New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Good grief, not another VR space game

HagarTheHorribleHagarTheHorrible Posts: 72
Hiro Protagonist
I didn't try the "Arena" beta, I still haven't, but in all the lead up to Lone Echo I wasn't overly fussed or excited.

IT's ANOTHER SPACE GAME, whoopee doo !!!!!

Well, I was just a little bit wrong there.  I'm getting to an age where I struggle to remain interested or excited by computer games (or have the dedicated time to learn the complexities of different games or genres) but Lone Echo, if not perfect, certainly goes to show the power of a good, involved, story.  Lone Echo is good, not just because it's a good game with highly polished graphics etc but because it does exactly what VR promises to do, but more often than not fails, and makes the player feel an important, integral, involved, part of the environment.

So I'd just like to say "Thanks" to the developers for producing a game (game feels inadequate, maybe it should be experience) that brings out the best qualities, shows a glimpse of what VR can do in the future and why it can be so much more compelling than traditional gaming with a monitor.

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,440 Valuable Player
    i really need to buy this, but will have to wait. i have splurged a lot on games this last month.

as for OP however... there can NEVER be enough VR space games  ;) - (ok i guess there can be, however compared to genres like FPSers and racing games, imo the "good quality" space game genre is still pretty sparse imo.)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SmokeGliderSmokeGlider Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    What Luciferous said.  It has a couple of issues but it is seriously immersive and addicting.
  • jim.franklin.3781jim.franklin.3781 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited January 14
    I just don't understand the logic of not having the ability to manually save. The gameplay is as slow as a glacier and you move as if swimming in syrup. Fine.. A task of going A to B can take 10 minutes. Fine. Wanting or having to quit only to come back and replay the entire last section. Not. I have replayed the "laser dodge" section WAY to many times which if you touch 2x= death = restart from the start. Already tedious at this early stage.
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 191
    Art3mis
    " I'm getting to an age where I struggle to remain interested or excited by computer games"
    You are never to old to be interested or excited about video games! 
    I am in my mid fifties and show now sign of losing interest :)
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just added my 3rd sensor yesterday and purchased Lone Echo.  I went to bed rather than checking it out last night.

I plan to give it a whirl when I get home from work.

Hoping to be amazed.  I read something about this being the VR experience of 2017.
    Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz
    NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    EVGA 11GB 1080 Ti FE w/ Hybrid cooler
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 Evo m.2 NvME 1TB x2
    NZXT S340 Elite
    Asus 23.6" 4K IPS
    Rift/Touch VR - 3 sensors

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    TravisPNW said:
    I just added my 3rd sensor yesterday and purchased Lone Echo.  I went to bed rather than checking it out last night.

Hoping to be amazed.  I read something about this being the VR experience of 2017.
    It's seriously amazing, the environment feels so tactile and the way you move about is pure joy. Never seen a VR title so well polished. You really get into it. If you liked the movie Gravity, this is like being Sandra Bullock only mechanical :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    TravisPNW said:

It's seriously amazing, the environment feels so tactile and the way you move about is pure joy. Never seen a VR title so well polished. You really get into it. If you liked the movie Gravity, this is like being Sandra Bullock only mechanical :)

Sounds good.  Yeah I've seen a lot of comments similar to yours so I'm excited to check it out tonight.
    Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz
    NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    EVGA 11GB 1080 Ti FE w/ Hybrid cooler
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 Evo m.2 NvME 1TB x2
    NZXT S340 Elite
    Asus 23.6" 4K IPS
    Rift/Touch VR - 3 sensors

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,037
    Wintermute
    With Lone Echo don't forget to go in settings and select smooth turning if you can handle it (others axes nonactivated by default are not recommended to active and not funny IMHO). Also I reduced smooth turn speed to 2,5 (vs 5 default) and you're done for a great experience :)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    Just to add my 2p worth.

Lone Echo is fantastic.  I bought it on Friday and finished it on sunday after two 12 hour VR sessions over the weekend.

It is simply the most immersive and graphically beautiful VR game I have played.

I thought I might get motion sickness from the 0g floating movement, (As I suffer pretty bad with this), but I was absolutely fine.

The story is so immersive and the way you are introduced to your controls and skills is so nicely interwoven. I've lost count the number of times, I just stood in Awe looking at my surroundings. Best game of 2017.  2018 has got to produce something VERY special to beat this!
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file