New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus' Secret New Game Revealed: Marvel Powers United VR

CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,249 Poster of the Week
The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    Huh. I don't know if this "the game I never even knew I wanted", but we'll see how it comes out.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,040 Power Poster
    Facebook, Oculus, Marvel, and Disney. That's a pretty damn awesome team.

Lots of articles popping up on the Interwebs about this:
    https://uploadvr.com/oculus-marvel-powers-united-vr/

I love the Hulk so this is great news!
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,249 Poster of the Week
    edited July 15
    I think this game will probably occupy the same sort of niche as like, Raw Data?  Not that I've actually played Raw Data yet  (*collective gasp from the community*)

I mean, you run around fighting mooks and you'll have all these character choices that will play wildly different from each other.

Very curious in whether MPU  will be more of a limited-area wave-survival type thing, or more objective-based with larger maps to trek across...  (at one point in the trailer it did look like someone playing as Rocket Raccoon was just running around with smooth locomotion)  one of the hallmarks of a great super-hero game is "travel powers", which could hypothetically be very thrilling in VR   (or perhaps they'll avoid that, for fear of it being "too intense" to jump and fly around at high speeds?)
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    I never played Raw Data either. 'Cause I won't pay for a Robo Recall prequel.

Co-op gaming is great in VR. It was my favorite part of Dead & Buried (defeating all the boss battle campaigns). I've also read multiple good things about the "Rise of the Jumbotron" game in Rec Room, which is pure Co-op.

If this title is in fact that "secret reveal" from Oculus, then I'm sure once it is released and in our libraries that many of us will be having a grand 'ol time acting out Marvel characters in a multiplayer VR space.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/528768#Comment_528768

Ok i guessed it one month before it is announced !! Where is my prize :wink:

Oculus wins !!
    hah! You did in fact guess it. Bravo @Nacaryus

edited July 15
    "and Rift owners, especially the new ones"
    Why especially the new ones? Why would existing Rifters feel less inclined than newcomers?

Because we've had so many wave shooters already now we're getting tired.
    So maybe it's an update on an existing game or game idea that has been given a massive overhaul? (if done right).
    Appears to be just that with Marvel characters.

One has to remember here though that the very nature of these comments is of a hype especially given the time  (during  the sale) and when specifically mentioning new rift owners.  A neat marketing strategy.
    The person is under NDA to not talk about the game but then releases comments about said game (obviously with permission to do so). 
    Beware of the hype machine as it comes in various forms.

That's all. 

QFT. (can i do that with my own quotes?).

This game looks grrrrreat and I love Marvel. Nice being able to play as Rocket and hope he packs some cool gadgets. BUTTTT. It's another frigging wave shooter (without zombies this time). Sorry, but the way the dude hyped this shit is phenomenal and has made me lose faith completely now in VR websites who I'll from here on out place in the same league as Youtubers who think a VR fart is "Amazing" , "Best thing I've ever smelt".

Edit: Raw Data is actually pretty cool game for those of you who have not played it. Especially when you get to the point where you can manually place defense turrets.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,456 Poster of the Week
    well this is interesting

great partnership if so, seems oculus are aiming high

Atmos will not be happy when hes back

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    well this is interesting

great partnership if so, seems oculus are aiming high

Atmos will not be happy when hes back

Atmos will jump on the Shadow bandwagon and just call this another wave shooter lol

@Atmos73

just buy a rift, go on they are so so cheap atm
    edited July 15
    @Shadowmask72  -  I guess I can see how, if you're someone who already got completely burnt out on games like Raw Data, you'd worry that this will just feel like a cheap re-skin.

If so, that would explain why this is expected to be a hit with newer Rift owners, specifically:  They haven't gotten burnt out on this sort of thing yet.

But on the other hand, maybe this won't just be a simple wave-survival game!  We don't really have a whole lot of info yet.

I'm looking forward to it either way, because I haven't had enough time / energy to devote to VR playing any games, to get burnt out on anything yet  :lol:

edited July 15
    I'm not sure why there is apprehension towards Raw Data. It's an awesome game fellas. I mean seriously it is. They added a new character and location today as well. Before Robo Recall, this was definitely king of the crop.

Anyways. One can't complain about new games and it is exciting. Hopefully we'll get a Resident Evil survivor type game at some point as well.  I am still counting the days to hear what those who haven't tried RE 7 on PSVR think (obviously well improved on PC) when it releases on PC. I am confident there will be mass pant pooing on that day.

@CrashFu completely agree. Plus, there are Wave Shooters like Space Pirate Trainer and VR Invaders, and then there are full experiences like Drop Dead. There is a big difference between a real Wave Shooter and a full Combat Experience.

