New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How small an area do you need and can it be used from a swivel chair

philipkuffnerphilipkuffner Posts: 15
NerveGear
edited July 17 in General
I have a very small area in my home office with not more than four feet to the rear and the width of six feet  I was hoping this system will work if I stayed in my office chair. I have bad knees and cant stand for long. but can take chair out if that is the only way toi use the system
growing older is mandatory growing up is optional
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    You can still enjoy seated controller experiences like project cars or elite dangerous. But you may not be able to enjoy oculus  touch games like robo recall while seated.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    edited July 17
    Most games on the Oculus store work fine as "standing room only", so your amount of space shouldn't be a problem. I've been playing with a similar size space for the past year. The ideal play space is considered to be 7' wide x 5' deep, but yours will be considered "Moderate" by the setup program.

Some games use your height as a reference, but if you want to always play seated without being 4' tall in games, you can cheat the setup program: tell it your real height, but let it scan you in a seated position; this will put the virtual floor at a distance below your eye level as if you were standing. The only drawback to that is if a game demands that you pick up a virtual item from the floor--you may not be able to reach it if the virtual floor is a couple feet below the real floor.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player
    I am using a similar small space at the moment with a swivel chair and have no issues with most games including Robo Recall etc. Sure, there's not as much movement like being able to duck next to cover and the like, but you can still take advantage of free or teleportation movement to counter it - especially if you warp to an area with your back to a wall or solid object.

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • philipkuffnerphilipkuffner Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited July 17
    Thanks folks for all the help need to set it up before grandson shows next month to let him know that 65 is the new 30:)
    growing older is mandatory growing up is optional
    Awesome! Have fun!
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • CyrilCyril Posts: 1,081
    Neo
    edited July 18
    The CV1 main menu could do with a sit/stand toggle so you can switch between standing and sitting on a swivel chair, or the ability to type in a number to offset your height as needed... but it just isn't there yet.

In the meantime one solution might be to buy selfie stick extensions for each sensor stand, so you can raise and lower the sensors as needed.
    Cyril said:
    The CV1 main menu could do with a sit/stand toggle so you can switch between standing and sitting on a swivel chair, or the ability to type in a number to offset your height as needed... but it just isn't there yet.

In the meantime one solution might be to buy selfie stick extensions for each sensor stand, so you can raise and lower the sensors as needed.
    Moving the sensors isn't recommended without re-doing sensor setup. Height set-up is quick and easy to do, though--in the Oculus app, go to Settings/Devices/Configure Rift/Floor Position. Type in a new height, let the sensors scan you, and you're all set.
  • CyrilCyril Posts: 1,081
    Neo
    So they did add a shortcut : Thank you I'll go check it out :)