New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Installing Oculus App on Drive OTHER THAN C: Drive

trkent26trkent26 Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hi,

I have spent the past several hours attempting to run the initial Oculus Setup, but every time I get past the Terms and Conditions I get a screen saying that I cannot connect to the Oculus Servers (which I know is false--my Internet is working fine). After scrolling through several other forums and posts, I think if I am able to install the App onto any drive besides my C: drive (I have three drives -- C:, D:, and F:), my problems will be solved. BUT, I cannot figure out how to start the installation on my F: drive. I have tried to follow the steps on this page: 

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1676275305961321/

numerous times. Whenever I enter "OculusSetup /drive:F" into Run, Windows replies something similar to:

"Windows cannot find 'OculusSetup'. Please check your spelling and try again."

If anyone has suggestions for installing on separate drives, any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• trkent26trkent26 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    EDIT: When I enter the location of the Setup file before "/drive:F", instead of giving me an error, Windows will ask if I want to give permission to run the executable--however when I say 'yes', the setup program does not start.

For example: I enter "F:\Oculus\OculusSetup /drive:F" into run.
  • ThatPersonGuyThatPersonGuy Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Idk why Oculus made it this way, but It can only download the Oculus Software into your Program Files. I had this problem too, and unfortunately, you're just gonna have to clear some space in your C: drive. I'm pretty sure Oculus requires maybe about 10-13gb of storage. Something along those lines. The problem isn't a network issue, it's just a storage issue, at least that's what it was for me. This was my solution, so I hope it helps.
  • trkent26trkent26 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    @ThatPersonGuy I actually got it to work with this command

F:\Oculus\OculusSetup /drive=F

My new problem is that it won't successfully install. I keep getting the "Please restart your computer" error now.
  • Drunk3nShamanDrunk3nShaman Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    To bad really I can not buy games from them i have to stick with steam, if this is not fixed by the end of the year ill be moving on to VIVE.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You should be able to install on any drive, provided it is supported. You will need at least 120GB free, and the drive also needs to be NTFS format, simple volume (not dynamic), and not networked.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • TasicTasic Posts: 23
    NerveGear
    Hello I figured out a solution for this. Instead of doing it from Windows + R do it from your command prompt. Also instead of  OculusSetup /drive: [new system drive]     Do C:\Users\[User Name]\Downloads\OculusSetup/drive:D Use the command prompt
  • seperatezseperatez Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Tasic said:
    Hello I figured out a solution for this. Instead of doing it from Windows + R do it from your command prompt. Also instead of  OculusSetup /drive: [new system drive]     Do C:\Users\[User Name]\Downloads\OculusSetup/drive:D Use the command prompt
    so ive tried doing this and it tells me that the system cannot find the path specified any and all help is much appreciated
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,614 Volunteer Moderator
    Use a full path to the file, eg: C:\Users\lucas\Downloads\OculusSetup
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • seperatezseperatez Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Use a full path to the file, eg: C:\Users\lucas\Downloads\OculusSetup
    ive tried that and ive even tried doing everything in administrator mode
    what does it say in command prompt? Can not find the file specified or nothing happens?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

It should be C:\Users\lucas\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive:D or C:\Users\lucas\OculusSetup /Drive=D one of those should work, obviously replace my name with your own folder name

• TritonsviTritonsvi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    @realdaguru ^^^This answer is the best one!^^^ This worked for me.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,318
    3Jane
    edited March 2018
    I bet this was the latest Runtime or any after 0.7? I must use Runtime 0.7 for my CV1 on XEON DUAL-QUAD as the SSE4.1/4.2 cpu checks prevent install. It later then updates to latest anyways. My only downside is always Oculus to install to C:/ but I want that along with all APPS and OS anyways. Now at least Home2 can select which drives you want GAMES installed on plus you can even move them around also.
  • snotdawgsnotdawg Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    thank you real da guru. serioiusly thank you. that works great. i wish oculus would reword there shtuff so that it could be a simple read and then solution. thanks again. i logged in just to say YOU ARE THE MAN! or woman if youre a woman. thanks!
  • CondoriusCondorius Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2018
    For anyone using searching this thread in 2018, I used a combination of the two methods described above. Be aware downloads is not the path for most people who have users setup on their PC. It is C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=F.

