New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Center of lens seems very blurry

TreerootzTreerootz Posts: 2
NerveGear
So i've had my rift for 5 days now, and im noticing more and more that the very center of the lens is way blurrier then the rest of the lens... If I tilt my head down and look up at text, looking at it from the top half of the lens, its super clear, but looking at it straight on from the middle of the lens it's nearly unreadable. Is this common? Should I return the rift and exchange it for a new one? I've tried adjusting up, down, left, right.... If the middle looked as clear as the edges, it would be amazing.

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,250
    Wintermute
    Have you cleaned the lenses?
    Someone here said that the headset should be lower on your face than you think. I thought that sounded a bit dodgy, but I tried it and it made a difference. Also try rotating the headset up and down, it pivots where the straps join the headset.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • TehJumpingJawaTehJumpingJawa Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Redo the green lines calibration; sounds like you've either got the wrong IPD, or the headset's vertical position isn't at the right level for your eyes.
  • TreerootzTreerootz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I did, I found a spot that's clearer then before, but still really hard to read things when looking straight on... if I tilt my head down and look up it's super clear
  • DieslowDieslow Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    It might be the adjustment that is not correct ... often when it is not tight enough I can't barely read at all so try making it tighter just in case.
  • HenskisenHenskisen Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue with rift ...

It has always been like that, I can only read stuff positioning it on the edges. Like you said, i got to tilt my head down and look up.

I'm nearsighted btw
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Henskisen said:
    I have the same issue with rift ...

It has always been like that, I can only read stuff positioning it on the edges. Like you said, i got to tilt my head down and look up.

I'm nearsighted btw
    Can you see clearly at about 1.5 meters?  Are you wearing your glasses?  If you're looking through the center of the lenses it will place the image at a focal point of about 1.5 meters.  Further out from there the focus point changes.  I think effectively closer, but I'm not sure.

If you can't see clearly at 1.5 meters and you're not wearing your glasses you're never going to see clearly through the center of the lenses.

What you should expect to see when looking straight at something is that the clearest image will be around that point, you should be looking through the sweet spot.  The clearest area.  And the imagine will be fuzzier around it.

• defaulthumandefaulthuman Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I noticed this issue recently too. I've had issues with the lenses fogging up, and found that when my place is very cold, I get fogging in the center. If that might be your issue, try a warmer environment. 
  • Van-ZomerenVan-Zomeren Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issues, extremely blurry image at the middle but crystal clear at top and bottom of the view. I also notice a large greenish band matching the blurry spots when the VR background image is black. It is asymmetrical (higher on the left lent than the right one). Lents are clean, i hope it’s a configuration issue and not a hardware one; It’s a pretty big problem since the blurry zone is 80% of the view and right in the middle, almost impossible to read any text even at close distance. Pls help :(
  • Scottbrady86Scottbrady86 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited August 2018
    Treerootz said:
    I did, I found a spot that's clearer then before, but still really hard to read things when looking straight on... if I tilt my head down and look up it's super clear

If you've only had the unit for a short time and are still under return/replace policy, I'd just return it. Mines the same way. Most people have little to no experience with really high resolution, high image quality displays. I'm astonished that the rift is even remotely close to popular. After about 45 minutes with the thing, the only thing I can think of is how blurry everything looks. They've got a long way to go before people like us can enjoy these things without the constant image quality distractions. I mean seriously, I'm going to break the lens adjustment on mine because I'm moving it around every 5 seconds HOPING that one time everything will stop being blurry. But it's just blurry always. Oculus Blur. I'm returning mine tomorrow.