Rift Gets OFFICIAL Price Cut After SALE of $100, RRP now $499 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift Gets OFFICIAL Price Cut After SALE of $100, RRP now $499

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
edited July 2017 in General
News just in. Oculus has lowered the regular price of the Rift+Touch bundle to $499 ($100 off the normal price). So this sends out  a message, hurry up and buy now in the sale for $399 and if you miss the sale then...

Some people have already pointed out (and I agree) once the mindset is there for a deal at $399 it's hard to recover from that and some folks will simply hold out until the next sale or price drop. The perceived value is now set at $399 for some people.  I think Oculus could have worked some magic with a wider range of tempting software bundles post the sale.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator
    Also, the new all-in-one kit will no longer include the xbox controller or the remote. Supposedly sale orders up until today will still get the old kit, but going forward, those are going to run out soon.

Official announcement.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • SnackyAUSnackyAU Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    I am not sure i think people will still buy it at $499 maybe not the flood of sales being seen now but people who are holding off will hold off anyway. But who knows what they have planned.. maybe they will make the sales more frequent ? i mean this is the 2nd price drop in whatever amount of time right so maybe another one is not too far off.

Either way more people with VR the better .. even though i do not have mine yet i am excited at the prospect of others i know getting into it
    One thing for sure, it will encourage people to get it now at the sale price. There's been plenty of speculation that $400 would be permanent going forward. At least now people know what to expect so they can make their decision accordingly, instead of taking a "wait and see" attitude.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    I'm calling it now -  $299 for the holiday season but one or no games bundled (there's enough free content now) and as Nalex66 points out no Xbox One controller or Remote. Oculus needs to stay with the competition (windows mixed reality sets) coming at the end of this year regardless of whether they have their own standalone HMD at $199.

The problem is for newcomers, the rift price is only half the entry point if you have to upgrade a PC or buy a new one. So it's still a lot of money for many people. Maybe the real turning point will be a complete system (PC,Rift+Touch) for $499 maybe next year.

Edit: So they are really clearing their inventory of old stock - the ones with the Xbox controller and Remote ? Mission complete it seems.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,908 Valuable Player
    Well I predicted another price cut by $50-100 either late this year or early next year but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Shame that they didn't decide to make the $400 price permanent though because that would have been amazing!

We'll probably see it back down to $400 for their Christmas Sale (yes, I called it CHRISTMAS, again! lol) in November/December I reckon.

Also sad to the end of the remote being packed in because it's awesome. :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,522 Valuable Player

The problem is for newcomers, the rift price is only half the entry point if you have to upgrade a PC or buy a new one. So it's still a lot of money for many people. Maybe the real turning point will be a complete system (PC,Rift+Touch) for $499 maybe next year.

That is true, but there also is still a huge PC Enthusiast gamer market out there that Oculus has yet to penetrate. And quite a lot  have rigs that can certainly run the Rift.  I think the new pricing structure will absolutely help gain market share in that segment.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    dburne said:

That is true, but there also is still a huge PC Enthusiast gamer market out there that Oculus has yet to penetrate. And quite a lot  have rigs that can certainly run the Rift.  I think the new pricing structure will absolutely help gain market share in that segment.
    I think that's exactly the market they need to focus on for PC VR. Non gamers are much less likely to jump into VR until they can get an all-in-one device, so next year's $200 stand-alone device can go after that demographic.
    edited July 2017
    nalex66 said:
    dburne said:

I think that's exactly the market they need to focus on for PC VR. Non gamers are much less likely to jump into VR until they can get an all-in-one device, so next year's $200 stand-alone device can go after that demographic.

The two main obstacle I have seen from trying to talk up VR in the PC gaming forums I frequent, are 1: Price, and 2: Reports of low resolution.

Now both of these combined, have really curtailed many PC Gamers from jumping into VR. As the price is coming down, I am seeing a few more gamers in those same forums now going ahead and taking the chance with it. 

The other concern, the low resolution, is obviously a tougher nut to overcome as they will not truly know what they will be looking at until they actually try it. And that part is not so easy. So many take the attitude , without even knowing what they would actually see, of just waiting till the next generation when surely resolution will be better. After all many are using 1440p monitors and even higher up to 4K. But the thing is, for those that roll the dice and order a unit, the vast great majority love it as the immersion is so intense it far outweighs the resolution issue. I have seen 4k monitor users never go back to it after getting VR.

The lower price point, will certainly help get more into it - and that is more folks that will spread the word which can only help. 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    So I said to a friend I was perplexed by the drop to $399 then back to normal price, only to then announce a permanent $499 price drop. Seemed confused at best, or just shambolic planning - as the news gets muddled in the reporting (as can be seen on some sites).

My friend spun a different take on this which I thought I should share here and see the reaction. What if the plan was not to do the $499 drop after the Summer sale, but because of FB's deep pockets, and they saw the reaction to the first drop, they decided to go all in to pressure HTC to follow them down, and so bankrupt themselves?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    It certainly puts pressure on HTC, but I think FB is more concerned with their own interests (grabbing market share) than HTC's financial situation.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,908 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    So I said to a friend I was perplexed by the drop to $399 then back to normal price, only to then announce a permanent $499 price drop. Seemed confused at best, or just shambolic planning - as the news gets muddled in the reporting (as can be seen on some sites).

My friend spun a different take on this which I thought I should share here and see the reaction. What if the plan was not to do the $499 drop after the Summer sale, but because of FB's deep pockets, and they saw the reaction to the first drop, they decided to go all in to pressure HTC to follow them down, and so bankrupt themselves?
    Oculus/Facebook couldn't give a monkey's about HTC's financial position, although they do know that HTC can't afford to drop the price of the Vive AND keep their lights on.

This further non-sale price drop is partly down to not bundling the Xbox One controller and remote with the bundle and partly down to Hans Hartmann being the dog's bollocks at his job and continuing to get the production costs down. We'll see a Christmas Sale price cut of $400 again and will see this price drop being permanent during the first or second quarter of next year.

Remember, the Snowdog ALWAYS talks sense B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    One thing is for sure, FB/Oculus is making a huge push to get the market share. I mean seriously, if HTC can do nothing to compete with this level of pricing, how are they going to sell units?

I could see if maybe only 100, or even 150.00 bucks difference some still preferring the Vive due to room scale, but this much? Can't see anyone choosing Vive for this much difference.
    Don

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    I think it will be challenging for HTC to stay as they are . The price differential due to a perceived superiority just won't cut it now regardless of whether they introduce new knuckle controllers. However, the game changes considerably if HTC were to announce Vive 1.5 as a complete wireless solution bundled with the new knuckles at a reasonably competitive price point.  But that's optimistic speculation at best.

As for Vive 1. HTC could lower the price to be in the same ballpark as the rift, they don't really have a choice now although let's not forget they do have a greater market share than Oculus despite this  recent sale which has certainly cleared some inventory that was gathering dust to make way for new SKUs.