cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift - Slight left tilt

jbaert
Explorer
Hey there,

I ordered the rift+touch bundle last week, the hardware arrived today. Installed and used the Rift fine yesterday, but today I notice that my horizon (the part of the world that is supposed to be level) is slightly tilted down to the left. It's not very noticeable in games with lots of movement, but in the Oculus VR Home screen (where you see the white whiteframe) it's visible. Tilting your head to the right obviously doesn't work, because the sensor thinks that whatever it's showing is level 🙂

I read up on this, and it seems to be related to temperature issues with the IMU. The effect is definitely not as outspoken every time I use the Rift, but it annoys me enough to care....

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?
31 REPLIES 31

UlyssesSBlunt
Explorer
Yes, I am experiencing the same issue. It seems like this issue has not been reported as often lately as it was in the past, judging from a Google search.

Have you attempted the IMU calibration tool? I am going to contact support and will likely attempt to calibrate the IMU using the tool, but I haven't yet attempted it.

It's not a deal breaker, and I'm sure I could get used to it, but even though the tilt is probably only 2-3 degrees it's enough that I immediately noticed something was off when First Contact started just after setting up my Rift. Since then there have been several times where it's distracted me and brought me out of the game.

jbaert
Explorer
Support hasn't sent me the IMU calibration tool yet, I'm not planning on using it without their green light.

Anonymous
Not applicable
When first setup the Rift I don't think I had this issue, but after using it again yesterday and today I definitely noticed this..  I complained in a ticket that I opened with support, but the jerks in support keep setting my ticket to "Solved" without even replying to me, I'd be happy if they told me to go 'frak' myself at least it'd be a response.. So I keep re-opening the ticket.. 😉

There is no excuse for this kind of poor support, sale or no sale. Repeatedly closing a support request with no response at all to the customer would be a firing offense in my IT department.

Edit:  P.S.  It seems as though the manual calibration tool doesn't work anymore. they're not giving it out? 

teknix1
Protege
I have this exact issue with my current headset. I actually returned one for this exact reason. Support had sent me the IMU calibration tool which I've used on both headset and it never changed anything. Both that I've had suffer from this exact problem. I wish there was a manual override for setting up the rift, seems to me like this type of thing would be so easy to implement. The software is in serious need of some advanced functions for this type of stuff.

I also wish they'd have better settings for eye separation and pin cushioning for adjusting the lens distortion projection, I can never fully get rid of the chromatic aberrations.

Forceflow
Honored Guest
My support ticket is currently stuck in "we'll get back to you". Anyone else with the same issues?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well they finally told me why they kept closing my ticket...  they said that because I already had a ticket open for not being able to use any payment method on my account.  I should use only that ticket. Well that ticket is about not being able to use payment methods, not because I see a left tilt when I use Rift. Do *duh*, of course I opened a new ticket, for a completely different issue.. ...Yes I'm venting. sorry. 

Yes I have had tickets... er ticket, open for almost 2 weeks with no resolution. 

WATBIT
Honored Guest
I am having the left tilt issue as well. I was hoping for a quick fix that I was simply overlooking but I guess not. This issue dates back to the CV1 launch and still hasn't been fixed!? That's just sad.

HouseOfW
Honored Guest
Same issue here, very slight tilt down to the left, noticeable on horizons, menus, text, logos, etc.  I have an open support ticket and am awaiting their response.

Sitruz
Protege
I get this every so often but to be honest it normally sorts itself out. I haven't noticed when it occurs the most, but it seems after I'm finished, shutdown for the day, then load up the next day it seems to be OK again.

I'm not saying a reboot will fix it because I doubt it would, just what I've experienced.