cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cups and eyesight (diopters) and general faq for newcomer

HiCZoK
Protege
Hi guys. I have rift since yesterday and it is fantastic!
My dad is using it now even more than me :lol: he is terrified by all the coasters and gets immersed no problem.
My sister had to take off the rift on citadel coaster and my head hurts a plenty after whole day.

So I've been experimenting with cups and quality. My rift is connected via hdmi to hdmi cable that came with it. Dont think dvi is any difference. its all digital anyway. The greyscale is somewhat not right tho...
but back to the cups.

My eyes are -1.5 diopters per eye. That is nearsighted.
A cups make text not readable. i am talking about hud ammuniton information in half-life 2 and about text on desktop.
B cups make those readable when i focus or fiddle rift around on my head.
C cups make it all very readable no problem. idon't have to focus, but everything (like pixels) seems big and close but maybe its my imagination 😉
ofc, with a cups screen is moved away a bit and with b and c cups screen is as close as possible.I am just having hard time deciding between B and C for some reason

I dont think fov changes more than 10% going from A to C. After all screen comes closer.

So does that seem right, to use C cups with my eyesight ? (bad thing is that my dad is farsighted and A fits hime well so much of switching)
also. I am clonning now. heard its not good idea ?
7 REPLIES 7

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, that sound about right. I'm around -2.5 on my prescription, so I still need to wear my glasses.

I usually use the A lens since I feel the FOV is greater. But if you can use C without glasses that's great.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Welby
Adventurer
I've more or less the same diopters and i've done a lot of attemps to find out the best solution.

At the beginning i've used A cups+ my glasses because the shape isn't too much big.

I thought is the perfect combination but when i tried B cups i find out that B cups+glasses is the better choice for me,better than
-A cups+Glasses
-C cups without glasses
-C cups+glasses
-B cups without glasses.

- A cups+glasses i see good but not too much focused.

- C cups without glasses maybe is the only choice where i see like or similar than B+glasses but The FOV is too much reduced in my opinion,is like to see inside a binoculars.

-C cups+glasses is too much focused,is like to see with glasses with more diopters than i have.

-B cups without glasses i see not bad but too less focused.

So.. i've 1.75 and 2.0 so maybe isn't exactly the same,but i think the best solution is B+Glasses. In your case,if you didn't see very well only with B cups without glasses,can be the great solution for you as for me.

I hope this is useful!

🙂

HiCZoK
Protege
thanks! usefull answerws. Will once again try my luck with B cups vs C and maybe even my glasses will fit there

HiCZoK
Protege
sorry, can i have one more question (or two)
1.I am using hdmi cable from OR box. Some say dvi is better. is that true? I used the adapter but it looks the same to me. I would have to buy one to try.
2.How to change washed out black levels on amd card ?
3.Do I need to set some global settings for Oculus rift ? Or can I just be playing modded games and fantastic demos made by You guys ? I mean, ipd and all that stuff. i have not been reading much on those yet.
4.What fulll games are supported by mods or official updates ? I know Doom3, Hl2, Minecraft... anything more ? I would love to play F.E.A.R 1

and btw. checked B lenses again and I think the FOV is a bit bigger than C. My rift needs to be tighty sitting on my head and then I see all right.

again. Absolutely LOVING this thing.
and sorry for taking time of the developers here. I am jsut a consumer... Well maybe not really. I am now doing a master degree at university of Gdansk in Poland. Just an IT. Some programming here and there but mostly networking and hardware stuff. I will surely show OR to most of my teachers and maybe they will pass me a free one 😄
Enthusiast that is.. I don't think many people in Poland have Oculus. I surely must be one person in my Town 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
Black levels are slightly better over DVI, but most people probably can't tell the difference.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Welby
Adventurer
"hiczok" wrote:
sorry, can i have one more question (or two)
1.I am using hdmi cable from OR box. Some say dvi is better. is that true? I used the adapter but it looks the same to me. I would have to buy one to try.
2.How to change washed out black levels on amd card ?
3.Do I need to set some global settings for Oculus rift ? Or can I just be playing modded games and fantastic demos made by You guys ? I mean, ipd and all that stuff. i have not been reading much on those yet.
4.What fulll games are supported by mods or official updates ? I know Doom3, Hl2, Minecraft... anything more ? I would love to play F.E.A.R 1

and btw. checked B lenses again and I think the FOV is a bit bigger than C. My rift needs to be tighty sitting on my head and then I see all right.

again. Absolutely LOVING this thing.
and sorry for taking time of the developers here. I am jsut a consumer... Well maybe not really. I am now doing a master degree at university of Gdansk in Poland. Just an IT. Some programming here and there but mostly networking and hardware stuff. I will surely show OR to most of my teachers and maybe they will pass me a free one 😄
Enthusiast that is.. I don't think many people in Poland have Oculus. I surely must be one person in my Town 😄

3) i think you have to set your ipd with oculusconfigutiliy that you can find in tuscany demo,other than that you haven t to do nothing,i think.Maybe you can adjust che constrast,i ve increased a lot to improve the colors.

4)Warthunder,hawken,team fortress 2 is also official games playble with oculus without any special drivers like vorpx or other things.

No problem for all questions,honestly i think this is a forum for developers and enthusiast too 😄

HiCZoK
Protege
thanks !
maybe will try dvi tomorrow. increasing contrast on the rift doesnt do much. going to full rgp in amd settings dont do much either.

and yes. i did the ipd testing today. My result is 60.6mm. I've done the test as long as I've only seen a few pixels of green line left each time.
This applies to everything I run on rift automaticly? Or is that just a result for my knowledge so I know what to set in apps ?

So that is one question. I have also another set of questions after today regarding resolution and antyaliasing (I have powerfull pc)
Example application - vr cinema.
1)So - Should I be setting 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions in apps? In vr cinema I dont think there is much aspect difference between 720p and 800p. Is there or is the rift scaling it some other way?
2) To get best quality I am downsampling with ssaa x4 and running in 1920x1200 res. But is it better to run everything at native res of the rift and then apply ssaa x4 (its aa which works like downsampling). btw. alone 1200p dont do much over 800p without aa.

any tips and tricks on maximizing my visuals are welcome. I am still a newbie to this thing. 1200p and 4xssaa does it all good with jaggies but colours still suck. Also - I am using triple buffering, vsync, afx16 and frame queing of 1. all forced with radeonpro
edit: oh and btw. i am decided on B cups with screen moved away a bit. and I had a hard time wiping the screen thru the lens holes. I made it all terrible 😛