New Oculus Rift Owner! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

New Oculus Rift Owner!

drlazer19drlazer19 Posts: 28
edited April 2014 in Oculus Share
I purchased the dk1 myself and expect to see it this friday the 20th. I have been watching oculus rift closely for the last 2 years and am no where close to surprised how far they've come, infact I expected nothing less. I hear the dk2 will be out soon which makes me wonder if buying the dk1 was worth it. I hope its not as pixelly as everyone says...

Could I maybe get some feedback on how noticable the pixels are?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    To be honest, the dev kit is a little low res but it's still great fun.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Might that possibly be the bias of some one who's tried the 1080 HD version? I hear once you try that its pretty tough to turn back :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, it's definitely harder to go back but I still use the normal dev kit all the time and it's totally fine as long as you have realistic expectations.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Only got mine a couple weeks ago and it's awesome. Not tried the HD one but as long as the game isn't a flat colour the screen door effect isn't that noticeable and the pixellation is only really a problem with distance.
  • kakarotokakaroto Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Just ordered mine yesterday, can't wait for it to arrive! Website now says shipping is 3 to 5 days, so hopefully I won't wait long.
    Quite a bit worried about the low resolution and screen door effect of the DK1, but couldn't wait to give it a try. Hopefully, I won't notice anything :)
  • The resolution is most noticeable when you are standing still, barely looking around in bright environments.

But when you are knuckle deep in the Half Life VR mod in Ravenholm, you don't even think about the resolution. Honestly I don't even think about the resolution until I try to read a menu or watch something in vr cinema.
    Don't worry, it should whet your appetite...until the real thing comes. :lol:
  • Yeah, it's definitely harder to go back but I still use the normal dev kit all the time and it's totally fine as long as you have realistic expectations.

Just got the dk1 last month and I have to say I was disappointed... I blame the youtube videos for exaggerating it in my opinion.
    The screen door effect is more like an actual screen door and every game I played (for me) felt like i was playing them with my scuba mask on (which isn't pleasant).

That said, I appreciate the company, the CEO and the entire team very much and I am supporting them 110% till the end (let us hope there is no end)

You are right though, if you keep a realistic expectation you wouldn't be disappointed. :ugeek:
  • NatemoNatemo Posts: 56
    I'm now a owner awaiting it to arrive , I could not wait. I'm not sure what to expect ... everyone has different level of pickiness that may not really matter to some. Thanks for your posts.

Would be interesting to see a poll of how many people think its worth getting for "casual use".
    It may be ironic if they have the dev kit sell more for casual use then dev use.

Cheers cant wait!
  • M1L0M1L0 Posts: 27
    Natemo wrote:
    Would be interesting to see a poll of how many people think its worth getting for "casual use".
    It may be ironic if they have the dev kit sell more for casual use then dev use.
    Yes, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it already happened.
  • AckZapAckZap Posts: 5
    it's not too bad actually. you can see what looks like black lines, but if you relax and look at the image , it wont bother you much. hard to read small text but other than that it works fine
  • gumgumgumgum Posts: 16
    I got mine a few days ago it is great ! It is a bit low res, but still great fun, you won't notice them so much after some time :).
  • JuanitoJuanito Posts: 5
    Can't wait my DK2....