New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Prevent Touch Controllers From Sleeping

democedesdemocedes Posts: 1
NerveGear
Does anyone know how to temporarily disable or change the sensitivity or timing of when touch controllers go to sleep?

I'm playing minecraft with the touch controllers.  The controllers have the issue of going to sleep while it is in my hand.  It seems to do it when I haven't pressed a button in a while or am only using the thumb-sticks. This can happen every 2 minutes.  It does it even with a fresh pair of batteries.
Tagged:

Comments

• mr12fingersmr12fingers Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I would like to know the answer to this too.  I'm building an application with not a lot of movement and the controllers keep falling asleep on me.
  • bahamutodbahamutod Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I would also like to see a solution.  I'm developing a game where its common to hold your hand very still for several minutes, either resting or holding something.  The sleep function prevents you from being able to quickly react.
  • TuuvasTuuvas Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I too was curious about this. When performing very fine movements, I found that the touch controller goes to sleep/standby even if the small controller movements were being tracked.  Its almost as if the standby timer can only be reset if the controller has been moved/rotated more than X or something.
  • MrDeathX1MrDeathX1 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    I would somehow want an option in oculus debug to turn this off.

When sniping in Onward they ALWAYS go to sleep since i need to sit as still as possible.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,189 Volunteer Moderator
    This may require updating the firmware of the touch controller.

Oculus have added in "VR Objects", which is the option to turn a touch controller into a tracked object attached to something like a camera (for mixed reality recording). When you pair a touch as a VR Object, a new firmware gets uploaded to the touch which changes the sleep. As long as the headset is being worn, a touch will then stay active for up to 24 hours (or until it's battery dies of course).
    But once you make it a VR Object, it stops being usable in normal games, until you unbind it and it restores previous behaviour.

So in theory it's possible, but it's not a simple option in the runtime.
    bahamutod said:
    I would also like to see a solution.  I'm developing a game where its common to hold your hand very still for several minutes, either resting or holding something.  The sleep function prevents you from being able to quickly react.
    I wonder if sending a very weak and short vibration event to the controllers would reset the sleep timer? I'm not sure if the vibration can be reduced to the point of not being felt, but changing vibration every couple of seconds might hold it awake.

• ramonolivaramonoliva Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, 

Is there any chance that we get a way to setup the sleep time of the touch controllers in an upcoming release? I've noticed that controllers enters in sleep mode after 1 minute of inactivity, and to awake them you need to press the X/Y, A/B buttons or move the controllers during some seconds in front of the cameras. 

Maybe it is only a matter of changing the sensitivity. I mean, when the HMD enters in sleep mode, it only needs a very gently movement in order to awake again, but the amount of movement required to awake the controllers once they are on sleep mode is far higher. 

Any news or progress on this issue would be appreciate. 

Thanks!
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 845
    3Jane
    Hmm. I haven't had a problem with the Touch controllers going to sleep prematurely until I activate a different controller, such as the Xbox. 
  • PrecachePrecache Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue. It makes it hard to play Subnautica, Lucky's Tail, and Aircar. I contacted tech support, and they thought my controllers were broken, so I'm not sure it's on their radar.

I'd approach the problem as the controller needs to come out of standby rather than keep it from entering. It would be an easy fix for the firmware guys if it's as simple as keeping track of the last transmitted analog value for each control, and waking it out of standby if the value changes significantly.
  • Diesel128Diesel128 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited January 3
    Same issue here, really disappointing to find out its on Oculus's end. I'm in the process of developing a game for the rift, which relies heavily on joystick inputs. It took me a while to figure out why my character would suddenly stop responding to stick inputs at seemingly random intervals while using the touch controllers. It turns out that each controller enters standby mode after precisely 1 minute without any inputs to the buttons, even while the joysticks are ACTIVELY in use. Extreme motion to the controllers will also prevent them from entering standby mode, however, I do not require my users to do jumping-jacks in the middle of my game... This is a firmware bug that could be fixed very simply on Oculus' end (if they felt it necessary). I believe this bug was introduced in a hotfix update to the firmware that was meant to prevent the touch controllers battery from going dead so quickly when not in use, as it appears that there were many people in the past complaining about the issue of short battery life on the touch controllers.

