New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Medium 1.2 Update and Release Notes!

naomi.cornmannaomi.cornman Posts: 74 Oculus Staff
edited October 19 in Oculus Medium

Welcome to the “Summer of Move” Oculus Medium update!

You’ve asked and we’ve listened! This release brings the most requested feature from professional artists: the Move tool, which gives you the ability to reproportion and repose your sculpt.  Studio Share lets you sculpt live together in VR with a friend. Manipulators let you precisely position and adjust objects in your scene, and Reference Meshes let you import your own 3D models into Medium. 

Happy sculpting! 

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,414 Power Poster
    Surface constraint on non-active layers!!?? AWESOME!!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    FrozenPea said:
    SO MANY GOOD THING MY BRAIN CAN'T HANDLE THIS
    I already freaked about the Move tool, Studio Share, and Manipulators in my own thread, but the surface constraint across all layers was new to me!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • LewisPLewisP Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Damn, thats a good update!
  • MartinityMartinity Posts: 139 Poster of the Week
    Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! 
  • BhorBhor Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is amazing! Can't wait to try all these new goodies
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,089 Poster of the Week
    This makes large update look like a bugfix!! Medium team - you are legends!
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 646
    Neo
    Can't wait to try the move tool and everything else tonight. :)
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,421 Valuable Player
    Now I've calmed down a bit I have a few question about Studio Share  :p 

How much bandwidth does it actually use roughly?

Does it load in the full model/layers etc of the other person or is there some magic happening here?

If you are both working on large sculpts will you notice a big impact on performance and the RAM usage? :)
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 313 Oculus Staff
    FrozenPea said:
    Now I've calmed down a bit I have a few question about Studio Share  :p 

How much bandwidth does it actually use roughly?

Does it load in the full model/layers etc of the other person or is there some magic happening here?

If you are both working on large sculpts will you notice a big impact on performance and the RAM usage? :)
    Best way to think of it is live streaming a recording. So any affect working while having a recording playing would have, will be similar, just over your network.
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 407 Poster of the Week
    Does this mean we can have medium sculpting battles?! Next challenge?  :p
    FrozenPea said:
    That would be pretty damn cool, actually!
    FrozenPea said:
    As long as you guys set up a detached video pane and record it! 
  • pieromanpieroman Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited July 13
    Just tried it out, wow, this is way more than I expected in a single update! Thanks you, medium team.
    The move tool is impressive and looks like it was not a small feat to implement (seems as if the view deformation is on the polygons first, and that the volume gets updated at the end), but the other things are fantastic as well. A few points and of early feedback:

- the new way to set tool size with thumbstick press is a life saver: it was infuriating before, it's perfect now
    - surface constrains on separate layers allow cool effects and might help for detail work and adding features (hair, scales, etc). From what I remember it's not possible to set constrain to other layers only though which could make this even more useful.
    - palettes import is very useful, especially since I have a hard time with the picker, and maybe I will be able to make anatomy progress with the polygon models!
    - advance move tools are great for accuracy, but are definitely not easy to use. There are a lot of successive choices and options for the layer settings now, and some stuff is not the most intuitive (moving the layer vs its origin for example). A kind of combined gizmo (translation, rotation, scale) could maybe help and keep amount of sub menus down. Oh and no non-uniform scaling :'( 
    Totally gonna do this, Medium Quick Draw Challenge!

I'll start a new thread
    So I tried some of the new features, very nice! Love the Move tool and using surface constraints across layers.

I noticed something about the Studio Share menu, though--it seems to be limited to 25 friend slots. I have over 100 people on my Oculus friends list, so I can only see people up to the mid F's. How do I send an invitation to FrozenPea or P3nT4gR4m?

It sorts the friends who are online to the top of the list, which is nice, although it doesn't show any indication of online status--I can just tell because of the discontinuity of the alphabetical sorting.

It would be great if the list could be unlimited in length, and a clear online status indicator like the Home friends list shows would be helpful too.
  • fletcherkildrenfletcherkildren Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Wow - was just thinking a 'grab' tool like Sculptris has would be awesome - and y'all go and add it! Hmmm... the 'crease' tool Sculptris has is pretty cool too...
    Negative inflate with trigger falloff will do the same thing - as well as negative surface sphere stamp and trigger. Crease brush two ways :) 
  • ClosetSculptClosetSculpt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 14
    The new upgrade is awesome, and I love the move tool!
  • SamuelABSamuelAB Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Great! Where are the instructions for importing?
    nalex66 said:
    I noticed something about the Studio Share menu, though--it seems to be limited to 25 friend slots. 
    Oof, our bad. We'll fix this ASAP.
  • SamuelABSamuelAB Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    what are the imports units? My import came in super small.

Also, the drawing moves separately from the imported model. I have no ideal on how to move the imported model or rescale it. Are there instructions anywhere?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,089 Poster of the Week
    SamuelAB said:
    what are the imports units? My import came in super small.

Also, the drawing moves separately from the imported model. I have no ideal on how to move the imported model or rescale it. Are there instructions anywhere?
    When you're in mesh mode highlight your mesh and press the green gear button. This will bring up a menu where you can click "move with sculpt" or words to that effect
    I've noticed a few weird things from playing around tonight, since the update I've been getting this error:

Also the lathe tool feels weird to move around?
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 646
    Neo
    I have the same error with the FIGMOD project.
    Medium is so powerful now .. I'm just in awe at its ability !! 
  • FurdFurd Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Studio Sharing is great! I did some experimentation with it earlier tonight an encountered a few crashes/issues.

I attempted to load a sculpt with reference images. This seemed to cause me to freeze from the hosts perspective.
    When then loading a different scene in an attempt to get our sessions to sync again my Medium crashed.
    Repeated these exact steps multiple times and every time it resulted in a crash.

We tried reference images again with new sculpts.
    The host was able to load in a reference image into a new scene.
    He was unable to see the reference image I loaded into a new scene. I attempted to leave the image out for quite some time to see if it was simply loading slowly but it never appeared for him.

We used Discord for voice chat because the in-app voice chat cut out often and was regularly 5 or so seconds behind.

The host loaded in a custom imported reference model (he used fbx as he was unable to get the same model in obj format to load) and when he turned on wireframe mode I saw nothing but a full bright white emissive lightbulb of a model. He was able to see the wireframe.

Definitely can see this being a fun way to hang out and create as well as learn!