New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Medium Crash on Start... Suggestions?

StickjockStickjock Posts: 14
NerveGear
Hey everyone... just getting into the Rift family here and loving it... Medium however is giving me fits... here's what I'm getting when attempting to start it (from the window app and from Home):

Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later. (OVR75318303)

If this issue continues, please visit Oculus Support to get help.

Package oculus-oculus-medium-retail (ready) Failed to launch app. (1971014)

Have uninstalled, reinstalled about a dozen times now... GPU drivers are up to date... I don't have anything running like MSI Afterburner or the like... only thing that WAS running was my Nvidia Shadowplay but even get the error when I turn Shadowplay off... 

Suggestions or ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• stefan.friskstefan.frisk Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem -  did you get any help with it?
  • StickjockStickjock Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    No help at all so far... in the meantime I have to do a complete reinstall of my Oculus software still... 

Took a power spike a few days ago and ended up having to wipe my HD and start from scratch... will get my Oculus setup again later today and post back if I encounter the error again... 

Originally, the software was installed to my SSD (C:\) and I had everything in my Library install to a secondary HD instead of my main (space saving...)
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    We're trying to look into what might be causing this. Could you shoot over your logs after this occurs? They'd be located in your user folder "...AppData\LocalLow\Oculus\Medium\log"

You have to turn off hidden folders to see it. 
  • obertoloobertolo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here, it doesn't start. I always get this message: "Fatal error. Oculus Medium has crashed.". Oculus app on a SSD (C:) and Library on another hard disk (F:). I bought the bundle with 7 app, 2 of them not working at all (Quill and Medium).
    obertolo said:
    2 of them not working at all (Quill and Medium).
    That is actually pretty helpful. Medium and Quill currently both run on OpenGL, which many of the Oculus apps do not, so this may help us zero in on the problem. 

Please ensure you're on latest drivers, don't have any tuners or GPU throttling apps running, and disable any malware or virus scan software and see if that remedies it. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • joebountjoebount Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. I don't really understand why this thread has Answered next to it since the issue hasn;t been solved. Quill works fine for me, not Medium :-/
    NerveGear
    Same head scratching on the "answered" part... oh well...

As for my logs, haven't gotten around to getting my Oculus software reinstalled yet... "today" hopefully barring work doesn't get busy or anything else comes up...

Once I do get it back on my system and going will report back.

Also... as to installation location... my SSD is only 250 gigs... hence why I normally put things on my secondary drives except for a few items (games currently being played, etc).  Thoughts on doing the entire install, oculus software AND my library on the secondary drive??  Had them split before and that "could" have been the start of my problems... don't know...

Just hate installing again, going through the set up process only to find I have to uninstall again and do it all over again for a 3rd time...

Thanks all...
    Hm, We have seen quite a few issues running Medium on secondary drives, so that could be the culprit.

To confirm you're running a Rift not a Vive on Re-Vive correct?
    Could you drop your Medium log here as well please?

Another user was getting this on Windows 8 and was able to get it working again running compatibility mode.
  • JuliusBOSSJuliusBOSS Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    I'm having the same problem, before the update it worked fine, now it crashes every time on load after updating.
    I'm having the same problem, before the update it worked fine, now it crashes every time on load after updating.

Thanks for the log. 

Are you able to run Quill still?
    NerveGear
    Yep Quill works fine. 
    NerveGear
    Day off today so time to actually get to reinstalling Rift and Medium will be the first one I test out... 

Yes... Oculus Rift and Touch controllers are what we have, ordered from Oculus but cancelled the order as our local Best Buy had the same $399 bundle except with Eve: Valkyrie thrown in as well... (great game btw)

All titles included in the bundle worked just fine including Quill.  The only one that gave us the original error above was Medium.

Again, as SOON as I get everything reinstalled I'll report back and post up log files (none there since I had the crash last week and had to nuke my system back to scratch)... 
    NerveGear
    OK...

