New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Rift - Slight left tilt

jbaertjbaert Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hey there,

I ordered the rift+touch bundle last week, the hardware arrived today. Installed and used the Rift fine yesterday, but today I notice that my horizon (the part of the world that is supposed to be level) is slightly tilted down to the left. It's not very noticeable in games with lots of movement, but in the Oculus VR Home screen (where you see the white whiteframe) it's visible. Tilting your head to the right obviously doesn't work, because the sensor thinks that whatever it's showing is level :)

I read up on this, and it seems to be related to temperature issues with the IMU. The effect is definitely not as outspoken every time I use the Rift, but it annoys me enough to care....

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Comments

• UlyssesSBluntUlyssesSBlunt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I am experiencing the same issue. It seems like this issue has not been reported as often lately as it was in the past, judging from a Google search.

Have you attempted the IMU calibration tool? I am going to contact support and will likely attempt to calibrate the IMU using the tool, but I haven't yet attempted it.

It's not a deal breaker, and I'm sure I could get used to it, but even though the tilt is probably only 2-3 degrees it's enough that I immediately noticed something was off when First Contact started just after setting up my Rift. Since then there have been several times where it's distracted me and brought me out of the game.
  • jbaertjbaert Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Support hasn't sent me the IMU calibration tool yet, I'm not planning on using it without their green light.
  • GriffJGriffJ Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    edited July 2017
    When first setup the Rift I don't think I had this issue, but after using it again yesterday and today I definitely noticed this..  I complained in a ticket that I opened with support, but the jerks in support keep setting my ticket to "Solved" without even replying to me, I'd be happy if they told me to go 'frak' myself at least it'd be a response.. So I keep re-opening the ticket.. ;)

There is no excuse for this kind of poor support, sale or no sale. Repeatedly closing a support request with no response at all to the customer would be a firing offense in my IT department.

Edit:  P.S.  It seems as though the manual calibration tool doesn't work anymore. they're not giving it out? 
  • teknix1teknix1 Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I have this exact issue with my current headset. I actually returned one for this exact reason. Support had sent me the IMU calibration tool which I've used on both headset and it never changed anything. Both that I've had suffer from this exact problem. I wish there was a manual override for setting up the rift, seems to me like this type of thing would be so easy to implement. The software is in serious need of some advanced functions for this type of stuff.

I also wish they'd have better settings for eye separation and pin cushioning for adjusting the lens distortion projection, I can never fully get rid of the chromatic aberrations.
  • ForceflowForceflow Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My support ticket is currently stuck in "we'll get back to you". Anyone else with the same issues?
  • GriffJGriffJ Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Well they finally told me why they kept closing my ticket...  they said that because I already had a ticket open for not being able to use any payment method on my account.  I should use only that ticket. Well that ticket is about not being able to use payment methods, not because I see a left tilt when I use Rift. Do *duh*, of course I opened a new ticket, for a completely different issue.. ...Yes I'm venting. sorry. 

Yes I have had tickets... er ticket, open for almost 2 weeks with no resolution. 
  • WATBITWATBIT Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I am having the left tilt issue as well. I was hoping for a quick fix that I was simply overlooking but I guess not. This issue dates back to the CV1 launch and still hasn't been fixed!? That's just sad.
  • HouseOfWHouseOfW Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, very slight tilt down to the left, noticeable on horizons, menus, text, logos, etc.  I have an open support ticket and am awaiting their response.
  • SitruzSitruz Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    I get this every so often but to be honest it normally sorts itself out. I haven't noticed when it occurs the most, but it seems after I'm finished, shutdown for the day, then load up the next day it seems to be OK again.

I'm not saying a reboot will fix it because I doubt it would, just what I've experienced. 
  • HouseOfWHouseOfW Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    They're saying they want pictures of the tilted image directly from the headset and also the display screen to compare.  I'm not sure what would be best to photograph.  I think this is going to be a little difficult.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 779 Poster of the Week
    When I got my replacement Rift on Monday (which is already on the way back for other reasons) I ALSO thought it had a slight tilt to the left. But after a few minutes I wasn't actually sure whether it's just a subjective impression (maybe from wearing the Rift not straight)..or *really* a left tilt.
  • TehJumpingJawaTehJumpingJawa Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's might be your physical eyes that are not level (most people's aren't).

My understanding is that the Oculus' calibration assumes the lenses are level, which will obviously not be perfectly accurate if your eyes aren't level.
  • TheCraziesTTheCraziesT Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited September 2017
    refer to comment below
    NerveGear
    edited September 2017
    refer to comment below
    NerveGear
    edited September 2017
    refer to comment below
    NerveGear
    I've been putting off trying a full computer re-format because it would be heart breaking to find out it works for the first full day of install again and then stops :(. Now that I've seen that so many people have this issue, I feel I owe it to yall and the devs to provide an update on this and tell you what happens. be back in a couple hours folks, with the results
    NerveGear
    I am installing now. I think I found out what the actual problem is.

testing before i share it.

NerveGear
    when you first download the oculus rift installer there are a couple of different error messages that pop up. 

one of them is that you need to download one of two different security updates.

The thing is, before one of these became a standalone update, it was actually previously bundles with the service pack update.

If you havent reformatted or updated windows in a while, it will tell you you already have those updates, but alas the installer wont let you get past this message.

A quick search on youtube and google will tell you the best fix for this is to type a command into the cmd promt to bypass the hotfix security check.

