cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift works in SDK cal & world demo, nothing else works....

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cant figure out what is going on here and I am fairly good at troubleshooting.

I have had a rift now for a month and used it extensively, I know how it works.
I have learnt how to do the mirror screen option when needed etc.

I have gone through several demos and games, blue marble, iracing, most stuff in showcase.
Every thing has worked perfectly up untill just recently when the rift stopped working properly.
The rift stopped working but because of the way I was accessing my gaming PC I thought it was a driver issue so I completely reloaded my PC (Windows 7 -64 bit).

After a complete reload of the PC, its still not working but the Rift works perfectly fine in the SDK calibration, world demo and interactive utility, movement & visual world presentation is as it should, but NOTHING ELSE works, no other demo will function properly and I have tested a lot of them, I manly find a solid color on the screen.

I have done all the basic stuff I can think of, I have swapped dvi ports on the back of my gtx 660ti
I have installed fresh nvidia driver with just the driver and physics install.

It seems like some kind of hardware issue but if there was a hardware issue why would the Oculas rfit work fine in the SDK world house etc?

What would you do if you had a rift that is able to calibrate, work in the SDK interactive holodeck demo and SDK world but NOTHING else will work with it AND you have totally factory recovered your machine used the standard 660ti Microsoft driver and then also updated to Nivida latest driver.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just tried changing the dvi cable feeding the oculas with a HDMI and still same issue, every other demo or game does not work.

I have a saving grace that will enable me to for sure know what is causing this,

I have a Dell t3600 with a quadro card I used with this unit away from home and I will be able to connect the unit back to that, if it also has the same issue there which is a known good terminal to connect rift to.. then there is hardware failure in the box some how. I will be able to do that on Saturday.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot, I have done the firmware update to 18 via SDK firmware folder still same issue.

The only issue i can say that could have caused this, I am aware i may have left the oculas switched on for a number of hours not being used but that should not have broken it, just leaving it connected and powered on? Also if it was broken why would the SDK world and interactive work at all, it either works or doesnt right? unless the SDK addresses the unit in a different less demanding way than the full demos and games?

I have taken this week off as well to look at some dev stuff..

drash
Heroic Explorer
I remember the older SDK's had a requirement that something like the Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2010 was installed (otherwise, blank black or white screen or something), but that may not be the case anymore. But since you reloaded your PC it's worth looking into perhaps.

Hope you figure it out.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Anonymous
Not applicable
that rings a bell, I had to remove two Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2010 as a part of an installation, I think it was for Star Citizen, it was unable to progress unless an older version was removed of which I saw two (both with the same detail).

I think you might have pointed me in the right direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable
yep its fixed!!!! AWESOME

I just installed:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=14632

I have fired up a demo as a test and it starts no issue.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post in reply to me,

thank you once again, seriously thanks.

Bud

cybereality
Grand Champion
Wow! Glad you guys found the solution. That's a nasty problem.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV