I would lean towards Oculus leveraging themselves ahead of the game. Price cut now, raise the price back to normal, then lower it again when the other headsets release.

• RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,577 Valuable Player
    edited July 11
    Could be anything of what you listed. And therefore it is very reasonable to do the price cut.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Im happy i purchased mine today but now i just need to buy a freaking displayport to hdmi adapter. Im happy about being apart of gen 1 and seeing what gen 2 can then offer!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,467 Poster of the Week
    i voted get more people on oculus eco system but i think it could be a little bit of  much of the above as well  EXCEPT i do not think it is to make way for CV2

and as for branding to replace oculus with facebook vr..... i doubt it, but its possible.. but then there is no need to have a price cut for that so imo company branding is little to do with the price of the hmd
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 2,824
    Wintermute

Well observed as always -Shadowmask72, have to agree with many of the points and also the summation of the issues facing OVR.

Though captured in your points, my view is more that this move is in part to send a message out there against competition (HTC, MS, etc.,), and to prove a point to the FB new team that the direction OVR previous team selected is viable, given a little love.

I wonder how much of this is a "make-or-break" position - will be interesting to see how this is positioned at OC4? And that brings me to what I feel is a greater issue with the current OVR structure; that of “communication”.

Since that abortive sub-reddit AMA back in 2015, OVR has been incredibly quiet over statements regarding their positioning, future plans and general communication with the community. I understand that they favor giving interviews that we then have to gleam the detail from, but this just breeds confusion (reflected in recent articles about the company).

I feel that the PR machine within the operation has taken a serious hit from the entrenched attitude of previous executives and has yet to rebound, or just restructure. Placing all your eggs in a few baskets of interviews and favored sources is dangerous. 

I just wonder if this temporary price drop could have been headlined and promoted better, rather than allowing the negative press to accompany what is a really impressive price drop. Managing the message would help when the price springs back to the normal amount in a short period of time!

Back to your point that this move could be part of a rebranding of the OVR operation (possibly under FBVR) - I begin to wonder if this is not something starting to happen organically already. Will we see Samsung not including OVR in the promotion for the new standalone GVR2? Or will we see an increase use of the Facebook VR term, to counter MS’s Mixed Reality, or Googles Daydream brand?

Seriously; well done Oculus on the price drop, I hope it has the intended impact on your business… whatever that needed to be.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • RonsonPLRonsonPL Posts: 1,114
    Trinity
    Poll is not good, sorry to say that.
    Two (almost three) options is what I wanted to check.

My guess: Sales are bad, Oculus wants software devs to get more interested and more gamers interested in VR. And of course, even if they sell at no profit (I don't really think it's a loss, at least not in Europe with 450€ (with tax), they obviosly know that noone will buy the Rift to never buy anything software from Oculus Store in the future.

Also, I think something might be additionally influencing this. Maybe Valve planning to replace Vive with wireless model at same price and dropping the price of cable version? Not very likely (too soon, I guess) but who knows.
    It will be more clear when we see the retail price after the promo ends.

Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore.
    Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash.
    Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.
    Wintermute
    RonsonPL said:
    Also, I think something might be additionally influencing this. Maybe Valve planning to replace Vive with wireless model at same price and dropping the price of cable version?

Not such a stupid prediction, that rumor has been getting a lot of traction after the reveal of the second wireless Vive system at the China show. I wonder what that would do to the market, especially with Samsung's standalone system getting prepped?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    i think it could be the MS HMDs also having an effect. its all good tho. so long as its decent quality VR, then the more pressure to keep them "honest" with their pricing can only help us.

that acer HMD looks pretty tidy imo

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    To sell all of their stock of Rift and Touch before ZeniMax wins their court case and Oculus can't sell the Rift anymore ;)
    To sell all of their stock of Rift and Touch before ZeniMax wins their court case and Oculus can't sell the Rift anymore ;)
    if that turned out to be true... i got that prediction in at least 24 hrs before you :p ;)
  • FlakMagnetFlakMagnet Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    if that turned out to be true... i got that prediction in at least 24 hrs before you :p ;)
    Damn! :blush:
    Wintermute
    edited July 11
    Just had a chance to handle the Acer system - still some issues, but it gives the Rift a good run for "its money"! That AR capability and insideout tracking is going to be a important aspect of its design.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,372 Valuable Player
    Other. Both the Rift (after its previous price cut earlier this year) and the Vive must both be pretty close to selling 1m units. This is a push from Oculus to get there first.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    kevinw729 said:
    Just had a chance to handle the Acer system - still some issues, but it gives the Rift a good run for "its money"! That AR capability and insideout tracking is going to be a important aspect of its design.
    how were the motion controllers? my understanding is the HMD needs to be able to "see" the controllers at all times to track. was this an issue?

thanks
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,261 Poster of the Week
    edited July 11
    Got some misgivings about the upcoming (low tier) MS HMDs. Higher res yes, but LCD.. meh. And inside out tracking that may or may not have issues (esp with controllers which are vital to me and always were)? we'll see. Nice ergonomics and pricing though (better than rift or vive on ergo - sold my vive mainly due to bad ergonomics but not only that but pricing too). Also not sure on who they are pushing it to, it seems very 'middle ground' focussed, not gamer focussed. I'm sure the next wave of MS stuff will be great though (GEN 2) but cost more.