So search for cmd prompt, right click and run as administrator. 
    Type cd\ to get to the root directory C:
    Then type in:
    C:\Users\[your_username_remove the brackets]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=[your_driveletter_remove the brackets].

Also, this is frigging ridiculous to have to do this. I feel like I time warped back to 1993 as a pimply faced teenager using dos to get my PC games to work lmao.
  • Gamertag115Gamertag115 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Condorius said:
    For anyone using searching this thread in 2018, I used a combination of the two methods described above. Be aware downloads is not the path for most people who have users setup on their PC. It is C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=F.

So search for cmd prompt, right click and run as administrator. 
    Type cd\ to get to the root directory C:
    Then type in:
    C:\Users\[your_username_remove the brackets]\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe/drive=[your_driveletter_remove the brackets].

Also, this is frigging ridiculous to have to do this. I feel like I time warped back to 1993 as a pimply faced teenager using dos to get my PC games to work lmao.
    i tried this but it said [The system cannot find the path specified.] what do i do?

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    See the instructions here:
    https://support.oculus.com/1829158827315721/

Just make sure in the command window you are in the folder where you downloaded the Oculus setup.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • golftylergolftyler Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Whenever you type in "[Drive]\Download\OculusSetup.exe /drive[=Whateverdriveyou'reusing] MAKE SURE you have a space betweeen the "OculusSetup.exe" and the "/drive" or it will not recognize the command. That's been my issue for a bit. Hope I've helped! 
  • JohnnyMemeJohnnyMeme Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I figured it out guys! This is 100% the way to do it! You first have to uninstall the Oculus app from your pc. I can't speak for people who have a ton of games, but since I only have a few this was fine. You then need to download the oculus setup onto your c drive. Then do Windows key+R to open run command thing. Then you need to make sure that you use this path C:\Users\johnp\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=I Make sure to replace my info for your username and target drive. You also have to make sure that there is a space between OculusSetup.exe and /drive. I didn't figure this out on my own I just put together everything up above at once. You just have to make sure that the oculus app is uninstalled so it installs onto target drive correctly.   
  • chessmaster200chessmaster200 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    LZoltowski's advice is the CORRECT advice. Use the command prompt and follow his instructions and VOILA!
  • chessmaster200chessmaster200 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My bad, when the dialog box comes up and I click on it, it disappears. Now what?
  • RudalplRudalpl Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    all this is silly...
    Installer will let you choose the location for the games and apps to install but not the main software ...
    I can't get it working even with all the tips from this thread.
    It keeps asking me for permission to let the program installed and then just nothing happens...
  • ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    SOLVED! So this thread is the top result when googling how to install the Oculus app on a non-C drive. I thought I should add my solution here for future googlers.

Using the Run app as instructed by Oculus didn't work for me, so I opened a cmd prompt with Administer privileges and simply entered:
    C:\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=F

With "C:\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe" being the full path to the installer and "F" being the drive of choice for installing the software.

This also worked for me. Thank you!
    Also, just in case this wasn't obvious to anyone else, make sure you don't already have Oculus installed. I had to uninstall Oculus from my C: drive and then run the command in cmd prompt to reinstall it to my other drive.
  • AuroraKitsuneAuroraKitsune Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Has anyone resolved it for those who get the command to work, a permission box pops up, you hit YES and then nothing happens after?

I have tried everything above, but after giving permission it does nothing :/ I would really appreciate any help if people who experienced the same got past this issue.
  • AuroraKitsuneAuroraKitsune Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Update: I got it working so ... access command prompt as administrator and type c:\Users\test\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe /drive=W

Change your username and drive type. I found the command /drive:W didn't work, only worked once I typed in =
    It didn't ask for permission it just started the setup right away. Hope these helps those who were struggling.