New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtuality - Blast from the VR Past (1992)

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
Tagged:

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    OMG the size of that headset.

Over 20 years later and still not quite there yet. I'm surprised though it's taken this long given what they were doing back then.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice. That was my first experience in VR back in 1993. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    Hmm, in the 90s I was involved in many other out-of-home experiences Kevin. Mainly around the M25 belt rave scene before John Major (Tories) introduced the CJB forcing people into more organized events and clubs.

Good times.

:)  :):):):):):):):):):p

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
    Hmm, in the 90s I was involved in many other out-of-home experiences Kevin. Mainly around the M25 belt rave scene before John Major (Tories) introduced the CJB forcing people into more organized events and clubs.

Good times.
     B) 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 936
    3Jane
    Nice. That was my first experience in VR back in 1993. 
     My first VR experience was this van sized unit you climbed into at the shopping mall some time in the late 80s.  There was no headset involved; you simply watched certain experiences on the movie screen in front of you, such as riding in the race car, flying on a jet, etc. while the van rocked and tilted on hydraulic lifters. Because of the perfect synchronization with the video, it was very convincing. Anybody know what this was called? 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
    cybernettr said:Anybody know what this was called? 
    This?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    kevinw729 said:

Thats really really cool. As this is my first couple weeks enjoying VR seeing what they accomplished way back in 1992 when i was 2 years old is pretty crazy. I am surprised as well it took this long but it was probably 20 times more issues back then haha.

I doubt they hit 90fps thats for sure lol. Good video! 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    OMG the size of that headset.

Over 20 years later and still not quite there yet. I'm surprised though it's taken this long given what they were doing back then.
    Well if you look at Moore's Law between 90-10's then it makes more sense really, and the explosion into smartphones helped all the small components needed dramatically drop in price to make it affordable. Hence the Oculus Kickstarter was perfectly timed to take advantage of re-purposing phone parts.

Anyone ever take apart a DK2? You'll notice there is a decapitated Samsung Note 3 in there :P

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,130 Valuable Player
    edited July 2017
    kevinw729 said:
    (video from OP snipped)
    what you are seeing there is the device which made me the VR fanboy i am today.