Been out in the wilderness waiting for GEN 2, sold my PSVR too (pretty cool but far from vive or rift tracking + can't dev on it).

Which leads me back to my first VR Love.. Oculus. Oh what have you done? $400? I'll have me some of that, it's almost devkit price for proper input + a decent HMD, if/when GEN 2 vive or LG pop up, depending on spec and price, I can always sell the rift on (as I have with Vive, PSVR and DK2). 

Good move for VR, HTC being very complacent and Valve not urgent enough in pushing = stagnating VR market. This price cut has lit a fire under nay-sayer's asses, people seem to be going crazy for it all over the net now. For the good of all decent (PC) VR I'll take that as a win for VR regardless of if it's valve, ms, facebook... 

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    System: 8700k O/C 4.9ghz ACT awaiting Volta or at least Pascal Refresh!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    I think I have it.

The real reason for this Oculus Sale:
    To sell more units.

Dayum that lightbulb just went off.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 983 Poster of the Week
    edited July 11
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,456 Poster of the Week
    has anyone seen Zenbane and Zuckerberg on this forum at the same time?

gets you thinking yes
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    edited July 11
    kevinw729 said:

I just wonder if this temporary price drop could have been headlined and promoted better, rather than allowing the negative press to accompany what is a really impressive price drop. Managing the message would help when the price springs back to the normal amount in a short period of time!

You make a good point here. The fact that they didn't come out ahead of the price drop with some promotional material - hell even a commercial - is sort of silly. 

Having to tell people about the sale instead of the reverse is a slight bit disconcerting.

It does make it look more like a move of desperation than one of confidence, although I suspect it's actually the latter. 

If OVR doesn't add the spin then you can be certain that someone else will!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,456 Poster of the Week
    i kind of agree but social networking is where its at for moving messages and i have also seen the message spread all over gaming sites since yesterday

i do not watch tv though as such so unsure if they are or not, but i wonder how much that costs vs the message
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Oculus released this trailer.

• BoxDroppingManApeBoxDroppingManApe Posts: 59 Poster of the Week

Other: "So Shadowmask72 will go into a panic over whether the sky is falling."

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    dburne said:
    To sell more units.
    It seems to be working. Reddit is full of posts from new users getting going with the Rift, freaking out about how long shipping will take, and trying to find stock as Amazon and Best Buy sell out their inventory. We're also seeing a higher volume of "My order got cancelled" threads here than we've had since the pre-order days.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • dburnedburne Posts: 785
    3Jane
    nalex66 said:
    dburne said:
    To sell more units.
    It seems to be working. Reddit is full of posts from new users getting going with the Rift, freaking out about how long shipping will take, and trying to find stock as Amazon and Best Buy sell out their inventory. We're also seeing a higher volume of "My order got cancelled" threads here than we've had since the pre-order days.

Yeah I have been spreading the word on a couple of the flight sim forums I frequent, I know some of them have taken advantage of this as well.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
    Wintermute
    how were the motion controllers? my understanding is the HMD needs to be able to "see" the controllers at all times to track. was this an issue?

Ocularity is one of the issues I was alluding too. I do not want to be too harsh on them as I was not sure of the production state of the system presented. There is also an issue with performance on certain rigs - but again not sure if that is the infamous Win10VR problem or something else. I see a lot of people riding Daydream hard for the same failing, but at least they have the mobileVR excuse.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Rudolphus_Rudolphus_ Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think this prise cut can also mean that Acer and LG and other brands will opt for a slightly better screen end of the year but not much and in 2019 they will come with better hardware
    Wintermute
    Sharpfish said:
    Nice ergonomics and pricing though (better than rift or vive on ergo - sold my vive mainly due to bad ergonomics but not only that but pricing too). Also not sure on who they are pushing it to, it seems very 'middle ground' focussed, not gamer focussed. I'm sure the next wave of MS stuff will be great though (GEN 2) but cost more.

I was surprised by MS’s plans – looking at a joined-up AR / VR approach with their Mixed Reality brand focus. Seeing the Hololens working in unison with a VR headset offered a level of social engagement in a synthetic environment that no other platform had achieved (no matter my misgivings over HL). I was surprise how many OVR employees had jumped to join the Redmond campus – lot of interesting behind the scene stories floating around about their time at Oculus, and why they jumped.

Regarding the HTC complacency comment – I think that is a little harsh, just because they cannot drop their price for a two-week promotion is not the same as the complacency that can be adequality laid at the feet of Valve. I think HTC have focused on a long-term view, showing their focus on untethered as the next production run, while we have to wait for OVR to throw any bones at OC4.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited July 11

Other: "So Shadowmask72 will go into a panic over whether the sky is falling."

Or rather Cybereality decided not to send Mark (Zenbane) to the naughty corner again (so we could resume awesome discussions in his absence)  and the fact he's been behaving not to get himself moved there, what's left  to talk about here aside from being all gooey over a sale which most of us already have the item that's on sale anyway? :smirk: