cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorials fast but lobby laggy

chrissfoot2
Explorer
Hi all, 

I'd really love to play Echo Arena but my hardware is a bit under-powered. All of the other games I play run perfectly smoothly (Robo Recall, Elite Dangerous, First Contact) and the Echo Arena tutorials run beautifully, however, as soon as I go into the lobby it becomes an unplayable mess.

I'm running on a core i7 950 (running at 3.5ghz), 12gb DDR3 Ram with a Geforce GTX 960 (2gb) so I know i'm underpowered for VR but I was hoping since everything else runs perfectly that i'd be ok, even if I had to turn the graphics right down. Is there anything I can try to diagnose what is causing the huge slowdown? Failing that, which is the most important to upgrade, the gpu or the cpu (+mobo)? It does complain about my cpu not having the instruction set (AVX is the only one it doesn't have however) but again, other games complain about this and still run perfectly

Thanks

Chris
5 REPLIES 5

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
Well first check your settings for echo arena. Its on the left side when you start the game. (Look to the left).  Set everything to low and see if there is an option to lower the res scale. Your cpu is way below minimum spec but its an i7 so it is close. Your gpu is also dead minimum spec or even below it slightly for newer games. The 960 with only 2gb of vram is just not good for VR gaming in 2017. Your 960 can barely play many AAA games at high settings at just 1080p. It needs upgrading.

You need a new build. You need a new motherboard, cpu, and gpu. Get an i7 7700k or something really really good and a compatible motherboard. Then buy a gtx 1070 or 1080 or wait for amd vega in about a month like i am 😉

chrissfoot2
Explorer
I know that I do ultimately need to upgrade everything but getting the Mrs to agree to the £400 for the rift was hard enough! Another £600 (at least) for computer hardware just won't fly unfortunately! I'll just have to give it a miss and keep on playing elite I guess!

Having the tutorials run flawlessly is just such a tease!!

cleanupdisc
Adventurer
Did you go to the in game settings menu and lower the plenty of options there to "low" ?

chrissfoot2
Explorer
Yep, everything on as low as it will go and it didn't make any difference (other than looking much worse!). The tutorial ran fine with the settings turned up though so there must just be something different about the tutorial from the lobby. I suspect it's a cpu issue since the graphics would be basically the same but maybe processing the incoming data about other players is just too much for my old cpu. Unfortunately my board will only take first generation core processors too so I can't even just pop a new one in! Overclocking from 3ghz to 3.4ghz did see to increase the framerate by about 3fps though!

chrissfoot2
Explorer
Ok, so i've solved my issue without spending a penny!! If I minimise the mirror window on my monitor it plays beautifully! I have just punched the ceiling beams in my loft where I have the oculus setup a couple of times now though, oops..