Oculus staff, if you are reading this, here is the issue, and how to fix it :

The Problem : Touch controller enters standby mode after 1 minute elapses without both sensing motion (above some specified threshold) from the accelerometer/gyro, and without reading a button press from either the A, B, X, Y, or a click-in of the joysticks. Some games do not require these inputs for 1 minute or more at a time, especially games that require using mostly the joysticks (As one post from MrDeathX1 mentions above, sniping could be one of them, or driving a car, controlling an aircraft, etc). 

The Solution : Simply check for joystick inputs in order to keep the controllers from entering standby mode.

It would probably also be a good idea to add this same check for grip and trigger buttons as well.

Precache also offered another possibly viable solution above, although I doubt it would be possible to read input values from a controller that is in standby mode in order to know if the value has changed significantly.
    If you are targeting gamers with your platform, this is a huge issue. Fixing this issue would allow developers to have the opportunity to develop whatever awesome ideas that they may be able to implement on your platform. Help us help you. The touch controllers should NOT enter standby mode while in use.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,189 Volunteer Moderator
    I've tried, but I can't recreate this, my touch have never gone to sleep while being held. I just now let them dangle for around 3 minutes (just holding the safety cord, not touching any part of them) and they stayed awake and were tracked.

If I put them down (must be zero motion) and obscure them from the sensors, they go into non-hand mode (where the hand models in Home disappear and they become grey touch controllers) within seconds, but wake from that as soon as they are seen again or moved.

I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but the fact that it doesn't affect everybody means it's going to be harder to track down causes. Maybe it's related to batch numbers, my Touch were from the very beginning, things might have changed electrically since then if yours are from a later batch.

Make sure you log a support ticket for it so oculus staff actually see it. The dev team don't come to this part of the forum often. Since it's affecting you developing, mentioning it in the developer section could be a good idea (that's where the dev team go).
    NerveGear
    Yes, your older models are not affected, they don’t go into standby mode, that’s why it stayed on for 3+ minutes. As I said above, the older model (hopefully just earlier firmware) that doesn’t sleep after 1 minute without being moved or having buttons pressed, were the ones having all the complaints of batteries dying too quickly. The newest model/firmware which I have are plagued by the standby issue mentioned above. Their fix to the battery problem introduced major bugs to the controller firmware is my point.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,283 Valuable Player
    Damn, I have the old Touch controllers.  I wanted to get another pair later, but now I want to keep these in prestine condtion.  I didn't know they were re-releasing shoddy versions of these same controllers.  What a god damn shame.
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    Damn, I have the old Touch controllers.  I wanted to get another pair later, but now I want to keep these in prestine condtion.  I didn't know they were re-releasing shoddy versions of these same controllers.  What a god damn shame.
    Hopefully its just a simple firmware fix on their end, but I agree. Really a shame that this fix was so naively implemented in the firmware. There's also a 2-month old thread in the developer forums mentioning the same issue here that people have been experiencing with touch controllers that have been purchased since May 2017. The problem and cause have been pinpointed and hopefully Oculus will soon acknowledge that it is indeed a problem. Especially since more and more people will be affected by it, since its only in the newer firmware (newer as in May 2017 till current).
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    Hopefully its just a simple firmware fix on their end, but I agree. Really a shame that this fix was so naively implemented in the firmware. There's also a 2-month old thread in the developer forums mentioning the same issue here that people have been experiencing with touch controllers that have been purchased since May 2017. The problem and cause have been pinpointed and hopefully Oculus will soon acknowledge that it is indeed a problem. Especially since more and more people will be affected by it, since its only in the newer firmware (newer as in May 2017 to current models).
    NerveGear
    falken76 said:
    Hopefully its just a simple firmware fix on their end, but I agree. Really a shame that this fix was so naively implemented in the firmware. There's also a 2-month old thread in the developer forums mentioning the same issue here that people have been experiencing with touch controllers that have been purchased since May 2017. The problem and cause have been pinpointed and hopefully Oculus will soon acknowledge that it is indeed a problem. Especially since more and more people will be affected by it, since its only in the newer firmware (newer as in May 2017 to current models).
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 208
    Art3mis
    kojack said:
    I wonder if sending a very weak and short vibration event to the controllers would reset the sleep timer? I'm not sure if the vibration can be reduced to the point of not being felt, but changing vibration every couple of seconds might hold it awake.
    I tried this yesterday and I could have sworn it worked, but today it doesn't seem to! It's possible that the way I placed the Touch on the table that the vibration I put in my app (strong 100 samples @ 160Hz) physically moved it enough to trigger the accelerometer but that seems unlikely. I tried a variety of different vibrations and tried putting the Touch down in a variety of different positions and it's still going into standby each time.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 24,968 Oculus Staff
    We're looking into this issue now. Thanks for reporting.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MrDeathX1MrDeathX1 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    We're looking into this issue now. Thanks for reporting.
    please make an option to disable the touch controllers switching to standby mode
  • Mito.ZoMito.Zo Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited March 5
    Playing Elite Dangerous with full Touch controller is amazing but my left control keeps on going to sleep because I am only using the thumbstick. I have to shake and press something to wake it up before I crash into the Sun and melt myself.
    Active: ASUS Zephyrus GX501: i7-7700HQ, GTX 1080 Max-Q (8GB), 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 15.6" 120Hz IPS G-SYNC, full Steelseries peripherals, Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch & 3x Oculus Sensors
    Sold: ASUS Sabertooth X79: i7-3930K @ 4.9Ghz (6C/12 Threads), 32GB DDR3, 10,000 GB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti FE, ASUS PG278Q 27" 1440p G-SYNC 144Hz, full Logitech peripherals.
    Gaveaway: 1x GTX TITAN (Vanilla), 2x GTX 680, 2x AMD HD6970, 1x GeForce2 GTS

