New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift Headphones audio stops working when I open Oculus Software

ClydfrogClydfrog Posts: 3
NerveGear
I got an Oculus rift today and was messing around with it for almost 2 hours.  Suddenly the sound quit from the rift headphones.  I tried restarting and disabling and enabling the rift headphones but nothing is working.  The headphones will be working fine (listening to a youtube video for testing), then if i open the oculus app, the sound completely stops.  As soon as I close the oculus app again the sound starts back up.

Also normal headphones work fine, it is only when selecting Rift headphones does it happen.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,119 Oculus Staff
    You want to set you Windows default audio device to your speakers or normal headphones. Oculus will switch automatically to the Rift headphones if you set it up correctly. Then go to the Oculus app under Settings -> Devices -> Rift and set "Audio Output in VR" to "Rift headphones". Hope that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ClydfrogClydfrog Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    You want to set you Windows default audio device to your speakers or normal headphones. Oculus will switch automatically to the Rift headphones if you set it up correctly. Then go to the Oculus app under Settings -> Devices -> Rift and set "Audio Output in VR" to "Rift headphones". Hope that helps.
    Ive done that, my settings are all fine.  But as soon as the oculus app starts the audio completely stops (for this test I had a youtube vid running in the background). Then as soon as you close the oculus app the sound starts again :\
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,119 Oculus Staff
    Yes, that is expected. You shouldn't be using Rift for normal audio programs like YouTube. It is intended for use with VR games. If you try a VR game, do you hear the audio (after setting the settings like I said above)?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ClydfrogClydfrog Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yes, that is expected. You shouldn't be using Rift for normal audio programs like YouTube. It is intended for use with VR games. If you try a VR game, do you hear the audio (after setting the settings like I said above)?
    No, that is why I tested it with youtube. Sound stops immediately when I load the oculus app. No sound in app, or games, or main lobby.  Sound works fine in everything else without the app open.
  • psychokroetepsychokroete Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi there, I have the same problem as cyberreality Clydfrog.. When starting Oculus-App, the sound output ist permanently stopped. I am able to watch / interact VR content - but without any sound.

• psychokroetepsychokroete Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    same problem here. minecraft in vr or ther stuff without sound..
  • GaminGargoyleGaminGargoyle Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the exact same problem, Can play games like a dream with steam. Start up a game through the oculus  app and it makes a blip noise, then nothing but visual, Hmmm Enable, disabled in playback etc, switched usb ports (including switching between mutiple ports even between 2.0 and 3.0), reset up headset... again and again...Played with mirror, no mirror, No sound ever... I am a streamer, gamer and been solving pc problems since the Vic 20. Nothing works that is until I exit the oculuis app. Start a Steam VR game up and poof no sound problems there... . I've tried everything including virtual audio cable to get sound thru this app. However as my dad taught me, never present a problem with out a SOLUTION:  We need to be able to choose a specific Output device within the app that matches the playback devices list for those with professional audio cards etc . I am sorry but I will be requesting a refund on my  game purchases as WTH is the point of playing with no sound with your app? Looks like valve gonna get my money till this is addressed. With the mass influx of new consumers from the summer fire sale, wonder how many of us are affected and will just return the VR and watch it die for another 25 years. 
  • Joxer88Joxer88 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having this exact problem. Did anyone get a solution for this?
  • SamuraiSamoriSamuraiSamori Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yeah, I just got mine, and already having this problem. I'm now just using my own wireless headphones, but would be great if these would just work...
  • DarthxRinzlerDarthxRinzler Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I started having a similar problem a month or two ago. When I first got the rift it would automatically have the rift headphones work in menu and in game when putting the headset on. Ever since the latest windows 10 update and oculus update, I have to do it manually. Only way I can get it to work is to manually change my audio device in windows to oculus rift headphones, then launch the oculus software, once I have the software open and the headset on, switch my windows audio device back to my speakers.

Either the windows update or oculus update screwed something up.
  • AaronW95AaronW95 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I had this happen to me, and this is how I fixed it. I right clicked the little speaker on the taskbar and then went to sounds>playback, I then disabled everything bar what I was using, but felt like "Realtek Digital Output" was the main culprit, it kept switching between my "Speakers" and that, so I set my speakers to "Default Device" and "Default Communications Device". Me, personally found that this worked, hope this also works for you.