Oculus, are you joking..... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus, are you joking.....

Jonfun7Jonfun7 Posts: 14
NerveGear
So I done the test to see if it will work..

So I have ordered and can't wait to play, I have downloaded Oculus software ready for the big day.

So now this tells me it won't work?

I am so confused. I don't wanna cancel my order. I need a system that will work though.

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,088 Valuable Player
    Dont rely on a software tool as your ultimate source of truth for a VR Ready machine. What are your PC specs?
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • TelornTelorn Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    everything should be fine except maybe the graphics card. You'd probably want a 1060 at a minimum. But I haven't used a 1050 so I can't say for sure. I'm running on an AMD 290x without issues.
  • Jonfun7Jonfun7 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    + Processor
    You have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
    - Graphics Card
    You have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, which meets or exceeds our minimum system specification.
    + Memory
    You have 8 GB of RAM, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
    + Operating System
    You're running Windows 10 64-bit, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
    + USB
    You have USB 3.0 ports, which meets or exceeds our recommended system specification.
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 486
    Trinity
    Try reinstalling the software would be a good 1st step
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    GTX1050 is on the low-end, but will work. Sorta.
    NerveGear
    I really hope so, I got PSVR and hope this is better
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    The Nvidia GTX 1050 is really at the bottom bracket, the minimum you require to run VR. It can run a handfull of titles on the lowest possible settings. You really want GTX 1060 or greater in this particular case.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    wow that is a poor show!  oculus need to fix that. hopefully you will be ok for most things however. am i right in saying its a laptop so hard to upgrade?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    Yes laptop, just annoyed that the software they provide to tell you it will be ok, might be lying. 
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Just play.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
    3Jane
    edited July 2017
    Jonfun7 said:
    Yes laptop, just annoyed that the software they provide to tell you it will be ok, might be lying. 
    All the software does is literally tell you that your hardware meets the minimum i believe, it doesn't actually tell you how well it will run. In that regard i find the Steam VR test to be a lot more solid.
    NerveGear
    Nope steam test worse for me, said my Intel graphics card was no good. Did not mention the 1050.
  • mrhomelymrhomely Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Mine has always said that because of my i5 2500k is technically below spec...my gcard is a 1070 and it runs just fine despite the warning always being there.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,787 Valuable Player
    Jonfun7 said:
    I really hope so, I got PSVR and hope this is better

It will be.  Your machine is modern.  I have an I7 2600k that isn't even overclocked.  I get that same warning and all the games I've played run perfectly.  It is my processor that sets it off, I am guessing it's your video card since it's a newer card and the check doesn't actually test your system, it checks to see if you have what's on a list.  They may have not updated 1050 to appear on that list yet.  Either way, just ignore that message, your games should play fine.
    NerveGear
    Yeah I was going to order the action pack from the store while it was on offer, not going to now. Just in case it won't work.

Does the store always do random sales?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,111 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Yes to the random sales. Wasn't there a recent thread with someone with a laptop and a 1050TI that couldn't run anything ? Seriously I think you'll struggle. Does the card in the laptop have an HDMI output ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    yes hdmi output 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    Yeah just read that, don't look promising. Might cancel my order.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    Save a little longer for a better setup

You will appreciate quality VR more
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    NerveGear
    Yeah probably just stick to my PSVR for a year
    NerveGear
    so confused.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,787 Valuable Player
    Some laptops mix the GPU with the integrated gfx (the onboard crappy video) and they both share the same single HDMI port.  The integrated gfx causes problems because the rift may see that instead of the 1050 and not even send the video to the headset.  This is a fault of the Laptop manufacture for selling their product as VR ready and not testing it properly with at least one of the major VR hardware providers. If your laptop has a displayport out, you might be able to use a displayport to hdmi adaptor to connect your rift to the laptop.

Mine is a desktop, there's no way to mix the two ports on this setup.  The 1050 itself should be enough to power the rift just fine.
    NerveGear
    Should I risk getting it or cancel?
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    Can you easily test and return if it has issues?

If yes and everyones saying this can work then yes.

I would also link the actual page here for a final discussion.

Another member swore blind that his laptop was fine and oculus was broken only to learn it was underpowered and not even VR ready and unable to power a hmd

If not post links to other models, people here help you make the right choices  :)
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    3Jane
    Honestly, if you look at various gaming brands that release laptops (Asus, Razer, MSI, Acer etc) You find a common trend. They all have a GTX 1060 or higher as minimum and are clearly branded as VR ready.

If the laptop isn't clearly labeled as VR ready on the makers website or in a store, it is most likely, nearly 100% not going to run VR or if it does run, it won't be a good experience. the GTX 1050 really is, as i said before, the bottom line. It is what you require to run VR at the very minimum specifications and will not give you a great experience in most games.

For example, the Razer Blade 2017 model, starting at 1899 USD (1800 Euro) sports a GTX 1060 GPU, with the Razer Blade Pro(4000 USD) sporting a whopping 1080. https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

the MSI GT62 Dominator Pro series laptops, start at 1500 euro/USD with a 1060., the 2000 USD / Euro Variant  has a 1070. https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-6RE-Dominator-Pro.html#hero-overview

If it was me ? Cancel.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    Just use an external GPU. Problem solved.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • TelornTelorn Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2017
    1) His laptop may not have thunderbolt and 2) External GPU cases + the GPU are not cheap. That can be half the cost of a new laptop. Money may be better spent on building a desktop for VR.

That said, I'm using an Alienware 15 R2 with the Alienware Amplifier eGPU on an AMD 290x and it works very well. I'm about to upgrade it to an AMD Vega RX 64 or Nvidia 1080. Waiting to see the Vega results.
  • AustinllamaAustinllama Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I run my Rift on an Asus ROG GL702VS that I got at Best Buy for $1350.

Has a 1070 + HDD [add an M.2. SSD when $ allows]... It runs everything fine on the HDD but loading times are a bit slow initially.

Runs everything great, with supersampling and all... Going to replace the stock thermal conductive paste to better regulate heat and quiet down fan noise...

I have mine set up with 3 sensors and a bluetooth mouse. I used a USB-C to USB 3.0 hub, an active USB 2.0 5M extension for the third sensor, and 6Ft HDMI extender + 6Ft USB active 3.0 extender to run the HMD

I am very happy with the laptops performance, the sensors performance and the Rift's performance.

As a note: This laptop runs the rift + touch with 2 sensors without a USB hub, but takes every single USB port. It runs the rift playing robo recall with supersampling without passing 76 degrees, but other games can make it a bit hot. I have undervolted the CPU and GPU, and with a repaste it will be perfect for gaming/demo'ing the rift to family/friends.

I know that I had a hard time finding information when I was looking to get a setup for an affordable laptop + rift, so maybe this will help.

Hyperlinks to exact products purchased in text.