Plus, I think we should wait until we see more about this game before trying to slap a label on it.

i have not played as many wave shooters but what i have played has been alot of fun

good for burning off frustrations of work for an hour and putting down. Everyone seems to love Marvel to death, this will be a hit i am sure

Zenbane said:
    Plus, I think we should wait until we see more about this game before trying to slap a label on it.
    Point taken.

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 682
    Neo
    I'm impressed for now by the trailer itself which is amazing, they know how to create such thing!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

YoLolo69 said:
    I'm impressed for now by the trailer itself which is amazing, they know how to create such thing!
    Yeah. It can't be understated how important trailer design is when talking VR apps.  You can't just show people raw footage alone or they won't be able to tell how its different from a regular 2D game.  Oculus trailers often do a good job of capturing that feel of "stepping into another world", and having the sights and sounds of a game surround you.

They also try pretty hard to emphasize that VR users aren't just friendless shut-ins .... although I'm just now realizing that all these people in the ad had to text each other on their phones just to organize their VR gaming session.  Painfully accurate. :tired_face:
  • Smashed_PumpkinSmashed_Pumpkin Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks like the usual franchise emboldened stab at the swollen mainstream cash sack. Reminds me of the first time I saw perfect dark zero on the Xbox 360, impressive at a glance but for some reason I feel it's going to be horribly uninspired.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 643 Poster of the Week
    edited July 16
    Well im not going to lie I will pre order this game as soon as its avalible.
    Getting Disney on board tells me that the Rift will not be going away anytime soon.
    WAAAGH!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yea that is a good point. Although I do worry there is way too much of this "first time using VR" appeal going around. I'm looking forward to when a large developer makes the plunge and commits to a project with significant longevity. But again, I suppose we're yet to see what Powers United has in the way of progression and replayability.
    edited July 16
    Average game development time for a big title with longevity is 3-5 years. We barely passed the 1 year mark. We're gonna keep seeing more instant-gratification type games in the meantime. Unless someone invents a time machine soon lol

Zenbane said:
    Average game development time for a big title with longevity is 3-5 years. We barely passed the 1 year mark. We're gonna keep seeing more instant-gratification type games in the meantime. Unless someone invents a time machine soon lol
    Although, Oculus does have the advantage of having approached game developers about these projects and giving them the funding to start work on them LONG before the first CV1 pre-orders were even shipped. Heck, there could be major projects we still don't know about that have been in development since the DK1 days!   In fact, I'd bet on it.
    Great point @CrashFu

There are certainly a handful of development studios who may have begun work as early as 2014 or 2015. Which means that we could be 1-2 years away from finally seeing something huge.

Although the big multi-million dollar contributions to this effort didn't really start until Around 2016 when Zuckerberg made this monetary commitment.

Hopefully by Christmas 2018 or Summer 2019 we can finally start to see the massive VR titles taking the world by storm.

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 503
    Trinity
    Are you limited to those three characters? Hulk is anA-lister but the other two  not so much.

I think Cyclopes would be a cool character in VR. 
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    I noticed two things while showing this trailer to friends.  The scene where the hulk roars and they cut to the player doing the same thing (and looking a bit foolish) is pretty key.  It showed me that my friends were imagining themselves doing EXACTLY THAT, and they also looked embarrassed because it showed them what they'd actually look like in real-life to everyone else while doing it.

We need to get to the point where the fun of VR overrules the self-consciousness that comes along with looking dorky putting on VR gear.  If VR becomes a social pariah like LARP, it's going to take FOREVER for mass adoption.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    MowTin said:
    Are you limited to those three characters? Hulk is anA-lister but the other two  not so much.

I think Cyclopes would be a cool character in VR. 
    There will apparently be four characters to start (the fourth hasn't been revealed yet) with more added over time.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zoomie said:
    I noticed two things while showing this trailer to friends.  The scene where the hulk roars and they cut to the player doing the same thing (and looking a bit foolish) is pretty key.  It showed me that my friends were imagining themselves doing EXACTLY THAT, and they also looked embarrassed because it showed them what they'd actually look like in real-life to everyone else while doing it.

We need to get to the point where the fun of VR overrules the self-consciousness that comes along with looking dorky putting on VR gear.  If VR becomes a social pariah like LARP, it's going to take FOREVER for mass adoption.
    I don't think there really is an issue with people being worried about looking "dorky". If anything, the hilarity which ensues from the crazy things people do and look like when in VR has added to it's popularity. There will be cases where people who know nothing about VR will have seen a fail or reaction video, of someone quite clearly having their senses overwhelmed, and will develop an interest in VR because of it.

Becoming the hulk in VR and being able to "hulk out" in real life is a massive appeal if you ask me. One of the few appeals I actually felt coming out of that trailer.