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 909
    3Jane
    Yeah, I still hope Oculus team work on this problem. Losing a ship just because Touch go to sleep without taking in account stick is highly frustrating....

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• SpicyAftermathSpicyAftermath Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited March 13
    same here. there are multiple games where i have this issue. 
    We're still investigating a solution, but it is looking like it should be possible.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    We're still investigating a solution, but it is looking like it should be possible.
    Art3mis
    Is there any way I could volunteer to beta test? I'm willing to take on any risk of bricked Touch controllers; this issue is preventing my application from working properly and I've actually had to switch to the Vive but that's not ideal for a variety of other reasons.
    Art3mis
    I heard back from developer support who said that this issue is "beyond our base platform and its intended usage scenarios" and that they aren't working on it. I appreciate that my own use case may be somewhat unique but widely played games like Elite Dangerous are anything but niche use cases! I think it's also worth pointing out that this problem is actually relatively new; it wasn't until a firmware update that came out maybe 3 or 4 months ago that I started experiencing this issue. Because the problem is in the firmware there's really no way I can code any sort of workaround. Due to this issue I've already had to switch my project to the Vive but that's really not something I want to do; IMHO the Touch controllers are way better!

@cybereality I appreciate you helping out and I really hope you're able to continue to advocate with the development team on our behalf!

edited March 26
    Yeah, it's something we are looking into. I think it's just not a high priority, but it's still on the radar. Thanks.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 752
    Trinity
    edited March 26
    While you're at this I strongly think it a good idea that we have a switch for Vibration OFF. Is there one in there already? Having tried Robinson: The Journey, it drained my battery by 50% just running around with metal sheets!
  • Mito.ZoMito.Zo Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Maybe an option to allow us to adjust the sleep timer for our controllers. I know the Xbox One controller goes to sleep automatically after an inactive period.
    Active: ASUS Zephyrus GX501: i7-7700HQ, GTX 1080 Max-Q (8GB), 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 15.6" 120Hz IPS G-SYNC, full Steelseries peripherals, Oculus Rift, Oculus Touch & 3x Oculus Sensors
    Sold: ASUS Sabertooth X79: i7-3930K @ 4.9Ghz (6C/12 Threads), 32GB DDR3, 10,000 GB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti FE, ASUS PG278Q 27" 1440p G-SYNC 144Hz, full Logitech peripherals.
    Gaveaway: 1x GTX TITAN (Vanilla), 2x GTX 680, 2x AMD HD6970, 1x GeForce2 GTS

• Lexor-HHLexor-HH Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited April 6
    Any news about this? It's realy annoying, if you play seated with resting arms.
    The most disadvantage with Rift hardware for me at the moment. Playing Skyrim and experiencing this issue continuously.
  • Elusive11Elusive11 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 7
    My left controller is constantly going to sleep while free roaming with the joystick. This mostly happens while seated. Like every few minutes I have to shake my left hand to wake it up.  I'm running into walls falling off cliffs. If any buttons or sticks are being pressed the controllers should stay awake.