THATS IT !     THATS THE PROBLEM !  AS SOON AS YOU BYPASS THIS IT CAUSES A CHAIN OF EVENTS WHICH LEAD TO A LEFT-LEANING TILT IN ABOUT A DAY AFTER YOU INSTALL.

the solution: buy a full copy of windows 10.

It sucks it really does but this is the solution.

There, I just solved thousands of tickets and any future ticket issues possible.

I will continue testing this for the next day or two, and then I will let the oculus support staff know in a response in my ticket.

Happy trails friends, and good luck!
    NerveGear
    Thought I'd share an update.  I ended up opening a ticket with Oculus Support who were really helpful and eventually led to sending the unit back for a replacement.  Sadly, the new one has the same issue which seems to confirm that it's a software problem.  However, I do own a full retail copy of Windows 10 so I don't know what buying another one would do as TheCraziesT suggests.  At this point, I'm not sure what my next step is.  I haven't been buying VR games because I don't think I'll keep the Rift if I can't fix this issue.

I really wish there was a horizon calibration tool during setup. 
    NerveGear
    Back with yet another update.  I decided to go with a fresh install of Windows and it didn't help at all.  I wiped everything and started over but as soon as First Contact started I could see the dreaded slant.  
  • conconcraftconconcraft Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue with my oculus rift just got it yesterday IDK what to do
    NerveGear
    I'm still working with the Oculus team to fix my 2nd unit. It's sadly worse than the first one. I feel like I'm in a crappy situation with this thing. I'm way beyond the the return period and can't sell a broken unit. Though I'd prefer to get this fixed.
  • RickyRejectRickyReject Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    WATBIT said:
    I'm still working with the Oculus team to fix my 2nd unit. It's sadly worse than the first one. I feel like I'm in a crappy situation with this thing. I'm way beyond the the return period and can't sell a broken unit. Though I'd prefer to get this fixed.
    Hello Mr Watbit. May I be as rude as asking for an update on this? I had a post in this thread myself, but was suggested to get a replacement unit, but from what Ive read (and you state yourself), the issue might persist even with a "fresh" unit.

How has things gone in your end?

NerveGear
    My 2nd unit had a slight tilt and the calibration tool only made it worse, even worse than my original. It made it very uncomfortable to be in even for short periods of time. 

I RMA's that one and received a 3rd. Unlike my first replacement, this one took a long time to receive. During this waiting period, I had time to think about other options. I received the unit which was brand new so I decided to cut my losses and sell it rather than even mess with it again. I was beyond frustration at this point. I spent so much time troubleshooting and shipping the unit off that it felt like I never owned it to begin with.
  • deftwaredeftware Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    This problem has been going on since 2016 and there's still no solution? I just got my Rift yesterday. It was fine all day yesterday, fine this morning, and now it's slanted to the left. If they need pictures all you have to do is put your HMD on a level surface - take a picture of it with a level on/next to/infront of and then a screenshot of the game on your computer screen. Done. It's slanted. How are they not experiencing this in their own offices with the production units while the rest of the world is? It's obviously a software issue if the Vive has it when running Oculus games through Revive (hearsay). If it was a hardware issue you'd think the direction of slant would vary from headset to headset, but it's consistently a bit to the left.
  • jhugardjhugard Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My rift is also tilted to the left 1-2 degrees.  For those of us who compulsively straighten pictures on the wall (and no longer need a level), this really is an issue.  Perhaps the Rift devs are desensitized to it at this point, or just aren't as sensitive as some of us are.

Please take the request seriously and provide a fix.  It really is distracting, and does impact my ability to enjoy most experiences.  I'm a software engineer by trade.  Seriously, how hard could it be to add a setup option to adjust the horizon?
  • Mad066Mad066 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    I got my Rift last week and noticed the first time I put it on that there was a slight tilt to the left. I thought maybe it was because my sensors were not at the same height. Last weekend I made a permanent space for it with sensors at the same height and I'm still having this issue. Now that the Vive is only $100 more, I'm considering taking back the Rift since it seems that this has been a problem for years and has not bee officially addressed.
  • FinessSzabiFinessSzabi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue with my Rift right since I have unboxed it 1 week ago. Slight tilt to the left. After raising ticket to support it turned out there is no seperate calibration program any more, so no chance to fix it officially at home any more. As I live in Hungary which is not supported by Oculus I would need to return it to the seller, but I have doubts that a replacement will help based on what I read here.
    I am really frustrated. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 975
    Neo
    Mine has a slight left tilt by 1 degree and I see this in some games too like BoxVR. It was obvious whilst in Setup as soon as you see the horizon and we see it in Home also. I take it that it still might happen with just 1 Sensor as we used before Touch came out? 

Incidentally my Rift Mic lost access to the drop menu to change quality from 48 to 44.1Hz
    Is this the same for all of you too?
  • Rawhead_RexRawhead_Rex Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited August 15
    I have a Rift purchased in 2016 that is perfectly balanced and has been for two years. Unfortunately, the frame got damaged and eventually broke completely. User error and out of warranty, so I decided to purchase a replacement.

I have since bought four different Rifts (3 from Amazon, 1 from Best Buy), and every one has the left tilt issue. Oculus Support seems to run me through the same steps, #1 Send a picture, #2 Reinstall Oculus Software, #3 Maybe offer RMA.

I have just been returning the headsets, and and this point I don't think purchasing more or getting an RMA will help. Very frustrated at this point. It is starting to look like I will never get a properly working Rift again.