Oculus software reinstalled finally... everything connected and working as it should... During setup, chose G:\Program Files\Oculus\Software as directory for Apps to be installed to, default directory for the Oculus Software to be installed to (matter of space on my SSD... it's only a 250 gig and the OS and 2 games are eating over 1/2 that currently... rather the Oculus Apps go to one of my secondary HDD's).

Medium is the only App I have installed so far... started it from VR Oculus Home - "Sorry Medium is taking so long to start..." Headset off, close Oculus software and see a message that "Medium crashed" and that was it... no message like my original post.

Now... users\appdata\locallow\oculus directory.... there IS NO Medium directory there... so I have no log to upload from there... Do have the OculusSetup.log and the Diagnostic zip file...Help??  Thanks so far everyone... really want this one to run... we don't OWN a 3D printer, but a place in town does printing for people... We home school our daughter and this would make a GREAT school art class... create then print her creation.

• ShuflieShuflie Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Try running AdwCleaner and see if it picks up anything, I was having the same problem as you and tracked it down to  Lavasoft web companion, AdwCleaner got rid of it for me and no more problems.
    NerveGear
    Should point out that the problem with Lavasoft web companion was that is hijacks all web traffic and runs it through their servers to look for hijacked web links, if you an antivirus program that does something similar that may be the problem. 
    NerveGear
    WAS running Avast... but since the system crash and reinstall have just had Microsoft Defender (ugh) running... nothing else...
    NerveGear
    You could try debugging with something like visual studio express (or community edition I think they call it now) that's how I found out that the lavasoft program was causing the fault. 
    Shuflie's recommendations are where I was gunna go next. If it's crashing before it even has time to write out the appdata folder it's definitely either a malware/adblock program (we've found some cause problems even if they're just installed. Or more likely there is something hijacking OpenGL stuff.
    NerveGear
    Install seemed to be fine... no crash notice there though.  The crash message (with no details) came after trying to start Medium in the Oculus Home and recieving the notice that "Medium is taking too long to start... " message
    NerveGear
    Have you tried running the oculus software as administrator? Also check the permissions on the drive you have installed to and your user profile folder too. I have my profile stored on another drive due to SSD size too and permissions were messed up for some programs.
    NerveGear
    I did a scan for Malware/Adblock, however, nothing was found. In my Medium logs, I notice I have a lot of Conflicting values and Unable to find loader items. Could this be the cause? Maybe with the update, there's a conflict in where the files are located? HELP PLEASE. I've  been a week without Medium working, it sucks because it's really the only program I spend the most time in. Any suggestions???  
    If you can run this in command line 

tasklist /FO csv > "%userprofile%\desktop\tasks.csv"

It'll kick out a list of active processes we could have a look through that and see if there's anything hiding in there that's the culprit.
    NerveGear
    I notice if I end task for the "lsass.exe","788","Services","0","8,752 K" 
    it work for a short moment then restarts. 
    I notice if I end task for the "lsass.exe","788","Services","0","8,752 K" 
    it work for a short moment then restarts. 
    Thanks, that's a windows authentication process. Do you have Medium installed on D:

Also, could you try disabling your MSI softwares? 
    GamingApp_Service.exe
    MSI_Cloud_service
    MSIControlService
    SGamingApp.exe
    muachost.exe (by MSI)

Anything related to MSI, that seems like a likely culprit.
    NerveGear
    Disabled all the MSI plugins and uninstalled, its still crashing, Quill runs fine. Any Clue? Here a updated Tasks file. If I uninstall the  Oculus launcher do you think that would fix the problem? 
    Hm, that was our best guess. It's most commonly been either open GL related or some random malware/adware scanner thing messing it up. Yeah, reinstalling launcher is a good next step.We'll keep poking around, 
  • cybercyrus90cybercyrus90 Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited August 2017
    HELP! Used to work fine, and just the other day started giving me this, Ive tried everything from reinstalling and updating drivers, restarting my computer, reinstalling medium, clearing space and nothing seems to work :/

• cybercyrus90cybercyrus90 Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    Medium Log