New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Air baloon demo

stokisstokis Posts: 90
edited November 2013 in Games and Apps
Hi!

I made my third demo for Oculus Rift in unity - "Air baloon demo". In the demo you can fly in air baloon up in the sky and clouds. There is even one more air baloon flying with you.

My dev kit will arrive in june, so i can only read what you experience from my demo. Please give me a feedback.

Here is a download link (working):
http://files.inbox.lv/ticket/dc987a5e23e1d8f816fddcdaeecb811a3cce0ce0/Air_baloon.rar

Comments

• MikeArms24MikeArms24 Posts: 519
    Hiro Protagonist
    Awesome, thanks for this. Mine shows up in a really bright CGA looking mode, only like 3 colors. Not sure what's going on.
    Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
    http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)
  • stokisstokis Posts: 90
    MikeArms24 wrote:
    Awesome, thanks for this. Mine shows up in a really bright CGA looking mode, only like 3 colors. Not sure what's going on.

i have normal colors on my monitor. Is it only when you plug in the Oculus Rift, or it is CGA on your monitor too?
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't have the rift yet, maybe that's the problem?
  • mihalskimihalski Posts: 201
    Hiro Protagonist
    Are you sure you aren't using a CGA monitor? ;P
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Very nice. It's relaxing to just lean back and let the hills and bays drift past. Makes me think that a hot air fly over of some interesting territory (Jurassic Park, Pandora, the ruins of some ancient civilization) might be a very pleasant way to get used to VR without the demands of rapid movement found in most games. After being in this "world" for several trips back and forth, I still had no touch of motion sickness.
  • lazydodolazydodo Posts: 76
    Looks fine here, however, this demo cries for positional tracking! literally the first thing I instinctively did was try to lean out of the basket and look down which naturally didn't work :(
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The file looks corrupted to me. It downloaded, but it was only 27K and didn't extract.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    mihalski wrote:
    Are you sure you aren't using a CGA monitor? ;P
    Nope, upgraded my CGA monitor to one of these guys a while back. Acer HN274H Bmiiid 27" 3D monitor http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390358,00.asp
  • space123321space123321 Posts: 134
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mine downloaded fine and it looks great through the rift! Thanks for sharing!
    The file looks corrupted to me. It downloaded, but it was only 27K and didn't extract.

pls try to download one more time. others have no problems with files.
  • LNRrgBLNRrgB Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Downloaded fine for me. But wait.... no propane blasts to heat the balloon air???? What about splash down ripples when we hit the water surface??? Ok, I know, just a demo.... but I was waiting for that burst of flame up inside the balloon. Plus I saw some clouds pass through into the balloon.... Ok, sorry, I should not b--tch. It was cool, and yes, a prime target for that positional tracking mod using the hydras. Thx
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    cool little demo! thanks for sharing.

quick critique: the render dropoff is distracting (when tilting my head the mountains in the distance drop off the imaginary plane). if it could be extended or faded out with fog it would be more immersive!
    i'm building STV.RE
  • RoTaToR1979RoTaToR1979 Posts: 115
    Brain Burst
    it works, its nice look at the wooden car and the hills.
    LNRrgB wrote:
    Downloaded fine for me. But wait.... no propane blasts to heat the balloon air???? What about splash down ripples when we hit the water surface??? Ok, I know, just a demo.... but I was waiting for that burst of flame up inside the balloon. Plus I saw some clouds pass through into the balloon.... Ok, sorry, I should not b--tch. It was cool, and yes, a prime target for that positional tracking mod using the hydras. Thx

Burst of flame would be cool and fast to make. I know there are many things to improve, but it takes time. I am learning coding only for 2 weeks now, so it takes me extra time to make something. Hydras for propane flame control would be great, for controlling vertical flight.
    I need to learn how to program the hydras, it's one of my main tasks to do in near future.
  • Hi Stokis

Very nice works great no probs
    Looking forward to seeing it threw the eyes of a rift
  • ZonetripperZonetripper Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Nice work!

Check out the Aurora Wager for inspiration on air baloon gameplay.
    http://7drl.org/2013/03/18/the-aurora-wager-gameplay/

come to think of it i bet the Aurora Wager would take rift integration nicely as well :)
  • danworlddanworld Posts: 127
    Hiro Protagonist
    Really nice demo. You can just sit in your chair and look all around quite naturally.

Like the helicopter demo, this one also did not cause too much motion sickness.

This may be the very first demo I'll be showing my friends because it feels the most natural.
  • jrd3djrd3d Posts: 138
    Hiro Protagonist
    How to I stop from "falling out" of the basket? Whenever I start it, without even pressing anything, a second later I fall to the ground. How do I stay in the basket or reset myself back in the basket?
  • jf032jf032 Posts: 29
    (Doubtful that cybereality will see this, but..) The .rar file actually goes to a webpage, not the file itself, so click on the link in his post to go download the actual file.

edit: just tried this out (don't have a Rift yet). Looks like it would be neat place to hang out in the Rift for several minutes.
    jrd3d wrote:
    How to I stop from "falling out" of the basket? Whenever I start it, without even pressing anything, a second later I fall to the ground. How do I stay in the basket or reset myself back in the basket?

i don't know why you have such bug.. sorry.
  • OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    Totally looked up in panic trying to blast more hot air when the balloon suddenly started to fall into the water. I was like, "Oh, man i'm so dead falling at this speed" then after a long pause from the simple bounce back up, I was like "what the hell" and everyone started laughing in the room.

You should make a game like "The Aurora Wager", that would be fun.
    Totally looked up in panic trying to blast more hot air when the balloon suddenly started to fall into the water. I was like, "Oh, man i'm so dead falling at this speed" then after a long pause from the simple bounce back up, I was like "what the hell" and everyone started laughing in the room.

You should make a game like "The Aurora Wager", that would be fun.

thank you for describing your experience :) i'm not a game developer, i'm just a freetime programmer. When i will get my dev kit in the end of june, may be i will develop this demo a little further, but don't expect a full game from me ;)
  • DannySwishDannySwish Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Do you think you could build an OS X version?
    s6n5lt.jpg
    Intel i7 4770k | GTX 980
  • PostmodestiePostmodestie Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    How did you do the clouds?

Most particle-clouds i've seen rotate when tilting the head, but yours stay in place!

Maybe someone has an answer? Thanks!
    The clouds are made from particles. I can't describe all settings how i made them, because i don't have unity installed on my pc, but i remember that i just took defalt particles and played with particle settings so that particles look like clouds. But i made from particles only one cloud and i used spawning script to spawn many clouds on my map.
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    My take on Air Baloon Demo

Very relaxing, very peaceful, very comfortable, a very good example of casual gaming on the oculus rift.

I'm looking forward to a HD Rift and experiences such as theses in the near future.

I've posted on http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/02/205/

• moltonmolton Posts: 388
    Hiro Protagonist
    yay, I'm going on a hot air baloon ride when my Rift arrives!!
  • kithraxkithrax Posts: 20
    Very casual sense to this... Would love to pop the other balloon >:)
  • PD333PD333 Posts: 6
    Hi. Just got my Rift and tried the download link, but appears the file is not available :(
    PD333 wrote:
    Hi. Just got my Rift and tried the download link, but appears the file is not available :(

i will update the download link after 10 hours. Than it will work ;)