cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is everyone dealing with the screen door effect?

RiftUser83
Protege
i have had my Rift for a few days now and I really like it alot, but the SDE is really killing the experience for me. Its very hard for me to feel like im in any environment because all i see is the bad looking screen. I really dont want to take it back for a refund so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it? Thanks

P.S. im running a 6600k @ 4.5ghz and a 1080ti so system specs isnt an issue.
56 REPLIES 56

edmg
Trustee
Most of the time, I don't see it. It's only really prevalent on areas of solid colours, so the more detailed the imagery, the less I see the screen door.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The SDE will be around for a while - All headsets have this effect because of the screen. It wont be going away until we can hit something like 16k by 16k. If you enjoy your VR unit - then enjoy VR. There isn't much you can really do without removing the qulity of the image. It's a trade off the most part (PSVR has it, Vive has it, Intel headsets, etc etc).

Mexxan
Explorer
PSVR has managed it already. I sold my Vive after a few weeks because of the cheese grater effect - putting my Rift on now and going to SteamVR is so much better, but you simply can't touch the screen/optics in PSVR, inferior? Maybe on paper but not when your using it. I'd have chromatic issues over SDE any day.

granted the PS4 Pro was a disappointment with my PSVR but I'd say Sony has cracked SDE this gen. unfortunately sold it because the move controllers were just crap and the tracking is so shite, it's starts warping even when your motionless.

Rift + PSVR screen? I'd be laughing this gen instead of eating for a 4Ker.

Anonymous
Not applicable
don't really notice it in my driving sims... in the real world you have a helmet on so you'd have same effect.

pyroth309
Visionary
I came to the rift after enjoying the glory of native 4k gaming for over a year and I went through the same thing with SDE. For the first probably 2 weeks, It just killed the experience for me in a lot of games but after awhile I just trained my brain to focus on what's going on in the game it became more of an afterthought but still always there.

In games that it's very apparent i just try to keep my head moving around and then I don't see it as much but you can't really do that when reading text and you get reminded it's there. It's just something that we have to deal with this generation. Ive also noticed that at certain ranges of AntiiAliasing or pixel density it makes the pixels look worse/huge which a lot of people confuse for SDE. All I can say is play around with your settings and get it the best you can then focus on being immersed. With a TI you should be able to run 1.8 or more pixel density which should help but if you're used to 4k gaming it's just gonna be a brain training thing to look past the SDE.

I had a PSVR also, which I just sold a few days ago, as well and it did have better screen door but it was still there. The gaps were definitely smaller due to the arrangement and it made it less noticeable but I also never felt as immersed as I do with the Rift for w/e reason be it motion or higher graphic fidelity. My PC is an enthusiast rig so the graphics were a lot better and sharper looking on my Rift even with having to look at them through the worse screen door. Hopefully Next Gen will finally make SDE a thing of the past and we can get our high res graphics fix on.

shiari
Heroic Explorer

so im wondering what others are doing to either fix the sde or how they are dealing with it?

Simple: I stopped focusing on it. It's going to always be there, it's not going to go away with anything you can do, and you can either focus on it being there or you can focus on enjoying the overall experience. While it's going to be here to stay at least for this gen (and next gen would not have the GPU power needed just yet to drive much higher resolution screens at adequate frame rates) this "screen door effect" will only bother you to the level you let it bother you, it's all about your own mindset.

frankelfert
Protege
For me it depends on the game. Some games or wors than others. If i play games like Launch for Mercury or Bullit Train i don't notice it. But games like Robo Recall or Lone Echo I can clearly see the SDE. Also movies are a deal breaker....

But we have to remember that we are early adopters... VR is just getting started. Maybe developers will overcome this SDE with some tweaking, otherwise we will have to wait for Rift CV2 or 3 😉

It's not a deal breaker for me, I accept the SDE. It's better then going back to play games on 3 screen in high res. Now i'm into the game, instead of before the game 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
On the plus side - CV2 is looking promising into removing about 40-50% of the current amount of SDE you will be seeing  going off the current display advancements. SDE will show itself more when objects are far away like in Robo Recall and Lone Echo, but that can be over time by the brain pretty easy as others have said.

PSVR still has SDE though - I've used it and you can still see it and the image quality isn't as sharp - that is the trade off Sony did from having a sharp image to having a sightly blurry one. Like I said - the SDE wont be going away till 16k by 16k but the closer we get to that - the harder it'll be to see the SDE. The closer we get to the 16k resolution - the harder and harder you'll have to look for it. I wouldn't be surprise if we can still see it at 16k though - but at that point you are forcing yourself to see/find it.

There is another trade off as well - increasing FOV will also introduce some SDE again on the sides - but considering most of our focal point is in the middle of the eye about mmm 30 degrees of the 100 degree view - we should be able to spare some of the resolution as we move forward to increasing the FOV decently safely while increasing the resolution in the middle more and more. Eye tracking will help a ton here.

The big problem at that point will be brought back to the lenses themselves - but that is for another topic:)

Nisei
Protege
Using a 4K screen already makes a huge difference!
Not that the Pimax renders at 4K but it does solve the screendoor effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqEXBkwZK8